Singapore Expats

Anyone else thinking of ordering a Tesla online here? Cheaper than a Camry!

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Anyone else thinking of ordering a Tesla online here? Cheaper than a Camry!

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 11:55 am

The Model 3 (base model) is $112,845 all costs in except for COE.

The (Tesla) have completely cut out the stealerships inbetween and now there are some significant rebates for clean cars here including a 20k early adopter rebate.

I am very tempted. There is a big roll out of chargers coming and with a range of 448 km I only need to charge once a week. condo's are being offered free chargers now by an enterprising firm.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Anyone else thinking of ordering a Tesla online here? Cheaper than a Camry!

Post by the observer » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 12:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 18 Feb 2021 11:55 am
The Model 3 (base model) is $112,845 all costs in except for COE.

The (Tesla) have completely cut out the stealerships inbetween and now there are some significant rebates for clean cars here including a 20k early adopter rebate.

I am very tempted. There is a big roll out of chargers coming and with a range of 448 km I only need to charge once a week. condo's are being offered free chargers now by an enterprising firm.

Reliability?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-r ... 1612788928

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 1:17 pm

I've got enough friends with Teslas who have had ZERO issues to not worry about that.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 1:37 pm

My family is definitely considering it as well, but we will probably wait for chargers to become more widespread because it’ll be quite inconvenient to have to charge if the nearest chargers are a distance away as they are right now. For now we’re just very excited about the prospect of owning one; previously they costed upwards of $500,000 because of import fees so there were only a handful in Singapore, $112,000 puts them at a much more accessible price point. Also if I’m not wrong they won’t be able to deliver for some time, any idea when the first ones will arrive?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 2:05 pm

Mid 2021 Lisa. You can get a charger for free in some condos - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... n-14052238

You could put down the $150 as a gamble to secure your spot (and rebate).

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 5:48 pm

EVs are extremely reliable mechanically and performance wise. 20 moving parts compared to 2000 in an IC engine car. If the battery warranty coincided with COE validity, it'd completely derisk EV in Singapore. Having said that, given that battery is most expensive part, I think we could see a subscription based revenue model in coming years where manufacturers will continually upgrade the software on their cars in return for ongoing battery warranty or something similar.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 6:52 pm

EVs may well be more reliable than an ICE car.

However, as a manufacturer, how does Tesla fare.
Would you pick a Toyota EV or Lexus EV over a Tesla?

Just thinking aloud.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 2:07 am

the observer wrote:
Fri, 19 Feb 2021 6:52 pm

Just thinking aloud.
Toyota and Lexus are both Toyota products and both share many parts (with a different name stamped onto them), for example, engines, transmissions, electric window openers and much more.

And, I'd take the reliability of a Toyota/Lexus over a Tesla any day of the week. Sure, the electric motor drive in a Tesla is good but there are many other components that Tesla doesn't have long term experience with... AC units, wheel bearings, nav units...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:23 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 2:07 am
the observer wrote:

Just thinking aloud.
Toyota and Lexus are both Toyota products and both share many parts (with a different name stamped onto them), for example, engines, transmissions, electric window openers and much more.

And, I'd take the reliability of a Toyota/Lexus over a Tesla any day of the week. Sure, the electric motor drive in a Tesla is good but there are many other components that Tesla doesn't have long term experience with... AC units, wheel bearings, nav units...
I’m not sure this is true. My relatives in the states who own teslas are always raving about the fantastic customer service. From what I know, anytime you have an issue with the car the team is more than willing to fix it up for you quickly and usually for free unless there is serious damage.

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Wed, 24 Feb 2021 2:30 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:23 pm
Myasis Dragon wrote:
the observer wrote:

Just thinking aloud.

I’m not sure this is true. My relatives in the states who own teslas are always raving about the fantastic customer service. From what I know, anytime you have an issue with the car the team is more than willing to fix it up for you quickly and usually for free unless there is serious damage.
I agree. I personally think Teslas are amazing! We rent them when we go to the UK or the states for holidays ( we preordered it here but we haven't received it yet)

Drive is great..there is an app to show you all the charging stations around the world and there are surprisingly a lot more chargers than one would think. The supercharger stations charge it full in about 15 minutes. Auto drive (Im not sure if it will be abled in Singapore) is great and two storage boots (front and back) is such a bonus! I think its a great car all in all!

I would take it over a Toyota or Lexus EV but its my personal preference. Im sure all of them are great cars too!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Feb 2021 3:05 pm

If I had a bit more certainty about staying here I would pull the trigger. Also I suspect my wife would hate it (if a car doesn't have a push button radio and a key to turn it on she's not interested).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 24 Feb 2021 10:03 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 24 Feb 2021 3:05 pm
If I had a bit more certainty about staying here I would pull the trigger. Also I suspect my wife would hate it (if a car doesn't have a push button radio and a key to turn it on she's not interested).
If you’re right about your wife’s preferences, then she probably won’t like it very much. Instead of the usual buttons, Teslas have a large tablet like display in the front of the car with all its controls on it. It’s actually quite easy to use, and not as intimidating as you may think. Maybe eventually they’ll have a show room in Singapore where she can have a look for herself.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 25 Feb 2021 6:28 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:23 pm
Myasis Dragon wrote:
the observer wrote:

Just thinking aloud.

You can rave about fantastic customer service but if you have to use it, it means that your car has a problem. Toyota's, across the board, have the best reliability records, and it's because the bean counters haven't captured the company. That's what happened to Nissan and Honda... put in lots of cheaper parts, each by a few dollars, save a few hundred on the cost of production and watch reliability take a nose dive.

I have high expectations that if and when the Toyota EV is on the road, it will be as good as their ICE cars.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:45 am

I agree MD that I would prefer a Toyota or Subaru EV.