Singapore Expats

Pest control - is the tenant completely responsible or does this fall under minor repairs?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Bek

Pest control - is the tenant completely responsible or does this fall under minor repairs?

Post by Bek » Tue, 05 Jan 2021 12:16 am

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. We moved into this 20+ year old condo in July 2020 and signed a 2 year lease. We signed the TA in the depths of circuit breaker so were unable to physically inspect the property until the handover. We had to move as our family was expanding and we were previously living in a one bedder.

When we first moved in, a few things needed to be fixed so the LL's agent organised for a handyman to come to fix them. While finishing the works, the handyman found a cockroach nest in the fuse box of the water heater under the kitchen sink and helped to clean it out.

Since then, there appears to be new cockroach activity on and off (despite our best attempts to keep the kitchen spotless and clean - we wipe down thoroughly after cooking, don't keep any snacks in the cupboards - yes, we now keep our chips, biccies etc in the fridge, organised a cleaner to come weekly to clean the kitchen and every few weeks will clean out all the kitchen cabinets, bought cockroach bait).

Am now thinking of getting pest control but worried that the fumes would be harmful for us and our little one.

On top of this, in one of the bathrooms, there seems to be an infestation of drain flies we cannot get rid of. Likely since the condo is about 20 years old, the drains are filthy inside. We have tried using moth balls (as recommended by many websites) but they still just keep coming back.

So my question is: Is it completely our responsibility to pay to try to eliminate these pest issues etc or is this partly the landlord's responsibility to help keep this place liveable?

We are ok to pay if thats the case but somehow don't think we are the problem since we are now so meticulous about keeping the kitchen clean and after 10 years of renting overseas and 2 previous years in a newer condo in Singapore, we have never had a previous pest problem.

Thanks so much for any inputs!!

Search By

caren22

Re: Pest control - is the tenant completely responsible or does this fall under minor repairs?

Post by caren22 » Tue, 05 Jan 2021 6:29 am

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. We moved into this 20+ year old condo in July 2020 and signed a 2 year lease. We signed the TA in the depths of circuit breaker so were unable to physically inspect the property until the handover. We had to move as our family was expanding and we were previously living in a one bedder.

When we first moved in, a few things needed to be fixed so the LL's agent organised for a handyman to come to fix them. While finishing the works, the handyman found a cockroach nest in the fuse box of the water heater under the kitchen sink and helped to clean it out.

Since then, there appears to be new cockroach activity on and off (despite our best attempts to keep the kitchen spotless and clean - we wipe down thoroughly after cooking, don't keep any snacks in the cupboards - yes, we now keep our chips, biccies etc in the fridge, organised a cleaner to come weekly to clean the kitchen and every few weeks will clean out all the kitchen cabinets, bought cockroach bait).

Am now thinking of getting pest control but worried that the fumes would be harmful for us and our little one.

On top of this, in one of the bathrooms, there seems to be an infestation of drain flies we cannot get rid of. Likely since the condo is about 20 years old, the drains are filthy inside. We have tried using moth balls (as recommended by many websites) but they still just keep coming back.

So my question is: Is it completely our responsibility to pay to try to eliminate these pest issues etc or is this partly the landlord's responsibility to help keep this place liveable?

We are ok to pay if thats the case but somehow don't think we are the problem since we are now so meticulous about keeping the kitchen clean and after 10 years of renting overseas and 2 previous years in a newer condo in Singapore, we have never had a previous pest problem.

Thanks so much for any inputs!!
as far as I know this is the landlord problem so feel free to contact him/her
I had the similar case of cockroaches infestation and they managed to find that they were coming through the small hole near vent shaft in kitchen and their main nest was couple of floors below
The https://justdomyhomework.com/ is one of the best writing services out there

Bek

Re: Pest control - is the tenant completely responsible or does this fall under minor repairs?

Post by Bek » Tue, 05 Jan 2021 11:27 am

Hi @cacacaren, Thanks for the reply! Can I ask, did your landlord cover the entire cost?

jnjde

Post by jnjde » Tue, 16 Feb 2021 12:16 am

There should be a "warranty" period. Agents like to call this a warranty period whereby you get to stay in the house and inform them of any problems that are not identified during the handover. For example air conditioning and in your case, the pest problem. During this handover, the landlord is liable. Quite a common practise irregardless of the circuit breaker situation. Speak to your agent about it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:35 pm

No harm in checking with your landlord. More often than not, they will be willing to cover the cost of extermination.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Feb 2021 4:01 pm

Lisa, wanna bet? I was the HR & Finance Mgr for the 3rd largest Pest Control company for 14 years till I retired almost 2 years ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 1:44 pm

Yes, tenant is to be responsible for the pest control if needed. In the tenancy agreement, there would be a clause on tenant to upkeep the place in tenantable condition. Can you imagine the landlord getting a call every week about the ants and cockroaches..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)