Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore to work as technician in petrochemical industry realistic?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Che777

Moving to Singapore to work as technician in petrochemical industry realistic?

Post by Che777 » Wed, 13 Jan 2021 4:36 am

Hello,

I keep it as short as possible: I am 28 years old and have been working as a chemical technician in Germany for around 3 years. I have a certification by a german educational institute that I am a certified chemical technician. It is not a university degree. My job here involves supervising chemical manufacturing processes and operate as a technician. It is definitely a blue collar job but anyways also here big companies here (like BASF, Bayer) require a certification/qualification to work in that position.

Do you think I can find a job like that in Singapore?
I have found job advertisements that match me but I’m not sure if an employer would go through that employment Pass to hire me because it is not a ‚high skilled‘ position like manager or banker.

Where should I start? Should I find a recruitment agency or apply directly to a company?
Maybe you have some tips for me.

Is my plan even realistic or are there maybe some problems I don’t know about yet like no demand, only citizens etc.

Thank you in advance

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: Moving to Singapore to work as technician in petrochemical industry realistic?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 14 Jan 2021 7:32 am

No. No chance. This is a field dominated by locals and Malaysians. Even if you found a job the wage would be too low to be liveable or the MOM won't issue a work pass for a foreigner.

There are FIVE local polytechs pumping out technicians every 6 months. There is no lack of qualified techs here for this work.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!