Singapore Expats

Poor english, possible to find job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nguyenhoai121

Poor english, possible to find job?

Post by nguyenhoai121 » Wed, 06 Jan 2021 10:53 am

my english is not good, i am here with my husband...but can i find a job if my spoken english is not very good?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Poor english, possible to find job?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jan 2021 5:07 pm

It will not be easy. Is your husband also VN? Does he speak decent English? Have you enrolled into an English class here? (if you are not working, you can do an intensive course. Can you find a job?

Anecdotal evidence says in better times it's possible but not easy even then. Before I retired I hired a Vietnamese girl who was newly married to a VN man who was a PR here and spoke reasonably good English. Her English was barely manageable but I was used to the accent and broken English due to my background (VN War and UNHCR during the Boat Migration Era during the 80~90's). So, I gave her a chance. She had to speak English in the office (but usually only to me as I was her boss) and it was tough on her. My advice to her and her husband was for him to forego speaking Vietnamese at home and not to answer her without trying to make her learn English from him. I also helped her a lot I suppose but mostly work related English and a lot of patience. She stayed with me for the last 5 years of my employment till I retired. She spoke reasonably decent English by the time I retired.

To be absolutely honest, you need to work on your English (unless you speak fluent Mandarin).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Poor english, possible to find job?

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 12:55 am

Quite honestly I think it’ll be quite difficult to find a job if you do not speak fluent English. Speaking good, conversational English is undeniably one of the most important, basic skills required when seeking employment not just in Singapore but nearly anywhere in the world. Because of this, unless you’re willing to enroll in language classes or do something else to improve your command of English unfortunately I think that you will have a very difficult time finding a job.