Singapore Expats

International Preschool or Local Preschool

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
BuckBruce

International Preschool or Local Preschool

Post by BuckBruce » Thu, 04 Feb 2021 6:50 pm

What's the main difference between these two? Planning for my two kids going to preschool.

jptsr1

Re: International Preschool or Local Preschool

Post by jptsr1 » Fri, 05 Feb 2021 9:11 am

I think you may have a tough time getting an answer to that as it’s a bit general. Lots of differences and lots of similarities. What the “main difference” is I think will vary person to person and school to school. I will say though that some of the International Schools get crapped on in this particular forum as a few active members have had bad experiences. It’s exactly the opposite in other expat groups I’m in. The local schools take a beating and for the same reason. In both cases if you remove the vocal outliers I believe the consensus is you can get a quality experience for your child at either but that it’s hardly automatic.

My kid is at SAIS (middle not preschool) and our experience has been outstanding. The main complaint I’ve heard from other parents (again removing those with issues specific to their situation) is that the school is very expensive and large. For us it’s cheeper than what we paid back in the states and we feel they do a good job compartmentalizing the grades and classes so that the size isn’t overwhelming.

We have two sets of friends, one couple are PR and the other couple one of the parents is a citizen and the other PR. The first couples kid is killing it and they wouldn’t think of moving her to an International School. From what I gather they love the both the quality of the education and the cost savings. The second couple has two kids in the system. One of them is doing ok but the other has experienced significant bullying and what they describe and “teacher bias”

Try and check out some of the school forums (or groups of you can find them). I think you will get a much clearer answer in those. You might find your choice may come down to where you can get you child in. Availability may narrow the choices for you considerably.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 05 Feb 2021 9:27 am

the local pre schools are really for local kids; a lot of indoctrination goes on.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Feb 2021 1:39 pm

His planning is only a spammer's pipedream. In this case a Pakistani spammer straight from a known spamming Pakistan ISP. I've blocked him instead of also deleting the post only because of jptsr1's informative post.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers