Singapore Expats

Stuck in Singapore, Need a Job - What's the best platform to use to job search?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
designmonkey

Stuck in Singapore, Need a Job - What's the best platform to use to job search?

Post by designmonkey » Sun, 07 Feb 2021 7:19 pm

Stuck here since the COVID fiasco travel bans and been indefinitely staying on short term pass extensions. My resources are drying up and I thought I might as well try to find employment here.

What are the best job platforms for expats to have a chance in hell of acquiring a work permit or EP besides LinkedIn?

Anyone here been in a similar situation and found a way? :o

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Stuck in Singapore, Need a Job - What's the best platform to use to job search?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Feb 2021 8:12 pm

Well, considering you've known about bans and the prognosis for lifting those bans for upwards of 9 months, one would wonder why one waited so long to explore that option. However, having said that, if you have a degree you might stand a chance, albeit small. Otherwise, you may have a problem. Platforms? Other than linked in you are basically on your own. You can look at the Jobs board hosted by the government as all positions that can be opened up to foreigners have to be advertised on that board for 4 weeks or a month before they can 'try' to hire a foreigner. Again, if it's a position that would normally be easily fill by a local you probably still wouldn't stand a chance. Depending on where you are from, maybe check with the relevant nationality clubs line the American Club, Amcham, the British Club, Swiss clubs, etc, etc. But don't hold out too much hope as those with experience here are and have been scouring them for the past 8 or 9 months.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Stuck in Singapore, Need a Job - What's the best platform to use to job search?

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 10:58 am

Definitely agree with sundaymorningstaple here, unless you have a degree and have rich work experience in the relevant field, your chances of employment are slim to none. Expectedly, the job market is in really bad shape, you can try linkedin or reaching out to individual firms.