Singapore Expats

Any foreign food remind you of home?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Any foreign food remind you of home?

Post by malcontent » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 5:32 pm

For me, it’s katsu curry. I grew up in the Midwest US with lots of meat & potatoes... something about katsu curry, it’s kind of like country fried steak topped with beef stew... but better! And, I’m not even a big fan of Japanese food.

I just devoured a set from Tonkichi and... man... oh man was it good! :P =P~ =D>
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Any foreign food remind you of home?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 9:42 pm

Thanksgiving & Christmas when I deepfry turkeys! I've still got a 3rd one in my freezer!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:40 pm

Sounds like you’re ready for Easter!

Once my oldest was about 4 or 5, I taught myself how to make the entire spread for Thanksgiving. The hardest part was pie crusts. Over the years I’ve learned to substitute butter for Crisco, it’s cheaper and better. I use a layer of plastic wrap on the top and bottom to roll out the crust... only way to keep the crust from sticking in this weather, it also makes it easier to flip it into the pan.

The other thing I do around St. Patrick’s Day is make Shamrock shakes. I always buy mint flavoring every trip back to the US, because they only sell peppermint here and that doesn’t work (found out the hard way).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 16 Jan 2021 3:02 pm

for me it’s definitely some good southern barbecue. I grew up in Florida, so some coleslaw, ribs, corn on the cob, and mac & cheese just reminds me of home.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 16 Jan 2021 4:09 pm

Speaking of ribs, it’s too bad Tony Roma’s closed down here, they truly had the best ribs in town back in the 90’s and 00’s... but after that, started going downhill... no surprise that they closed. Sad to see Chili’s leave (for the second time), but Santa Fe Tex Mex has always has better fajitas anyway... I haven’t been to Santa Fe since they moved out of their Mississippi riverboat, need to look them up again.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Jan 2021 5:16 pm

Thumbs up on Tony Roma's. Damn shame they closed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 11:00 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 16 Jan 2021 4:09 pm
Speaking of ribs, it’s too bad Tony Roma’s closed down here, they truly had the best ribs in town back in the 90’s and 00’s... but after that, started going downhill... no surprise that they closed. Sad to see Chili’s leave (for the second time), but Santa Fe Tex Mex has always has better fajitas anyway... I haven’t been to Santa Fe since they moved out of their Mississippi riverboat, need to look them up again.
Towards the end of their time in Singapore, I found that the ribs and most of their other meats declined in quality, maybe that had something to do with the fact that they ended up closing.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 12:41 pm

I agree... such is the fate of many US based franchise restaurants here. Outback Steakhouse and California Pizza Kitchen are two live examples that are in decline as I write this.

I think more restaurants in Singapore need to adopt the “fast casual” concept given the labor shortage. I reckon most people don’t mind bringing their own food to the table and even getting their own cutlery and condiments. If it makes the difference between a good restaurant staying in business (like Chili’s for example), it’d be well worth it!

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 1:03 pm

It’s all pretty basic economics.

1. Competition, there’s way too many restaurants to choose from that caters to American/European taste buds.

2. Majority of these setups love to congregate near and around places with the highest rents in Singapore, and basically lie at the mercy of the land lords.

3. The western expat crowd isn’t growing as much as the East Asian crowd. But the number of western options has mushroomed quite a fair bit.

4. The East Asian blokes used to splurge on celebratory dos at western joints. These days, the hai di laos have nailed a chunk of that pie.

To survive, there has to be a sufficient customer pool.
I don’t think there’s enough, and they probably need to venture further out of central to bring their costs down.
Last edited by the observer on Tue, 02 Mar 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 1:17 pm

For western, I’d say too much quantity of restaurants but not enough quality.

Just look at how Blu Koizina took off, from a small place on Bukit Timah they moved into a larger space in Dempsey and then doubled by taking over the vacant restaurant next door. Why are they wildly successful while others struggle? Simple, they don’t compromise on quality and serve genuinely authentic food.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 08 Mar 2021 10:46 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 02 Mar 2021 12:41 pm
I agree... such is the fate of many US based franchise restaurants here. Outback Steakhouse and California Pizza Kitchen are two live examples that are in decline as I write this.

I think more restaurants in Singapore need to adopt the “fast casual” concept given the labor shortage. I reckon most people don’t mind bringing their own food to the table and even getting their own cutlery and condiments. If it makes the difference between a good restaurant staying in business (like Chili’s for example), it’d be well worth it!
Such a pity. I think it’s a matter of time before they close down. Service is not up to par, prices are comparatively high, and quality of food has declined.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 08 Mar 2021 4:30 pm

I wonder if U.S. Chinese food chain Panda Express will ever attempt opening here, they have expanded considerably in the last year or so, including their first foray into Asia with a few outlets in Manila. They are not too overly Americanized, I would say.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:57 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 08 Mar 2021 4:30 pm
I wonder if U.S. Chinese food chain Panda Express will ever attempt opening here, they have expanded considerably in the last year or so, including their first foray into Asia with a few outlets in Manila. They are not too overly Americanized, I would say.
I doubt it. I just don’t see a market for it in Singapore. Perhaps people would try it once or twice for the novelty, but with so many cheaper and comparatively better hawker options, I can’t see very many people picking panda express.

wendy1999

Post by wendy1999 » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 12:30 pm

if choose one, it had to be "com tam", it is rice with pork, and delicious fish sauce, already hungry by reminding it :(

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 12:48 pm

Is that the one with the amazing pork chop, broken rice topped with an egg and pâté like thing on the side?

Where do you get a good com tam in Singapore?

Long Phung? Little Vietnam?