Singapore Expats

Anyone else thinking of ordering a Tesla online here? Cheaper than a Camry!

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Anyone else thinking of ordering a Tesla online here? Cheaper than a Camry!

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:04 am

PNGMK , u r too old to be tempted by cars . Tesla is for Midgets. U shd stick to Toyota .

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:53 pm

Hell, even at my age, I'm still tempted by cars. I'd love to have my Mini-Cooper back again. Or my Austin Healey / Triumph / 190 SL. Sadly, here, common sense takes precedence. :(
\
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 6:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:53 pm
Hell, even at my age, I'm still tempted by cars. I'd love to have my Mini-Cooper back again. Or my Austin Healey / Triumph / 190 SL. Sadly, here, common sense takes precedence. :(
\
Exactly. They advertise $112K including ARF but with COE, the cost is closer to $200K, including EV rebates. Pretty ridiculous.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 9:39 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:04 am
PNGMK , u r too old to be tempted by cars . Tesla is for Midgets. U shd stick to Toyota .
Everyone wants my old turbo Subaru Forester. One of the last SG6 bodies in turbo left on the road here. I get people asking regularly if I'm selling it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 01 May 2021 7:45 pm

Oh Subaru looks too big for me. When I was buying I felt I can’t handle big cars. But my fav is Audi . I hope someday I can throw 2-3 hundred without worrying. Their sports models r so expensive tho.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 01 May 2021 8:43 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 01 May 2021 7:45 pm
Oh Subaru looks too big for me. When I was buying I felt I can’t handle big cars. But my fav is Audi . I hope someday I can throw 2-3 hundred without worrying. Their sports models r so expensive tho.
A1 is your size midget.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 01 May 2021 9:33 pm

No A1 is stupid. I like A4/5 and Etron. Also the RS and TT series. I know I can prob but someday but my brain tells me it’s stupid to buy. But I will rent some of these cars on vacation n experience.

I don’t like these entry level models on luxury Brand’s. Much better to get Honda or Toyota.

Ritenow I have a Honda and honestly can’t complain. Makes my life easy.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 01 May 2021 10:59 pm

I’m planning to get an Acura ILX for myself and a Toyota Highlander for the wife when we return to the US while the kids are in college, should be roughly $60k for both.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sun, 02 May 2021 2:07 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 01 May 2021 10:59 pm
I’m planning to get an Acura ILX for myself and a Toyota Highlander for the wife when we return to the US while the kids are in college, should be roughly $60k for both.
Good luck with that. I've got a Highlander and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. For the 2020 model, the base price USD 35,000. That's for the low end "L" model (they are L, LE, XLE, Limited, and Limited Platinum plus optional AWD on the XLE on up). The top of the line Limited Platinum edition sells for about USD 48,000. There's not a lot of discounting because of the demand for the vehicle.

The Acura starts at about USD 26,000 up to about USD 32,000. There is probably more negotiating room with this model.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 02 May 2021 2:00 pm

Yep, I know prices have gone up, we can always look at used vehicles, there is usually no good reason to bear steepest brunt of depreciation.

My brother bought a 5 year old Honda Accord for $9,200 while we were in the US back in June 2019. Great vehicle for the price.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sun, 02 May 2021 9:47 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 2:00 pm
Yep, I know prices have gone up, we can always look at used vehicles, there is usually no good reason to bear steepest brunt of depreciation.

My brother bought a 5 year old Honda Accord for $9,200 while we were in the US back in June 2019. Great vehicle for the price.
We are in agreement there. We bought an absolutely pristine 2015 Highlander Limited Platinum, very low mileage through Toyota's certified used car program. Cost $30K two years ago. Added a $1700, 12 year, 100,000 mile warranty that covers everything, except for glass. With nav units, power everything, and more gizmos and attachments than you can name (the owner manual is 756 pages, the nav/entertainment unit another 300+ pages), one failure will about cover the cost of the warranty.

danielhh

Post by danielhh » Tue, 14 Sep 2021 8:38 pm

personally I am not a fan of tesla. I think the quality is kinda low. If you can afford it then go with the new mercedes EQS. Here is a review https://wegoelectric.net/jay-leno-testi ... -benz-eqs/

In my view its 10x better than any Tesla out there but thats just my opinion

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:16 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 2:07 am
malcontent wrote:
Sat, 01 May 2021 10:59 pm
Good luck with that. I've got a Highlander and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. For the 2020 model, the base price USD 35,000. That's for the low end "L" model (they are L, LE, XLE, Limited, and Limited Platinum plus optional AWD on the XLE on up). The top of the line Limited Platinum edition sells for about USD 48,000. There's not a lot of discounting because of the demand for the vehicle.

The Acura starts at about USD 26,000 up to about USD 32,000. There is probably more negotiating room with this model.
What’s so special about the highlander? I’ve never considered it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:17 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 2:00 pm

Great price. A friend got the Honda HRV a while back, hasn’t stopped raving about it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:18 pm

danielhh wrote:
Tue, 14 Sep 2021 8:38 pm
personally I am not a fan of tesla. I think the quality is kinda low. If you can afford it then go with the new mercedes EQS. Here is a review https://wegoelectric.net/jay-leno-testi ... -benz-eqs/

In my view its 10x better than any Tesla out there but thats just my opinion
Gorgeous car, but its also a lot more expensive than Teslas.