Singapore Expats

Sons status in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 8:22 pm

Sons status in Singapore

Post by IanTolond » Thu, 28 Jan 2021 8:26 pm

Hi Forum,
We parents are both singapore PR's however our sons are not (Aust passport born in Malaysia) and do not hold any status in Singapore. We may need to relocate back to singapore due to COVID and work needs.

I know if my sons become PR's they are required to complete NS at some time - What is to situation here - long time visa do they still have to and if not PR's how does that impact junior schools for them in Singapore (e.g International Schools)?

User avatar
Posts: 9089
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Sons status in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 29 Jan 2021 9:15 am

Not sure I understand the order of your q's.

They can obtain student visas up until 21 or so if enrolled in an int'l or local school. Also LTVP is available for dependent children if you have the wherewithal.

As for being PR's it has no effect on their ability to enrol in International Schools - that's an issue for citizens not PR AFAIK (and if it is an issue you can write to MOE for an exemption for your sons to being the FSS as they were not in the MOE school system and it's too late to switch over).

IF your sons remain on a student pass (visa) or LTVP they will not have to do NS. There is some debate around whether they will lose out future opps in Singapore as the son's of PR (who then did not do PR) - I can't answer this without more info.
Last edited by PNGMK on Fri, 29 Jan 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Posts: 630
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Answers: 1
Location: Singapore

Re: Sons status in Singapore

Post by bro75 » Fri, 29 Jan 2021 9:56 am

If your children are not PRs, you can enroll them in any International School with Edutrust certification (most of the big schools have this). The Edutrust certification allows the schools to apply for student passes for your children.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests