Singapore Expats Forum
 

Jack ma missing?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
User avatar
abbby
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:00 am
Answers: 1
Location: Tiny Island

Jack ma missing?

Post by abbby » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 10:00 pm

There has been some speculations of his disappearance for 2 months...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7698
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 10:13 pm

Being re-educated.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7698
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 11:31 pm

I made a bit of money shorting BABA on that news
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
abbby
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:00 am
Answers: 1
Location: Tiny Island

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by abbby » Tue, 05 Jan 2021 9:07 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 04 Jan 2021 11:31 pm
I made a bit of money shorting BABA on that news
Congrats! Its shares dropped ... good catch! :D
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by malcontent » Tue, 05 Jan 2021 10:27 pm

I stopped my daughter twice over the last several months from buying BABA. She is certainly happy that I did. The wife wasn’t so lucky, she doesn’t go through me to trade.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7698
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 05 Jan 2021 11:00 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 05 Jan 2021 10:27 pm
I stopped my daughter twice over the last several months from buying BABA. She is certainly happy that I did. The wife wasn’t so lucky, she doesn’t go through me to trade.
David Faber on Squawk seemed to have some inside info tonight and said Ma is laying low and trying not to antagonize the CCP. It was a weird thing - Faber was being extremely cautious in what he said (trying not to get his friend into further trouble I assume). From an investment POV Jack doesn't run BABA anymore anyways.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 06 Jan 2021 6:39 pm

PNGMK wrote:I made a bit of money shorting BABA on that news
That's very brave of you. Congrats :)

Sent from my Redmi 10X using Tapatalk


User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7698
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Jan 2021 6:57 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Wed, 06 Jan 2021 6:39 pm
PNGMK wrote:I made a bit of money shorting BABA on that news
That's very brave of you. Congrats :)

Sent from my Redmi 10X using Tapatalk
Enough for two good meals.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 3:51 pm

Markets are going berserk expecting huge stimulus from Biden, how are you guys positioning?

Sent from my Redmi 10X using Tapatalk


User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7698
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 3:58 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Fri, 08 Jan 2021 3:51 pm
Markets are going berserk expecting huge stimulus from Biden, how are you guys positioning?

Sent from my Redmi 10X using Tapatalk
up SGD28,000 since Jan 1. I actually have most of my portfolio in a few funds now (saxo select) and some DBS/SGX but don't actively trade. On average I've made $20,000 per year on about $200,000 for the last 5 years (trading weekly or more) so this is a real change for me (I've moved away from actively trading to a buy / hold and cost average investment into funds).

My SRS is doing really well also - I have it in some Great East funds and they are back up nicely.

You HAVE to be in the market as the inflation is going to be nuts soon and the rates are effectively negative already. I've split my funds into three - 1/3 in Sing stocks, 1/3 in a moderate ETF style fund and 1/3 in a MOAT fund. MOAT is doing best but the moderate ETF fund is the more stable one.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by malcontent » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 8:10 pm

VanEck Vectors Morningstar Wide Moat ETF?

That’s an interesting one. Looks like a safer holding... hence the name. Looks like it dropped less than the market during March last year, but hasn’t risen as much as the market from then to now. The dividend yield is similar or a bit less than the market overall.

I need to look at something safer like that as I get closer to retirement, was thinking maybe a high dividend yield fund.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7698
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 09 Jan 2021 11:16 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 08 Jan 2021 8:10 pm
VanEck Vectors Morningstar Wide Moat ETF?

That’s an interesting one. Looks like a safer holding... hence the name. Looks like it dropped less than the market during March last year, but hasn’t risen as much as the market from then to now. The dividend yield is similar or a bit less than the market overall.

I need to look at something safer like that as I get closer to retirement, was thinking maybe a high dividend yield fund.
Yes that's it. I've been looking as well for a more actively traded tech oriented fund as well - anything you like out there?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 10 Jan 2021 11:41 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 08 Jan 2021 3:58 pm
Wd40 wrote:
Fri, 08 Jan 2021 3:51 pm
Markets are going berserk expecting huge stimulus from Biden, how are you guys positioning?

Sent from my Redmi 10X using Tapatalk
up SGD28,000 since Jan 1. I actually have most of my portfolio in a few funds now (saxo select) and some DBS/SGX but don't actively trade. On average I've made $20,000 per year on about $200,000 for the last 5 years (trading weekly or more) so this is a real change for me (I've moved away from actively trading to a buy / hold and cost average investment into funds).

My SRS is doing really well also - I have it in some Great East funds and they are back up nicely.

You HAVE to be in the market as the inflation is going to be nuts soon and the rates are effectively negative already. I've split my funds into three - 1/3 in Sing stocks, 1/3 in a moderate ETF style fund and 1/3 in a MOAT fund. MOAT is doing best but the moderate ETF fund is the more stable one.
Nice! Thanks for sharing your strategy. I have been a bit all over the place. I went overweight into STI etf in 2020 beginning, thinking it was cheap and US overvalued. But STI tanked hard and is only recovering now. I had 200k in STI ETF and I sold 100k last week. I will sell the remaining 100k if STI goes to 3200 and then look at investing it in more global broad balanced manner.

I think markets are getting ahead of themselves. Everybody is expecting the $2000 stimulus checks to hit Robinhood accounts.

If you look at Singapore, even by the end of this year, I dont see aviation, tourism etc getting back. We may get back to 2019 GDP levels by 2022 middle.

The virus is still ravaging across US and Europe and the vaccine rollout will take time, maybe this whole year. The US jobs report on Friday was worse than expected, yet markets went up, because bad news is good news.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by malcontent » Sun, 10 Jan 2021 12:33 pm

I’m approaching age 50 and have a 70/30 split between equities and bonds+cash. Within equities I target an 80/20 split between US/EM, with US tilted slightly to small cap and EM tilted completely to East Asia. My equities consist entirely of low cost index ETFs. My eventual retirement destination is likely the US or Singapore.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Jack ma missing?

Post by malcontent » Sun, 10 Jan 2021 12:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 09 Jan 2021 11:16 am
Yes that's it. I've been looking as well for a more actively traded tech oriented fund as well - anything you like out there?
My largest holding by far is VTI - the total US market index. About 25% of the index is tech, so that is how I get my tech exposure.

I noticed there is a new Lion-OCBC Hang Seng Tech ETF that was launched on SGX that is supposed to become SRS eligible this year, you might want to check into that one (I can’t touch that one as a US person, as it would be considered a PFIC).

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests