Singapore Expats Forum
 

SC Approved

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bmwx1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 4:39 pm

SC Approved

Post by bmwx1 » Sun, 24 Jan 2021 4:45 pm

Dear all,

I just got AIP for my Singapore Citizenship application.

- Mid 40s
- Hong Kong (Chinese)
- Postgrad from top university in Hong Kong
- Both me and wife are locally employed (Bank/Airline)
- Annual household income including bonus: > 300k SGD
- Boy and girl both in local primary school
- Been in Singapore since mid 2015
- Initially started as EP/DP family
- PR since mid 2017
- Applied for SC on late 2019
- AIP received on this month (About 13 months of waiting)

Having been reading this forum since before I came to Singapore, I would like to thank all members for their support. I hope my sharing here will also benefit others in evaluating their own EP/PR/SC journey.

Cheers

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37823
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: SC Approved

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jan 2021 5:14 pm

Congratulations. The waiting timeline under the circumstances reasonably short. I reckon that's a lot of stress off your mind.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: SC Approved

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 8:42 am

Good to see the doors are open for integrated HK Chinese.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

feanor
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:14 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by feanor » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 10:04 am

Just curious, do you still have the SC Journey under the current circumstances?

vig.srinivasan93
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 10:11 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by vig.srinivasan93 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 12:19 pm

Considering his stay is only 2015 onwards only he got PR and then now Citizenship is a Great success for him. This is a rare case. However his segment being a preferred category, his income levels, ... must have been a positive to him. But he has not mentioned about his wife (whether she is SC or.....etc). I feel she may be a SC already .... and if so then his case makes sense and becomes a normal one and not a rare case.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 5:18 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 12:49 pm

vig.srinivasan93 wrote:Considering his stay is only 2015 onwards only he got PR and then now Citizenship is a Great success for him. This is a rare case. However his segment being a preferred category, his income levels, ... must have been a positive to him. But he has not mentioned about his wife (whether she is SC or.....etc). I feel she may be a SC already .... and if so then his case makes sense and becomes a normal one and not a rare case.
I think OP mentioned that he started as EP/DP family... then I assumed his wife is either EP or DP...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37823
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: SC Approved

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 2:22 pm

Good credentials, salary, young children in local schools. Two years on EP to PR. Two years PR to SGC., Ethnically preferred race. Good educations, jobs. I'd say it sounds about right. I would imagine the fact that he is a HK Chinese puts him extremely close to Singaporean Chinese directly behind M'sian Chinese but definitely higher up the ladder than Indo Chinese or Full On PRCs.

It would be good if OP could clarify if the SGC was for the whole family or if the wife is already an SGC.

lot286
Regular
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:56 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by lot286 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 3:28 pm

SMS is correct in his interpretation. If i were to guess, he applied as a family unit (PR & SC).

Also contrary to public opinion (here), i do not think salary counts as much when it comes to these applications.. at least not anymore. They can onboard a billionaire from China/India who owns a company here that pays loads of taxes and which hire lotsa locals - and then look for those who don't make that much but can contribute to society @ the grassroots level. Not sure if anyone sees it from my perspective but my thinking is that Singapore's premium as a 'safe' country commands a lot more premium than say compared to 20 years ago - and will continue to be - which makes it a favorite destination for such billionaires :) :cool:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37823
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: SC Approved

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 4:51 pm

Spot on lot286. It's been my general reading for a very long time. We've seen time & time again, right here on this forum the numbers of high earners who have been rejected for PRs so don't even get a shot at SGC. But when you take all into context like our OP here, the salary means less than the family make-up and ability to assimilate into the greater community and also push up the demographic that has been the worst hit over the past 20 years (albeit, they could lose another 10% and it still wouldn't make any difference in the government). ;-)

bmwx1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 4:39 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by bmwx1 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 7:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 25 Jan 2021 2:22 pm
Good credentials, salary, young children in local schools. Two years on EP to PR. Two years PR to SGC., Ethnically preferred race. Good educations, jobs. I'd say it sounds about right. I would imagine the fact that he is a HK Chinese puts him extremely close to Singaporean Chinese directly behind M'sian Chinese but definitely higher up the ladder than Indo Chinese or Full On PRCs.

It would be good if OP could clarify if the SGC was for the whole family or if the wife is already an SGC.
Hi all

My wife is not SC. She was on DP when she came. After we became PR, she managed to find a full time job. She remains employed since then.

None of us in my immediate and extended family has any tie with anyone in Singapore.

And we applied PR/SC for the whole family together. And in both cases, we get approval in our first attempt.

Cheers

bmwx1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 4:39 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by bmwx1 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 7:16 pm

lot286 wrote:
Mon, 25 Jan 2021 3:28 pm
SMS is correct in his interpretation. If i were to guess, he applied as a family unit (PR & SC).

Also contrary to public opinion (here), i do not think salary counts as much when it comes to these applications.. at least not anymore. They can onboard a billionaire from China/India who owns a company here that pays loads of taxes and which hire lotsa locals - and then look for those who don't make that much but can contribute to society @ the grassroots level. Not sure if anyone sees it from my perspective but my thinking is that Singapore's premium as a 'safe' country commands a lot more premium than say compared to 20 years ago - and will continue to be - which makes it a favorite destination for such billionaires :) :cool:
I think salary still counts, but only up to a certain extent. It is more to evaluate whether you will be able to sustain and grow your family root here in Singapore in the long run. It is not to be considered as "foreign direct investment" or hot money pumped into Singapore's economy.

vig.srinivasan93
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 10:11 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by vig.srinivasan93 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 7:38 pm

In that case your's is lucky even if you consider all the points are fully in favour ( both of your origin, education, salary and the fact you will assimilate in to SG well) still I feel your case is considerably fast. Means ENTRY in to Singapore to Citizen is with in 5 Years+ time is unheard of by me atleast. All Congrats to you and to your family.

bmwx1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 4:39 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by bmwx1 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 7:57 pm

feanor wrote:
Mon, 25 Jan 2021 10:04 am
Just curious, do you still have the SC Journey under the current circumstances?
Yes, there is still SC Journey but it is all done online at the SC Journey portal.

Cheers

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37823
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: SC Approved

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 9:24 pm

vig.srinivasan93, I am curious. How long have you been here? Probably my accumulation of anecdotal data is a bit larger than yours. I've been moderating this board for 16 years and I've been a PR for 26 years and have been resident here for 39 years. Retired 2 years ago this coming March. You are welcome to your 'feelings' but 5 years was a regular occurrence back before the 2011 GE when the initial pogrom against Indian National started making waves in the local community and it came to a head in the 2016 GE resulting in some pretty trying times for Indian Nationals here, especially the few who were honestly NOT trying to game the system.

We have to be honest as the Chinese here are playing with a stacked deck and as 'the observer' so aptly pointed out you have more Indian Nationals, numerically speaking, applying for PR & SGC than any of the other races but have the next to the smallest demographic which translates to huge competition within your own demographic which is knocking out a lot of VERY QUALIFIED people just because the government is afraid to lose any of the major demographic percentage.

You are in Singapore and in order to play on their field, you need to remember it's their ball, their field and their rules. I don't much like it either but what to do? Cannot change my race either and I'm in the 1.5% demographic. :oops!: :shit: :-k

vig.srinivasan93
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 10:11 pm

Re: SC Approved

Post by vig.srinivasan93 » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 10:32 pm

You need not be curious. Yes if you have read all my post you would have known much more about me. YOu are very very senior in this forum which is also acknowledged and accepted by one and all. However this does not mean that others opinion do not matter at all. By your own post you have mentioned things have drastically changed subsequent to 2011. (may be even only for indians also is a possibility). However I have been closing watching this forum very closely and have seen even chinese Malaysians and even of other origins are not getting so fast ( again I am referring to a period from 2016 onwards only when I started viewing this forum). As regards myself - Yes I am anspirant for SC and awaiting the response from ICA and keeping my fingers crossed for the last 15 months. So there is nothing to hide from my side and I always say from what I have seen and so no one need to be curious. I myself have posted in few occasions that SC is total prerogative of a country and it can be visibly partial too and we cannot question it. So I dont need to play around...etc. Since I have seen your postings to be educative and informative, I wish you would have taken my posting also in right spirit.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: singaporeflyer and 11 guests