Singapore Expats

Intermittent fasting

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
x9200

Re: Intermittent fasting

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 Sep 2022 8:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 1:48 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 2:58 am
Sat, 24 Sep 2022 2:22 pm
I get a full blood workup every 6 months without fail. (At 75 it is a good habit to keep) Cholesterol has been great all those years since 2008. For me, while I occasionally, as noted, east some starchy foods, its not the norm for me. I don't miss it, and by not going back to it, my health is good and I reckon if it works for me, and I don't have to 'watch' it, it is basically just easier. Fortunately I'm not a "foodie" as it were so almost never go to restaurants or order food, but just cooks at home. At 75 I'm not trying to impress any strumpets so no need to eat the foods bad for me just to look good and make the strumpet have to use her phone for photo of food. LOL
Good, if you’re getting the all clear at your physicals, do whatever works. One thing you should take special note of as you get older is prostate cancer. A close friend of mine got diagnosed about a week ago, a perfectly healthy guy (62 y/o), and completely asymptomatic (as prostate cancer usually is). He would’ve never known, if not for his check ups.
You are right. It's been on my to do list for a year or two, but thanks to covid I stayed as far away from hospitals as I could. I had a full lower abdominal MRI & examination done about 10 years ago at 65 and all was clear (but I'd had a bout of uric acid kidney stones which I ultimately passed (ouch) but was the reason for the MRI to check out everything.
You may consider to add to your standard screening tests the respective cancer markers (PSA in this case). It costs ca SGD30.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:51 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 2:54 am
Sat, 24 Sep 2022 1:31 pm
Lisa, that sounds interesting. Might have to try that but first I need to buy a steamer,, I reckon. It's one of the few things I don't have here, the other being the notorious counter top electric deep fryer which I got rid of many years ago. My cooking skills are slim but farmhouse basic. My wife has been suffering from dementia and is steadily worsening the past 2 years so she doesn't cook any more and my helper is from Myanmar so her cooking is okay/edible. She does decent Chinese though but I don't eat but very little Asian food due to the prevalence of rice/noodles/soy products, etc., etc.
I remember the old deep fryer, before air fryers became a thing. Honestly, though, you can make this in the microwave. Just cover the top with saran wrap and poke a few holes with a fork, then microwave for a minute at a time to make sure it doesn’t overcook. Should be done in three minutes tops.

I’m sorry to hear about your wife, my late grandmother had dementia, and it was really heartbreaking when she couldn’t even remember things like her own name, whether she had eaten, or even her children. I hope your good memories of old times take away any pain of the present.
This is the third non-stop overlapping dementia patient I've tended at home over the last 23 years. First was her father with Alzheimer's which was joined by mother before he passed away 14 years ago via stroke. She lasted until Sept 2 years ago but for the previous four years was bedridden/wheelchair bound and the last two years didn't speak a word. Doc visited her for a physical and told us she would probably not last the week but I figured 3 days at the outside. She was 96 and he say she had nothing actually wrong with her (other than the dementia) and her internal organs were just shutting down due to old age. She died the following day. He advised us to let her continue, if we could handle it, to let her expire at home where at least she was in familiar surroundings. My wife's dementia started showing itself pretty obviously to those closest to her about two years before her mother passed away. I pretty much knew 10 to 15 years ago what was coming, it was just a matter of when. Went thought the whole thing till expiration 2x in this flat already. Now waiting on the 3rd and hardest one for me. Before it was a human being, but it's different when it's your spouse of 39 years (this past Saturday).

So, as an apology to anybody who happens to read this, if I come across as pretty raw at times, you will know that I'm having really bad caregiver burnout now and then. Some days/weeks are much worse than others. I have to take it as they come. Apologies in advance, but I just hope nobody would ever have to walk the journey I've been on for past 2+ decades. It's not easy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 1:43 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 24 Sep 2022 2:22 pm
I get a full blood workup every 6 months without fail. (At 75 it is a good habit to keep) Cholesterol has been great all those years since 2008. For me, while I occasionally, as noted, east some starchy foods, its not the norm for me. I don't miss it, and by not going back to it, my health is good and I reckon if it works for me, and I don't have to 'watch' it, it is basically just easier. Fortunately I'm not a "foodie" as it were so almost never go to restaurants or order food, but just cooks at home. At 75 I'm not trying to impress any strumpets so no need to eat the foods bad for me just to look good and make the strumpet have to use her phone for photo of food. LOL
Good, if you’re getting the all clear at your physicals, do whatever works. One thing you should take special note of as you get older is prostate cancer. A close friend of mine got diagnosed about a week ago, a perfectly healthy guy (62 y/o), and completely asymptomatic (as prostate cancer usually is). He would’ve never known, if not for his check ups.
You are right. It's been on my to do list for a year or two, but thanks to covid I stayed as far away from hospitals as I could. I had a full lower abdominal MRI & examination done about 10 years ago at 65 and all was clear (but I'd had a bout of uric acid kidney stones which I ultimately passed (ouch) but was the reason for the MRI to check out everything.
A lot can change in 10 years, if you can you should definitely consider going in for a full physical. The friend in question just went in for an MRI today to assess the spread of the cancer, will get results in about a week. He mentioned that the hospitals are a little less crowded now, so you may have less to worry about.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 1:57 am

x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 2:55 am
x9200 wrote:
Sat, 24 Sep 2022 1:49 pm
I think I found the way to make the konjac noodles (I think I mentioned them number of times) taste acceptable. They work nicely with local food if they are marinated first with vinegar and soy sauce. Just wash the noodles with excess of water, strain it, sprinkle some vinegar an soy sauce over them, mix by hand to have all the noodles coated and leave it for an hour or so.

I just had laksa with such noodles where I also replaced fishballs (lots of carbs) with crabsticks (little carbs). It tasted pretty good and was hard to say there were konjac noodles inside.
Also tried the same approach for classic stir-fried noodles with veggies and chicken and that also tasted pretty good.
It should also work without soy sauce.

PS. Sorry to hear about your wife SMS.
So you just soak the noodles, not cook them?
I cook them, but marinate them first. This helps to remove/suppress this rather distinctive seaweed like taste.
Interesting. I’ve only had konjac noodles once (that I remember), as part of a healthy instant meal (brand was xndo). Had a great bite to it, and seemed to soak up the sauce pretty well, so I didn’t notice any seaweed taste.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 1:58 am

x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
You may consider to add to your standard screening tests the respective cancer markers (PSA in this case). It costs ca SGD30.
Just $30? I’ve been pushing my dad to go in for a full physical but from what he’s told me it’ll cost mid 4 figures.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 2:00 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Lisa, that sounds interesting. Might have to try that but first I need to buy a steamer,, I reckon. It's one of the few things I don't have here, the other being the notorious counter top electric deep fryer which I got rid of many years ago. My cooking skills are slim but farmhouse basic. My wife has been suffering from dementia and is steadily worsening the past 2 years so she doesn't cook any more and my helper is from Myanmar so her cooking is okay/edible. She does decent Chinese though but I don't eat but very little Asian food due to the prevalence of rice/noodles/soy products, etc., etc.
I remember the old deep fryer, before air fryers became a thing. Honestly, though, you can make this in the microwave. Just cover the top with saran wrap and poke a few holes with a fork, then microwave for a minute at a time to make sure it doesn’t overcook. Should be done in three minutes tops.

I’m sorry to hear about your wife, my late grandmother had dementia, and it was really heartbreaking when she couldn’t even remember things like her own name, whether she had eaten, or even her children. I hope your good memories of old times take away any pain of the present.
This is the third non-stop overlapping dementia patient I've tended at home over the last 23 years. First was her father with Alzheimer's which was joined by mother before he passed away 14 years ago via stroke. She lasted until Sept 2 years ago but for the previous four years was bedridden/wheelchair bound and the last two years didn't speak a word. Doc visited her for a physical and told us she would probably not last the week but I figured 3 days at the outside. She was 96 and he say she had nothing actually wrong with her (other than the dementia) and her internal organs were just shutting down due to old age. She died the following day. He advised us to let her continue, if we could handle it, to let her expire at home where at least she was in familiar surroundings. My wife's dementia started showing itself pretty obviously to those closest to her about two years before her mother passed away. I pretty much knew 10 to 15 years ago what was coming, it was just a matter of when. Went thought the whole thing till expiration 2x in this flat already. Now waiting on the 3rd and hardest one for me. Before it was a human being, but it's different when it's your spouse of 39 years (this past Saturday).

So, as an apology to anybody who happens to read this, if I come across as pretty raw at times, you will know that I'm having really bad caregiver burnout now and then. Some days/weeks are much worse than others. I have to take it as they come. Apologies in advance, but I just hope nobody would ever have to walk the journey I've been on for past 2+ decades. It's not easy.
This was absolutely devastating to read. It sounds like it definitely runs in the family for her, which is tough as there’s little that can be done to avoid it.

You’re very strong for having done this for over 2 decades, the things we’ll do for the ones we love am I right?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 3:53 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 27 Sep 2022 1:58 am
x9200 wrote:

Just $30? I’ve been pushing my dad to go in for a full physical but from what he’s told me it’ll cost mid 4 figures.
https://hop.sg/home-based-health-screening/
I am not affiliated with them anyway, but I used them before. The difference between 5 Series and 7 Series is in 3 extra cancer markers, but they also offered options to add separate markers for $30 each to any of such plans.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 4:09 am

Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:51 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

My cousin had both her parents bedridden with some dementia for over 10 years living with them alone. She was completely exhausted and she was like 10y younger than you at that time. Her mother died at 98 a few years after her father. Take care of yourself SMS.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 8:56 pm

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:51 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

My cousin had both her parents bedridden with some dementia for over 10 years living with them alone. She was completely exhausted and she was like 10y younger than you at that time. Her mother died at 98 a few years after her father. Take care of yourself SMS.
Funnily enough it seems that being the caregiver for someone with neural degeneration is tougher than physical. Both are incredibly taxing but having those you love lose their light right before your eyes is so painful.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 8:57 pm

x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 27 Sep 2022 1:58 am
x9200 wrote: You may consider to add to your standard screening tests the respective cancer markers (PSA in this case). It costs ca SGD30.
https://hop.sg/home-based-health-screening/
I am not affiliated with them anyway, but I used them before. The difference between 5 Series and 7 Series is in 3 extra cancer markers, but they also offered options to add separate markers for $30 each to any of such plans.
Got it. I’ll forward this to my dad, which reminds me I need to remind my mom to get screened for cervical cancer… never ends LOL

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 11:47 pm

x9200 I also bookmarked that link as well. I don't like using government facilities. Not that they are not good....they are. But as a PR I may as well go to a private hospital/clinic cost wise. That looks reasonable and might be worth doing both of us. full whack is still less than a grand for 2. Bloody MRI as a PR is Still 900 out of pocket. (300 if citizen).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:25 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:x9200 I also bookmarked that link as well. I don't like using government facilities. Not that they are not good....they are. But as a PR I may as well go to a private hospital/clinic cost wise. That looks reasonable and might be worth doing both of us. full whack is still less than a grand for 2. Bloody MRI as a PR is Still 900 out of pocket. (300 if citizen).
My dad is a PR, but the prices he’s quoted me are a little over 4 grand. Is this normal? He gets most of his physicals/procedures done at Mount E Novena.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 4:57 pm

Mt E is a private hospital. No subsidies there at all for anybody, locals included. Of the private hospitals here I believe Mt. E & Gleneagles are the most expensive. Gleneagles primarily cater for Local Expats (Western). Mt. E I've been told, is the favorite for non-resident medical for Middle-Eastern Oil Sheiks & African Leaders like Mugabe (those with very deep pockets).

There is a father & son team of cardiologists practicing at Mt. E., Dr's VP & Dinish Nair. Two of the highest rated cardios in Sg. The reason I bring this up is Dr. Dinish Nair is my wife's cardiologist who tended to her when she had her heart attack about 12 years ago and again when she had a stent put in several years later. But this was done at SGH. All the top doctors in Singapore working in Private hospitals are required to do 1 day a week/month (I'm not sure on the quantum number of days other than they have to attend to patients in other hospitals) So we were lucky in as much as a relative had used them at one point in time and they were able to get her lined up with him. His prices are astronomical and there is no way I could even think about that. But working under SGH we only paid subsidized rates. So with a little research, you can get the best private docs on subsidized rates, in Government facilities.

Little anecdote to go with it, When we went to the Eagles Concert here in 2011. We found our seats and as strange as it may sound, Dr. Dinish Nair (her doc, the son) also had tickets to the concert (unknown to us) and was late getting to the concert as he had just landed at Changi and took a taxi straight to the venue and it just so happened his seats were the two empty ones beside ours. Yeah, we all enjoyed the concert immensely and he was happy to see my wife up and around and doing well. Tis a small world here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Sep 2022 12:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Mt E is a private hospital. No subsidies there at all for anybody, locals included. Of the private hospitals here I believe Mt. E & Gleneagles are the most expensive. Gleneagles primarily cater for Local Expats (Western). Mt. E I've been told, is the favorite for non-resident medical for Middle-Eastern Oil Sheiks & African Leaders like Mugabe (those with very deep pockets).

There is a father & son team of cardiologists practicing at Mt. E., Dr's VP & Dinish Nair. Two of the highest rated cardios in Sg. The reason I bring this up is Dr. Dinish Nair is my wife's cardiologist who tended to her when she had her heart attack about 12 years ago and again when she had a stent put in several years later. But this was done at SGH. All the top doctors in Singapore working in Private hospitals are required to do 1 day a week/month (I'm not sure on the quantum number of days other than they have to attend to patients in other hospitals) So we were lucky in as much as a relative had used them at one point in time and they were able to get her lined up with him. His prices are astronomical and there is no way I could even think about that. But working under SGH we only paid subsidized rates. So with a little research, you can get the best private docs on subsidized rates, in Government facilities.

Little anecdote to go with it, When we went to the Eagles Concert here in 2011. We found our seats and as strange as it may sound, Dr. Dinish Nair (her doc, the son) also had tickets to the concert (unknown to us) and was late getting to the concert as he had just landed at Changi and took a taxi straight to the venue and it just so happened his seats were the two empty ones beside ours. Yeah, we all enjoyed the concert immensely and he was happy to see my wife up and around and doing well. Tis a small world here.
That’s so interesting, I have no idea they require top doctors to work at other facilities as well. Is the schedule public by any chance? Or do you just have to count on luck.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 29 Sep 2022 7:43 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:25 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:x9200 I also bookmarked that link as well. I don't like using government facilities. Not that they are not good....they are. But as a PR I may as well go to a private hospital/clinic cost wise. That looks reasonable and might be worth doing both of us. full whack is still less than a grand for 2. Bloody MRI as a PR is Still 900 out of pocket. (300 if citizen).
My dad is a PR, but the prices he’s quoted me are a little over 4 grand. Is this normal? He gets most of his physicals/procedures done at Mount E Novena.
Based on my experience ME is generally 1.5x-3 more expensive in anything comparing to the government facilities. This not guaranties unfortunately the quality (again, my experience) but pretty much guaranties more reasonable timing and availability of the appointments/treatment.

But 4k, I think it has to be some more than the markers. At least some procedures (colonoscopy etc) or some high-tech scans (MRI).

Return to “Beauty, Health & Fitness”