Singapore Expats

How is everyone planning on celebrating Chinese New Year?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

How is everyone planning on celebrating Chinese New Year?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 11 Feb 2021 5:48 pm

With Chinese New Year just around the corner, how is everyone planning on celebrating? Unlike previous years, this year there is the restriction limiting the number of household visitors allowed, in addition to those living in the house. Lucky for me, my family of 3 does not exceed the limit and so we will be able to proceed with our visiting as planned. Regrettably, we will not be able to have large parties like in previous years, but I guess that is a small price to pay to prevent the spread of the virus. How are you celebrating?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: How is everyone planning on celebrating Chinese New Year?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Feb 2021 6:19 pm

Just another two days, nothing more, nothing less.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: How is everyone planning on celebrating Chinese New Year?

Post by malcontent » Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:56 pm

I’m married into a traditional Chinese family so lots of stuff to do with the in-laws. This evening was reunion dinner... highly comparable to my own tradition, Thanksgiving dinner. This time the family wasn’t all together like we normally would be, but we did a zoom meeting across 4 households and watched each other eat.

Thinking back to the time before I was married, Chinese New Year was a peaceful time, when traffic died down and I could enjoy the streets of Singapore without the crowds. Back then it would be dinner for one at Burger King on Orchard Road... at least fast food was open!

Although starkly different times, I can’t say one is better than the other... I enjoy good solitude as much as I enjoy good company.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr