Singapore Expats Forum
 

LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

One World International School




Sponsored by:

Singapore Immigration Experts
Post Reply
ashtag06
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 2:58 am

LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by ashtag06 » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 9:22 pm

I previously left a post about my situation: I am a UK citizen, wife SG citizen who have both been living and working in the UK for the past 7 years.

We are looking to relocate when her UK visa expires in October 2021.

It's looking increasingly likely that I'd be able to continue undertaking my UK job but remotely from Singapore once we move.

However, after reading a few posts I've noticed that an LVTP seems to only be issued once the spouse can show CPF/tax contributions and that they can 'support' their partner. If I am to apply for a LVTP, would it be wise for her to make voluntary CPF/tax contributions to Singapore so that I could apply for an LVTP as soon as I arrive in SG?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:50 pm

I don't think it's necessary for CPF in this case. It's more important she can show she / you has the wherewithal to support you for an LTVP and that can be done via payslips etc.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ashtag06
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 2:58 am

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by ashtag06 » Sat, 20 Feb 2021 3:32 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:50 pm
I don't think it's necessary for CPF in this case. It's more important she can show she / you has the wherewithal to support you for an LTVP and that can be done via payslips etc.
I see. As she's been working in the UK and would likely need to find new work in SG, would her UK payslips be sufficient? Or would they expect her to indicate a wage in SG?

Sbk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 6:39 pm

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by Sbk » Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:38 am

My friend recently applied for LTVP and they asked for all the documents during the application itself which you need to upload, including a letter of verification from your work place stating the date you joined, gross salary and job description, you also need to upload 6 months of your salary slip. This goes for both the Singaporean and the applicant. They are not bothered if your spouse is working in Singapore or not but of course they will know since she needs to authorise them to check her cpf statements. So in this case it’s really case to case if they will approve it for you guys.

ashtag06
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 2:58 am

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by ashtag06 » Mon, 22 Feb 2021 5:43 pm

Sbk wrote:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:38 am
My friend recently applied for LTVP and they asked for all the documents during the application itself which you need to upload, including a letter of verification from your work place stating the date you joined, gross salary and job description, you also need to upload 6 months of your salary slip. This goes for both the Singaporean and the applicant. They are not bothered if your spouse is working in Singapore or not but of course they will know since she needs to authorise them to check her cpf statements. So in this case it’s really case to case if they will approve it for you guys.
OK, thanks for the info. I guess it is a bit more risky. We would obviously be able to provide details of her existing job and pay, but there's a chance she won't be able to continue that job remotely if and when we move to SG. I am hoping to get my work to transfer me to work in SG but given the current climate that would be dependent on me getting an LTVP + LOC to work. Otherwise I would have to wait a few months once my partner has found a local job in Singapore.

Does that sound about right to you?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Feb 2021 8:49 am

Could you use a PEP? You can apply and set it up from overseas and your primary income can be from that overseas employer.
From ICA:
An overseas foreign professional and your last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $18,000. Your last drawn salary should have been within 6 months before you apply.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sbk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 6:39 pm

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by Sbk » Tue, 23 Feb 2021 2:07 pm

ashtag06 wrote:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 5:43 pm
Sbk wrote:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:38 am
My friend recently applied for LTVP and they asked for all the documents during the application itself which you need to upload, including a letter of verification from your work place stating the date you joined, gross salary and job description, you also need to upload 6 months of your salary slip. This goes for both the Singaporean and the applicant. They are not bothered if your spouse is working in Singapore or not but of course they will know since she needs to authorise them to check her cpf statements. So in this case it’s really case to case if they will approve it for you guys.
OK, thanks for the info. I guess it is a bit more risky. We would obviously be able to provide details of her existing job and pay, but there's a chance she won't be able to continue that job remotely if and when we move to SG. I am hoping to get my work to transfer me to work in SG but given the current climate that would be dependent on me getting an LTVP + LOC to work. Otherwise I would have to wait a few months once my partner has found a local job in Singapore.

Does that sound about right to you?
I wouldn’t say risky, ICA works in mysterious ways, you never know what the outcome will be, I guess they care more about if your spouse is currently working regardless of the location as that will tell them if she is here in Singapore she will most likely find a job ASAP and continue working, they might issue you 1 year of the LTVP and then when it’s time to renew they will see if your spouse has already secured a job. Note that Singapore loves when their citizens are returning to stay in Singapore, so that could be an advantage for you. As for the work, yes it will be much easier when you have a LTVP + LOC as u won’t have to get a work permit to work which could prove difficult due to the current climate. If you ask me, I will say go right ahead and apply for that LTVP while your spouse is still working, but you might want to apply for the pre-LTVP which if it’s approved, you will have much higher chances of securing a LTVP within short period of just 8 weeks as oppose to not having a pre-LTVP which could take 6 months.

ashtag06
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 2:58 am

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by ashtag06 » Sun, 28 Feb 2021 11:25 pm

Sbk wrote:
Tue, 23 Feb 2021 2:07 pm
ashtag06 wrote:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 5:43 pm
Sbk wrote:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:38 am
My friend recently applied for LTVP and they asked for all the documents during the application itself which you need to upload, including a letter of verification from your work place stating the date you joined, gross salary and job description, you also need to upload 6 months of your salary slip. This goes for both the Singaporean and the applicant. They are not bothered if your spouse is working in Singapore or not but of course they will know since she needs to authorise them to check her cpf statements. So in this case it’s really case to case if they will approve it for you guys.
OK, thanks for the info. I guess it is a bit more risky. We would obviously be able to provide details of her existing job and pay, but there's a chance she won't be able to continue that job remotely if and when we move to SG. I am hoping to get my work to transfer me to work in SG but given the current climate that would be dependent on me getting an LTVP + LOC to work. Otherwise I would have to wait a few months once my partner has found a local job in Singapore.

Does that sound about right to you?
I wouldn’t say risky, ICA works in mysterious ways, you never know what the outcome will be, I guess they care more about if your spouse is currently working regardless of the location as that will tell them if she is here in Singapore she will most likely find a job ASAP and continue working, they might issue you 1 year of the LTVP and then when it’s time to renew they will see if your spouse has already secured a job. Note that Singapore loves when their citizens are returning to stay in Singapore, so that could be an advantage for you. As for the work, yes it will be much easier when you have a LTVP + LOC as u won’t have to get a work permit to work which could prove difficult due to the current climate. If you ask me, I will say go right ahead and apply for that LTVP while your spouse is still working, but you might want to apply for the pre-LTVP which if it’s approved, you will have much higher chances of securing a LTVP within short period of just 8 weeks as oppose to not having a pre-LTVP which could take 6 months.
Thanks! - I wasn't aware the turnaround for an LTVP was so long, I had assumed from what I had read that it was a relatively short period of time. I've not read about pre-LVTP - any idea where I can find out about that on official SG gov websites? Like you said, sounds like the best thing us to do.

In your opinion is it worth us applying before we head to Singapore? I know they typically say you can't apply for an LTVP until you're in Singapore

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 9:51 am

I think he means a pre-assessment. There is that available on the ICA website somewhere.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MOCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 8:43 pm

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 7:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 9:51 am
I think he means a pre-assessment. There is that available on the ICA website somewhere.
Official name is PMLA and that’s before getting married. OP is already married so he can only just apply for LTVP. If married for more than 3 years, maybe he might be granted LTVP+.

ashtag06
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 2:58 am

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by ashtag06 » Sun, 07 Mar 2021 10:17 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 7:06 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 9:51 am
I think he means a pre-assessment. There is that available on the ICA website somewhere.
Official name is PMLA and that’s before getting married. OP is already married so he can only just apply for LTVP. If married for more than 3 years, maybe he might be granted LTVP+.
We've been married for nearly 6 years. Can I just clarify, because we are already married that I'd only be eligible for LVTP/LVTP+?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: LVTP - tax and CPF contributions

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Mar 2021 8:18 am

ashtag06 wrote:
Sun, 07 Mar 2021 10:17 pm
MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 7:06 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 9:51 am
I think he means a pre-assessment. There is that available on the ICA website somewhere.
Official name is PMLA and that’s before getting married. OP is already married so he can only just apply for LTVP. If married for more than 3 years, maybe he might be granted LTVP+.
We've been married for nearly 6 years. Can I just clarify, because we are already married that I'd only be eligible for LVTP/LVTP+?
Yes. However there is a small risk that this may change due to rising unemployment in Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests