Singapore Expats

Dulwich College Vs North London Collegiate School

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
kat.l

Dulwich College Vs North London Collegiate School

Post by kat.l » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 6:14 pm

Hi everyone!

We are due to relocate from the UAE to Singapore in August 2021.

We are currently doing our "homework" on which schools to apply to for our children and we are considering Dulwich or NLCS. There doesn't seem to be much online about both schools which im assuming because they are fairly new.

Can anyone share any advice on which would be better or if there are any insights on either school as well as shared experiences?

Much appreciated!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Dulwich College Vs North London Collegiate School

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 8:55 am

Neither. They are both for profit and will suffer from the usual problems of such schools.

I would look for a trust or mission or govt school - Tanglin if you want the UK system.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 10:54 am

Agree with PNGMK. Both of those schools have relatively bad reputations among locals. School culture is toxic, bullying is prevalent, and grades are not fantastic. If its within your budget, I definitely recommend you have a look at Singapore American School.

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 7:52 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

I will take a look at Singapore American School. Do you know if a transition from a British curriculum to an American would be hard in terms of the children adjusting in Senior School?

Thank you once again :)
Last edited by kat.l on Mon, 15 Feb 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 8:16 pm

Nexus and UWC are also charter or trust schools. They may be worth looking at.

OFS, SIS, Chatsworth, Stanford, Australian & Canadian schools are all for profit.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 11 Feb 2021 5:03 pm

kat.l wrote:
Mon, 08 Feb 2021 7:52 pm
Thank you both for your replies.

Tanglin was our first choice but unfortunately there is a long wait list and we don't want to do interim schools in between.

I will take a look at Singapore American School. Do you know if a transition from a British curriculum to an American would be hard in terms of the children adjusting in Senior School?

Thank you once again :)
I doubt it would be too difficult of a transition. The main consideration would be whether you prefer for your child to do the British GSCE A level program, American AP program, or International Baccalaureate program. Each have their own merits, however the IB program is generally considered to be the most rigorous and intensive of the three. If you prefer for your child to do the AP program, SAS would be the best choice.

If your child is making the switch in 9th grade (15 years old), they should be able to adjust to the system in less than a year, and will be able to go through 11th and 12th grade (17 and 18 years old) seamlessly. If your child only has a year or less to go, I suggest you have them stick to the system with which they are familiar to prevent additional stress.

Best of luck!

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Sat, 13 Feb 2021 1:56 pm

Thank you Lisa ! This is really helpful . We will look into SAS too. Their campus looks great too although slightly further then where we would like to live but I think it’s all do-able in the end.

Appreciate your help

Thanks !

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 13 Feb 2021 4:03 pm

kat.l wrote:
Sat, 13 Feb 2021 1:56 pm
Thank you Lisa ! This is really helpful . We will look into SAS too. Their campus looks great too although slightly further then where we would like to live but I think it’s all do-able in the end.

Appreciate your help

Thanks !
Hi Kat, the location should actually be the least of your worries. SAS offers a great school bus service that picks the children up from their houses and drop them off right after school, so you don’t need to worry about living too far away. I live in the Bukit Timah area, which is quite a distance from the SAS campus, and yet every morning I see a big group of maybe 10 or so children getting picked up just from my condo alone.

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Sun, 14 Feb 2021 8:02 pm

kat.l wrote:
Sat, 06 Feb 2021 6:14 pm
Hi everyone!

We are currently doing our "homework" on which schools to apply to for our children and we are considering Dulwich or NLCS. There doesn't seem to be much online about both schools which im assuming because they are fairly new.

Can anyone share any advice on which would be better or if there are any insights on either school as well as shared experiences?

Much appreciated!
Thank you Lisa! We are looking at Bukit Timah too as a potential place to live in too so this is very helpful .

I know this is off topic but do you have any recommendations on where we should live based on this ? Husband will be working in the CBD(near Raffles Place so we want something central.

Thank you once again for your extremely helpful responses!
Last edited by kat.l on Mon, 15 Feb 2021 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:31 pm

You can find cluster homes that are similar here if you have the wherewithal.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 1:54 pm

kat.l wrote:
Sun, 14 Feb 2021 8:02 pm
kat.l wrote:
Sat, 06 Feb 2021 6:14 pm
Hi everyone!

Much appreciated!
Thank you Lisa! We are looking at Bukit Timah too as a potential place to live in too so this is very helpful .

I know this is off topic but do you have any recommendations on where we should live based on this ? Husband will be working in the CBD(near Raffles Place so we want something central.

Thank you once again for your extremely helpful responses!
Hi Kat, sorry for my late reply.

Raffles place is relatively accessible from Bukit Timah if you take the ECP (I’m assuming you drive), it’s roughly a 20 minute journey. Not too long and the environment is really lovely especially if you have younger children- many of the condos here are full of expat children. We chose to live here for precisely that reason, we wanted our daughter to be able to play with other children just like her. Our daughter is now turning 18 and she has kept many of the friends that she grew up playing with in the condo.

Alternatively, you can look into living in the Holland Village area, there are many expat children and it is also relatively central. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

yanina.scavuzzo

Post by yanina.scavuzzo » Fri, 17 Sep 2021 7:31 pm

Hi Kat, hope you're well.

We are relocating from the UK to Singapore towards the end of the year. Can you please let me know what school did you end up going for?

We were hoping for Tanglin but they don't have availability to start in January. At the same time, we don't want our children to change school 6 months after we have settled in. Dulwich, North London College, Nexus and Dover Court can guarantee spots for both our children (7 and 10)

Thanks for sharing all the information you can - it's a very stressful topic for us all at home right now. They currently go to a tiny semi-rural public school in Warwickshire.

Looking forward to hearing back from you

NatalliaTes

Post by NatalliaTes » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 5:16 am

Hi everyone,
My son was in Dullwich C for 2 years before we moved to USA 5 years ago. And my son (and I) loved this school! We are going back to Singapore this summer and I’m going to choose between Dulwich and NLC. I prefer British curriculum.

Regards,
Natallia

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:15 pm

If you loved Dulwich, why are you considering any other school?