Singapore Expats Forum

help me plan..

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

help me plan..

Postby Guest » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 3:43 am

hi, :oops:

i live in the US right now but its getting very boring here and i was thinking about moving to Singapore..however..I need help with some stuff...like

- do I need a citizenship license of some sort or what? does singapore allow dual?

- houses, condo, apt...etc...do they cost as much as here (35,000$ USD and up) etc etc. I'm expecting them to be HIGH due to the population..

- will I need a car? or is public transportation the way to go there (like NYC)

- jobs?

please help me..i would read around this site for a bit, but at the moment i really dont have time too...

Strong Eagle

Re: help me plan..

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 5:15 am

Anonymous wrote:please help me..i would read around this site for a bit, but at the moment i really dont have time too... Thanks :oops:

If you don't have the time:

a) Why should anyone else waste the time trying to educate you when you are too lazy to educate yourself?

b) How will you get around to reading what someone writes, when, after all, it will be the same as the hundreds of posts on the subject(s) that you don't have the time to read.

Stay bored in the US. You won't have the time to do what it takes to get over here.

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 5:33 am

Steady on Strong Eagle. I see what you mean but come on, let's give this person a little bit of help.

Job...........Get one before you come here or you're lost. No jobs for expats hardly.........and believe me you WON'T want to try living on a US expectation of life on the local rates of pay....though God Forbid, most do.....Don't get me wrong, it's fine if you don't mind having a really different lifestyle to US lifestyle....and you may be shocked at what the US or UK or Oz expats get money wise for contracts signed outside of Singapore.

Car....no, don't need one, public transport fabulous....but live near an MRT (tube) station or a bus stop.

FORGET BUYING A condo unless you have at least half a million dollars...Sing...look at the property part of this site. You can rent from about...hmm...1500 a month but most expats usually spend say 3K upwards. Some get this free, and some live in splendour renting at 15 or 20K...A MONTH...it's true...really! Then there's clubs...very expensive....schools, if you have kids....you can say goodbye to about 12,00K a year at least for each kid.

Sing does not allow dual citizenship but you will have to sort out a special sort of work visa before you come....and you won't get one unless you have a job...this is usually sorted by the company you work for BEFORE you come.(Not absolutely sure of this one, help me out regs please.)

It's true to some extent what Strong Eagles says though.........you should do tons of homework before you even THINK of coming.

It's a great place though....but honestly, are you really ready for it, you don't seem that focused?

Singapore_Sling

Postby Singapore_Sling » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:28 pm

Would love to help, but I haven't got the time to.

Strong Eagle is right, why would expect someone else to do your research if you
please help me..i would read around this site for a bit, but at the moment i really dont have time too...

If only you would have left that bit out, more people would be inclined to assist you.

I would not like to imagine what you would be like once you are here - try standing on your own two feet. For a move as serious as the one you are contemplating, you should do your own research and not rely on some anonymous people on a board.

The first thing you should ask yourself - no help here from anyone - is what value you could bring to Singapore; why would you be accepted here; what would make the government give you an employment permit - let alone citizenship . . .

Sheesh! Please do stay in Kansas with an attitude like that

Postby Guest » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 1:34 pm

geeez i was in a hurry when I typed this, relax relax. I really couldn't look around...

Thanks for the help provided so far :) iam at home now so I can look around this site a bit.

Singapore_Sling

Postby Singapore_Sling » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 3:56 pm

I am relaxed, thank you - Singapore os for relaxing, didn't you know?!

try the following links:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA

http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/

Have fun, anbd we'd be delighted to answer slightly more sepcific questions - we expats here can be quite a nice bunch. (Except Strong Eagle, of course :wink: )