Singapore Expats

Buying from Taobao

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Buying from Taobao

Post by abbby » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 1:42 pm

What is your experience buying from Taobao? My friends say there are sometimes missing items ie: chairs with no legs, cabinets with no doors.. :( ANd there's typically no refund policy, I find it hard to get by buying with the all wordings in only Chinese.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

therat
Editor
Editor

Re: Buying from Taobao

Post by therat » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 1:51 pm

you can try the english version - Aliexpress

My Taobao experience, I didn't purchase furniture before. Purchase phone casing, clothes, shoes.
So far the experience - send wrong colour, send the same side of shoes, order 1 - send 2 but I only pay price of 1.
Normally I only use Taobao when I'm going to China for business trip. I will ask them to ship to my hotel. Taobao within China, most seller provide free shipment.

My Aliexpress experience, send wrong colour of phone casing - I feedback to Aliexpress. They 100% refund me, I dont need to send back the item.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 2:12 pm

I only have experience with Taobao via Lazada and only back few years ago - the most unreliable bunch of sellers with the orders often cancelled long time after purchasing.
Aliexepress on the other hand, mostly positive experience with reasonable dispute handling and shipment/delivery often quicker than for overseas Lazada sellers.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 10:15 pm

Therat: the things taobao send wrong is just so hilarious.

x9200: aliexpress is quite good I've received refunds before for non delivery and unsatisfactory quality. But generally their product selection is rather good. I just avoid buying clothes as differ from pictures and sizes are usually ill fitting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 12:59 am

From personal experience buying from Taobao has its pros and cons. One good thing is that you’re find the prices to be incredibly low, almost too low to be true. The quality is relatively inconsistent- I’ve received some items exactly how I expected in perfect condition, while others have arrived very cheap looking and made of terrible quality. One important thing to note is that in order to shop on Taobao you will need to search for your items in Chinese, which can be difficult because it’s hard to translate the name of the item from English to Chinese even if you do know Chinese. That being said I definitely prefer to shop on western e-commerce sites such as Amazon for their better user experience and better quality control.

siongboon

Post by siongboon » Sun, 10 Jul 2022 12:31 am

Products from Taobao are relatively quite affordable and good quality.
You just have to read the reviews to assess of the product/services is rated good by customers who did the purchase.

Also through Taobao group shipping community initial by individual, the shipping fee is also very very cheap. We are having one in Serangoon.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 10 Jul 2022 8:48 am

My experience with Taobao is quite positive..I find their items rather unusual and many are not found on other sites like Aliexpress, lazada and Shopee. Shipping is faster than Aliexpress if there's no lockdown in China.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Sun, 10 Jul 2022 8:50 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 10 Jul 2022 8:48 am
My experience with Taobao is quite positive..I find their items rather unusual and many are not found on other sites like Aliexpress, lazada and Shopee. Shipping is faster than Aliexpress if there's no lockdown in China.
it’s pretty easy to shop on taobao these days, especially with the web version using google chrome, because you can translate. To note: always check the caninao consolidated shipping rates, and make a mental guess on how much it’ll cost. And gst is charged, if it’s via sea freight. But the trade off is, sea freight rates are cheaper than air.