PR Approval Probability 2021

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39766
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Nov 2021 1:16 pm

Correct. In my case my kids are the smallest demographic. Caucasian but their mother is pure Tamil. But their NRICs only list Caucasian.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1107
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by smoulder » Wed, 03 Nov 2021 1:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 03 Nov 2021 1:16 pm
Correct. In my case my kids are the smallest demographic. Caucasian but their mother is pure Tamil. But their NRICs only list Caucasian.
Yes. That's the old system where race would default to the father's race. They now have choices - it is possible to pick the mothers race.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39766
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Nov 2021 1:58 pm

Of course it will. Unless the other spouse is possibly Caucasian. While they might be the lowest common denominator, they might be planned on eventually immigrating to the west where Caucasian wont have quite the negativity as being Chinese is starting to have. Additionally if they try to use both then you have half a person in the stats. Fail.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nanam83
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 10:13 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by nanam83 » Fri, 05 Nov 2021 12:34 pm

I should start by thanking singaporeflyer, sundaymorningstaple and others who've been contributing to this thread. Really helpful and enlightening!

I'm posting to get your advice on 1) which one of us is better suited to be the "main" applicant and 2) rough sense of PR approval probability and any ways to strengthen our profile

- Background: a Korean couple who's been married for 10 years with no kids. Applied for PR in Mar 2020 and received rejection letter in Aug 2020 with a generic rejection message. My "guess" for rejection includes short stay period + Covid pandemic + some large overseas $ transfer which we did in Jun/Jul 2022 as one off (possibly?) + age.
We would like to re-apply in early 2022 (we had salary increase of 20-25% for my husband and 33% for myself vs our first application)

- Husband profile
Age: 42
Stay: ~5 years / has always been on EP
Profession: senior director for investment and strategy at a large tech company (Singapore born company), been there for 4 years, was promoted twice during this time
Academic credential: University in Korea, one of top 5 US MBAs
Annual salary (SGD): base salary 288k, cash bonus ~180k, stock bonus ~600k/yr

- Wife profile (me - was a main applicant for last application in 2020)
Age: 38
Stay: ~5 years / has always been on EP / spent half of MBA time in Singapore
Profession: strategy managerial role at one of MNC tech companies. been there for 4.5 years, was promoted twice during this time
Academic credential: university degree from US Ivy League, top global MBA
Annual salary (SGD): base salary 270k, cash bonus ~67k, stock bonus ~100k/yr
I've been volunteering at local youth mentoring organizations.

We really love Singapore and we'd like to settle. I'm aware our age, no kids and ethnicity aren't exactly most preferred profile but we'd like to find a way to strengthen our change.

Questions:
1) When we reapply in 2022, should my husband be the main applicant this time? Last application with me being a main applicant didn't work out. His professional profile would be better (more senior role, Singapore born tech company, higher wage) but he's also over 40. Any advice would be great.

2) What do you think the odds are? While I know it's a blackbox, I read mixed messages about how helpful other factors are (eg getting a letter from MP, volunteer). What are some potential ways to increase our chance? We may start our own business down the road - that's a possibility.
Or should we be realistic that it would be almost no to impossible to get PR.

Thanks in advance!!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4151
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 1

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 05 Nov 2021 5:19 pm

nanam83 wrote:
Fri, 05 Nov 2021 12:34 pm
I should start by thanking singaporeflyer, sundaymorningstaple and others who've been contributing to this thread. Really helpful and enlightening!

I'm posting to get your advice on 1) which one of us is better suited to be the "main" applicant and 2) rough sense of PR approval probability and any ways to strengthen our profile

- Background: a Korean couple who's been married for 10 years with no kids. Applied for PR in Mar 2020 and received rejection letter in Aug 2020 with a generic rejection message. My "guess" for rejection includes short stay period + Covid pandemic + some large overseas $ transfer which we did in Jun/Jul 2022 as one off (possibly?) + age.
We would like to re-apply in early 2022 (we had salary increase of 20-25% for my husband and 33% for myself vs our first application)

- Husband profile
Age: 42
Stay: ~5 years / has always been on EP
Profession: senior director for investment and strategy at a large tech company (Singapore born company), been there for 4 years, was promoted twice during this time
Academic credential: University in Korea, one of top 5 US MBAs
Annual salary (SGD): base salary 288k, cash bonus ~180k, stock bonus ~600k/yr

- Wife profile (me - was a main applicant for last application in 2020)
Age: 38
Stay: ~5 years / has always been on EP / spent half of MBA time in Singapore
Profession: strategy managerial role at one of MNC tech companies. been there for 4.5 years, was promoted twice during this time
Academic credential: university degree from US Ivy League, top global MBA
Annual salary (SGD): base salary 270k, cash bonus ~67k, stock bonus ~100k/yr
I've been volunteering at local youth mentoring organizations.

We really love Singapore and we'd like to settle. I'm aware our age, no kids and ethnicity aren't exactly most preferred profile but we'd like to find a way to strengthen our change.

Questions:
1) When we reapply in 2022, should my husband be the main applicant this time? Last application with me being a main applicant didn't work out. His professional profile would be better (more senior role, Singapore born tech company, higher wage) but he's also over 40. Any advice would be great.

2) What do you think the odds are? While I know it's a blackbox, I read mixed messages about how helpful other factors are (eg getting a letter from MP, volunteer). What are some potential ways to increase our chance? We may start our own business down the road - that's a possibility.
Or should we be realistic that it would be almost no to impossible to get PR.

Thanks in advance!!
Reasons are:
1. Quota that you both will fit in is less
2. High earning profiles who could easily move out any time

In my view even when your husband becomes the main applicant, it will not make a significant impact to the application.

But please try again and you may get lucky too.

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1107
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by smoulder » Fri, 05 Nov 2021 8:21 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 05 Nov 2021 5:19 pm
nanam83 wrote:
Fri, 05 Nov 2021 12:34 pm
I should start by thanking singaporeflyer, sundaymorningstaple and others who've been contributing to this thread. Really helpful and enlightening!

I'm posting to get your advice on 1) which one of us is better suited to be the "main" applicant and 2) rough sense of PR approval probability and any ways to strengthen our profile

- Background: a Korean couple who's been married for 10 years with no kids. Applied for PR in Mar 2020 and received rejection letter in Aug 2020 with a generic rejection message. My "guess" for rejection includes short stay period + Covid pandemic + some large overseas $ transfer which we did in Jun/Jul 2022 as one off (possibly?) + age.
We would like to re-apply in early 2022 (we had salary increase of 20-25% for my husband and 33% for myself vs our first application)

- Husband profile
Age: 42
Stay: ~5 years / has always been on EP
Profession: senior director for investment and strategy at a large tech company (Singapore born company), been there for 4 years, was promoted twice during this time
Academic credential: University in Korea, one of top 5 US MBAs
Annual salary (SGD): base salary 288k, cash bonus ~180k, stock bonus ~600k/yr

- Wife profile (me - was a main applicant for last application in 2020)
Age: 38
Stay: ~5 years / has always been on EP / spent half of MBA time in Singapore
Profession: strategy managerial role at one of MNC tech companies. been there for 4.5 years, was promoted twice during this time
Academic credential: university degree from US Ivy League, top global MBA
Annual salary (SGD): base salary 270k, cash bonus ~67k, stock bonus ~100k/yr
I've been volunteering at local youth mentoring organizations.

We really love Singapore and we'd like to settle. I'm aware our age, no kids and ethnicity aren't exactly most preferred profile but we'd like to find a way to strengthen our change.

Questions:
1) When we reapply in 2022, should my husband be the main applicant this time? Last application with me being a main applicant didn't work out. His professional profile would be better (more senior role, Singapore born tech company, higher wage) but he's also over 40. Any advice would be great.

2) What do you think the odds are? While I know it's a blackbox, I read mixed messages about how helpful other factors are (eg getting a letter from MP, volunteer). What are some potential ways to increase our chance? We may start our own business down the road - that's a possibility.
Or should we be realistic that it would be almost no to impossible to get PR.

Thanks in advance!!
Reasons are:
1. Quota that you both will fit in is less
2. High earning profiles who could easily move out any time

In my view even when your husband becomes the main applicant, it will not make a significant impact to the application.

But please try again and you may get lucky too.
Better chances if they start a business or would it make no difference?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39766
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Nov 2021 9:44 pm

I concur with SF on this one. Both are what ICA looks at as high potential for follow the $$$ sign. Salaries for both are high enough. Your husband's age is starting to be a factor and at this point in time, a childless couple will only produce income for themselves and income taxes don't really help the government all that much.

So, as smoulder mentions, starting a business is one alternative, but it would take a sizeable investment and the necessity of having a decent sized 'local' staff as that is what they would be looking for. A business generates wealth for the nation in trade or services and employs Singaporeans increasing GDP and reduces unemployment and handouts. That is the investing in the country that they are looking for.

Buying property and such only creates wealth for the buyer, not the government. The stamp duties are there to curb escalating property prices (which if it works causes prices to come down possibly and ultimately be less income for the government).

Doesn't make sense to give PR to middle aged potential flight risks. I hit that in my 40's as well, except I had two young kids and a local wife. But it still took several tries and one unsuccessful appeal (and I was 48 when I finally succeeded I might add) but that is not going to happen today (this was 1995).

I'm inclined to think that your husband should be the main applicant. As the ages of both are on the application, it really makes no sense (in fact, from my own point of view, the ploy is obvious) not to put the strongest financially as the main applicant. I don't know if your childless union is naturally or consciously maintained in that state, but suffice it to say, should you get pregnant, you income will quite possibly stop (maybe not) and ICA will probably look at that as well. And unless you are actively preventing it by choice, it can happen. My wife, and newly wed got pregnant at 37 with our first one and at 42 with the 2nd. And no, neither were planned AT ALL, for similar reasons. Between the 2 of them I now have 3 grandchildren. ;-)

Having said all that, one thing is for certain. You buys your ticket and takes your chances. If you don't buy the ticket, it won't happen, guaranteed. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ShriyaSg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 1:35 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by ShriyaSg » Sat, 06 Nov 2021 1:51 pm

Main applicant profile:
Age :41
No of years in sg: 10years
Salary: 95k/ annum
Profession : software eng IT
Ethnicity : Indian
Children : 2 ( 1 boy and 1 girl)

Wife profile
Age : 36
Salary : 72k annum
Ethnicity : Indian
Profession : software it
Years : 10 years in sg
Good amount in bank and deposit around 450k.
P.r approval probability success range for us if we apply ;

Rejected twice in 2017 and 2018.
Last edited by ShriyaSg on Sun, 07 Nov 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinkyoink
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 2:01 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by pinkyoink » Sat, 06 Nov 2021 2:05 pm

Hi everyone, appreciate your help in this forum. I would like to understand my probability of getting PR:
Age: 25, Female
Ethnicity: Vietnamese
Profession: Consultant
Salary: 95k/annum (EP), only started working for 1.5 years
Years: 10 years in SG
Edu: ACS International (high school) and NUS Business Admins
First time applying for PR.
Not married.

Many thanks!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4151
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 1

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 06 Nov 2021 5:12 pm

ShriyaSg wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 1:51 pm
Main applicant profile:
Age :41
No of years in sg: 10years
Salary: 95k/ annum
Profession : software eng IT
Ethnicity : Indian
Children : 2 ( 1 boy and 1 girl)

Wife profile
Age : 36
Salary : 72k annum
Ethnicity : Indian
Profession : software it
Years : 10 years in sg
Good amount in bank and deposit around 450k.
P.r approval probability success range for us if we apply ;
Going to be tough because of quota, salary slightly on the lower side, age.
Have you applied before? how many times? when last rejection (if any) ?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4151
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 1

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 06 Nov 2021 5:24 pm

pinkyoink wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 2:05 pm
Hi everyone, appreciate your help in this forum. I would like to understand my probability of getting PR:
Age: 25, Female
Ethnicity: Vietnamese
Profession: Consultant
Salary: 95k/annum (EP), only started working for 1.5 years
Years: 10 years in SG
Edu: ACS International (high school) and NUS Business Admins
First time applying for PR.
Not married.

Many thanks!
Chance low

hangmann
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 11:34 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by hangmann » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 12:36 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 5:24 pm
pinkyoink wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 2:05 pm
Hi everyone, appreciate your help in this forum. I would like to understand my probability of getting PR:
Age: 25, Female
Ethnicity: Vietnamese
Profession: Consultant
Salary: 95k/annum (EP), only started working for 1.5 years
Years: 10 years in SG
Edu: ACS International (high school) and NUS Business Admins
First time applying for PR.
Not married.

Many thanks!
Chance low
Is this essentially because Vietnamese are put in the "Other" race category which only comprises a few percent of total quota? Seems wrong that a person who already spent 10 years (their formative teenage years especially) here would get rejected.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39766
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 2:47 am

hangmann wrote:
Sun, 07 Nov 2021 12:36 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 5:24 pm
pinkyoink wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 2:05 pm
Hi everyone, appreciate your help in this forum. I would like to understand my probability of getting PR:
Age: 25, Female
Ethnicity: Vietnamese
Profession: Consultant
Salary: 95k/annum (EP), only started working for 1.5 years
Years: 10 years in SG
Edu: ACS International (high school) and NUS Business Admins
First time applying for PR.
Not married.

Many thanks!
Chance low
Is this essentially because Vietnamese are put in the "Other" race category which only comprises a few percent of total quota? Seems wrong that a person who already spent 10 years (their formative teenage years especially) here would get rejected.
Singapore still harbours a deep mistrust of Communist VN. While they do a good trade with them, and don't mind S pass holders, they have not been easy to get Permanent Residency here. There are some, but most of those where formerly from S.VN and not the North. Or were married with Singaporean men. I personally had a lot of contact with them both during the VN War (AMVET) and from 1988~1991 working under UNHCR resettling VN Boat People (Refugees). I'm well aware of their feeling to the Vietnamese. So there is other factors which you will not find in print with their regard.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hangmann
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 11:34 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by hangmann » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 3:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 07 Nov 2021 2:47 am
hangmann wrote:
Sun, 07 Nov 2021 12:36 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 5:24 pm

Chance low
Is this essentially because Vietnamese are put in the "Other" race category which only comprises a few percent of total quota? Seems wrong that a person who already spent 10 years (their formative teenage years especially) here would get rejected.
Singapore still harbours a deep mistrust of Communist VN. While they do a good trade with them, and don't mind S pass holders, they have not been easy to get Permanent Residency here. There are some, but most of those where formerly from S.VN and not the North. Or were married with Singaporean men. I personally had a lot of contact with them both during the VN War (AMVET) and from 1988~1991 working under UNHCR resettling VN Boat People (Refugees). I'm well aware of their feeling to the Vietnamese. So there is other factors which you will not find in print with their regard.
Perhaps it would be a general mistrust of the Vietnamese? My PR application was denied too but my family is actually from the South of Vietnam, fought alongside the US military against the communist regime, and eventually moved to the US in 1975.

Anyway I applied, and I also know some other Vietnamese Americans who applied within the last year with pretty stellar records (one with 1M+/year income), who got denied this year. It made me just assume that it's all because of the small quota of the "Other" category.

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1107
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by smoulder » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 3:20 pm

Being in the other category is another minus point.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PartyLike-A-Russian and 7 guests