Singapore Expats

Using Australian appliances in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Using Australian appliances in Singapore

Post by Splatted » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 12:39 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 19 Feb 2021 12:04 pm
Just be aware that it is a known and documented issue and if you knowingly use such adaptors you may void fire insurance. Use of 2 pin plugs in 3 pin sockets violates the Singapore standards as well. You should rewire to the 3 pin plug.

I mean your apartment could end up looking like my neighbors last week - https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/f ... -bendemeer

(that's my pic - the second one)
You're quoting so called "standards" that the average Singaporean consumer wont know about. Try asking your neighbour if they know this.

Anyway, there are many things you simply can't rewire. My latest phone charger is 2 pin. Historically they have always been 3 pin prior to this. Same with cable modem adaptors, set top box adaptors.

Usage of the type of adaptor I'm suggesting is the safest option as it prevents damage to the pins in the wall socket. Even those plastic inserts that Singaporeans like to use in order to plug in two pin devices eventually bend the pins in the wall socket.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 12:53 pm

Many here don’t even know how to change a light bulb and they have to call someone to their home to do it... it’s pretty astounding. Back when I first arrived here in the 90’s, they didn’t even have any DIY stores in the mainstream shopping malls... so maybe the YouTube generation is getting more handy.

I’ve yet to find a genuinely good electrician here, every home renovation we’ve done, the electrician only succeeded in taking things from bad to worse!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 1:12 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 19 Feb 2021 12:53 pm

I’ve yet to find a genuinely good electrician here, every home renovation we’ve done, the electrician only succeeded in taking things from bad to worse!
OMG, yes, not just electricity but in general... I'm going to digress for a second. Our HDB flat is currently leased to tenants.

The flat next to this flat spent $70k on a renovation a month or so ago.

Come CNY, our tenants decided to spring clean, so they moved the wardrobe to vacuum behind it.

What they found were evenly spaced holes in the wall, where the contractor used a hammer-drill on the other side of the wall to secure something. The holes were about 5-8cm diameter, and you can clearly see a drill hole in the middle. There's about 6 or 7 of them.

We are waiting until after CNY to talk to the neighbour as we didn't want to ruin their CNY celebration.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 2:37 pm

Well that's why I consider it my duty to let folks know that plug adaptors are dangerous for both shock and fire reasons. As for the telcom stuff I agree it's not likely to be an issue and anyways hardwired telephones are rapidly disappearing.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 2:38 pm

IF you really want to get me going let's talk about auto transformers.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:33 pm

I do believe he said that his neighbours spent that much.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 6:59 pm

There is a big difference between doing a major or minor renovation… and then there is the “complete” renovation where the entire place is gutted and all the walls (except the supporting ones) are knocked down. There is also a big difference in the cost materials used and the size of the unit plays a part. Add in the cost of an interior designer and you can easily reach 6 figures.

Renovations here are not cheap because you are usually dealing with masonry, tiles/marble and parquet flooring, granite tops and 100% custom cabinetry. If you are doing a complete renovation, it usually requires electrical and plumbing as well.

If you are doing a built-in TV console here, you really have to get heavily involved in the design. For some reason, nobody seems to understand that wiring access is needed between the TV, the various connected devices and the speakers. Even using a tinted glass cover for the shelf with the devices… both times we renovated, they refused to believe that IR remote can pass through tinted glass! The last one even told me, if it doesn’t work, you are paying to replace the glass ](*,)
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr