Singapore Expats

Dependent pass or employment pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Sunflower2

Dependent pass or employment pass

Post by Sunflower2 » Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:54 am

My husband got a job offer with an E-pass in NUS from April this year. I want to live together with him and my employer (a Japanese company) agreed to let me work remotely from Singapore. But my company has a subsidiary in Singapore so I may commute to the office there (but my job is dependent from the subsidiary).

So from what I searched, I have 2 options:
-Work in Singapore with an S-Pass (apply under the subsidiary)
-Apply for an dependent visa, then work with a letter of Consent with the help from the subsidiary.

Will working under dependent visa better for me in terms of tax and insurance benefits?

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Re: Dependent pass or employment pass

Post by Wong_Jnr » Tue, 16 Feb 2021 9:46 am

Sunflower2 wrote:
Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:54 am
Will working under dependent visa better for me in terms of tax and insurance benefits?
Only you and you alone know your tax situation so you'll need to make the decision.
You don't even mention which country you're coming from which is a key factor here...

You also have the third option to continue to work remotely on your DP and not get a letter of consent. As long as you don't go into the office or work with Singapore based clients you don't need permission to work. You will however still need to pay tax from where you're getting paid from.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 16 Feb 2021 1:40 pm

Wong_Jnr wrote:
Tue, 16 Feb 2021 9:46 am
You will however still need to pay tax from where you're getting paid from.
This last point is not typically true. With the exception of the US & Eritrea, all countries follow residency based taxation, so if you reside in Singapore you will become a Singapore tax resident and will need to adhere to Singapore tax laws on your worldwide income. Even if you are from the US, there are exclusions based on both physical presence and bona fide residence in a foreign country or countries, regardless of where you are getting paid from.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

whitesneakers

Post by whitesneakers » Wed, 24 Feb 2021 4:15 pm

Sunflower2 wrote:
Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:54 am
My husband got a job offer with an E-pass in NUS from April this year. I want to live together with him and my employer (a Japanese company) agreed to let me work remotely from Singapore. But my company has a subsidiary in Singapore so I may commute to the office there (but my job is dependent from the subsidiary).

So from what I searched, I have 2 options:
-Work in Singapore with an S-Pass (apply under the subsidiary)
-Apply for an dependent visa, then work with a letter of Consent with the help from the subsidiary.

almost the same situation and a bit confused, were you able to get a DP or LOC?
Stay happy, stay positive. Trust in God's timing. :D

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 2:46 pm

Well looks like the LOC avenue is being closed soon so it's work permits only!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... y-14321444