Singapore Expats

Intermittent fasting

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Intermittent fasting

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 May 2021 10:27 pm

You sure didn't read too much of the forum if that's all you got out of it. Read my posts and x9200's posts. Both of us have 'actually' lost LARGE amounts of weight in relatively short periods of times and maintained or, as in my case, bettered my overall health as well (eliminating HBP, Gout, & High Cholesterol).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hakanx

Post by Hakanx » Tue, 13 Sep 2022 9:19 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 03 Jan 2021 8:08 pm
Can it be intermittent fasting for 10 hours (and fast after the 10th hr till the next day)? Intermittent fasting with carbs, does that slow down the weight loss progress?
Hello. Can I drink zero coke on intermittent fasting? I'm addicted to coke. I want to follow this diet program but coke is a problem for me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Sep 2022 11:44 am

14 years ago, I lost 26 kg in 22.5 weeks. The program I was on was a low/no carb diet but not a high fat one. It was balanced and while I was not allowed to drink any soft drinks I was allowed to drink up to 1 ltr of Coke Zero/day. If you do a search on this forum around 2008/09 you might fine the thread. To this day, I still do not use sugar or salt in the preparation or seasoning of my food although what's eaten outside of the home (very little) I cannot control. I don't miss either and I no longer drink Coke Zero as I never cared for Coke but I do drink Pepsi Black (probably 2 cans a day in the evening, drinking Teh-O most of the day. Never went back to drinking sugar-laden soft drinks, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 15 Sep 2022 11:47 pm

Impressive sms, it takes a lot of motivation to lose 26 kg! Especially on the food part, regulating what you eat sometimes is very difficult as I do have different cravings everyday and now with Grab delivery, it's just so difficult. I do agree soft drinks and bubble teas (sugar) is one of the biggest culprit of weight gain.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:14 am

abbby wrote:
Thu, 15 Sep 2022 11:47 pm
Impressive sms, it takes a lot of motivation to lose 26 kg! Especially on the food part, regulating what you eat sometimes is very difficult as I do have different cravings everyday and now with Grab delivery, it's just so difficult. I do agree soft drinks and bubble teas (sugar) is one of the biggest culprit of weight gain.
Grab is a silent killer! Both financially and in terms of health. I’ve become so reliant on Grab as I’ve been really busy these last few weeks (getting work in order as I’ll be out of town on vacation this week), I order practically every day! It’s just too convenient to resist. Will have to continue working out when I get back.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 14 Sep 2022 11:44 am
14 years ago, I lost 26 kg in 22.5 weeks. The program I was on was a low/no carb diet but not a high fat one. It was balanced and while I was not allowed to drink any soft drinks I was allowed to drink up to 1 ltr of Coke Zero/day. If you do a search on this forum around 2008/09 you might fine the thread. To this day, I still do not use sugar or salt in the preparation or seasoning of my food although what's eaten outside of the home (very little) I cannot control. I don't miss either and I no longer drink Coke Zero as I never cared for Coke but I do drink Pepsi Black (probably 2 cans a day in the evening, drinking Teh-O most of the day. Never went back to drinking sugar-laden soft drinks, etc.
On second read, I’m a little curious, if it was a low carb diet, but not high in fat, am I right to assume most of what you consumed was fruit and veggies? Or am I missing something.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:17 am

Hakanx wrote:
Tue, 13 Sep 2022 9:19 pm
abbby wrote:
Can it be intermittent fasting for 10 hours (and fast after the 10th hr till the next day)? Intermittent fasting with carbs, does that slow down the weight loss progress?
Hello. Can I drink zero coke on intermittent fasting? I'm addicted to coke. I want to follow this diet program but coke is a problem for me.
When it comes to weight loss, it is caloric intake that matters, so you should be able to drink any diet sodas as they are low in calorie or have none altogether. I should caution you, though, that there are some health risks associated with drinking diet sodas over those made with sugar. Something about the body losing the ability to produce insulin (if I remember correctly), which can have long-term health impacts down the line.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 6:54 am

Hakanx wrote:
abbby wrote:
Nope, you can't.
As far as I know the principles of intermittent fasting is also sensory deprivation for anything that can make your body think you actually eat something that contains sugars. This includes all sweeteners based drinks but also anything that has distinctive flavors, that may be mistaken for fruits or similar food. For example, no flavored tea or coffee even without sugar.

And drinking even the zero coke type is very bad. I used to drink like 1.5-3l of it each day and ended up with some stomach problems. Cokes are very acidic. Better look for more healthy alternatives.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 3:10 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:15 am
On second read, I’m a little curious, if it was a low carb diet, but not high in fat, am I right to assume most of what you consumed was fruit and veggies? Or am I missing something.
Fruits (not all though - sadly couldn't eat Avacado!! :cry: ) Basically all green leafy vegetables but nothing that grows beneath the ground or grains. (starches) Plenty of protein sources like poultry (skinless of course) fish (but not all) and meat (primarily beef, but not fatty beef, wagyu out of the question. Sirloin also out of the question. I had steak 3 x a week (eye-round as it virtually fat free). Even today that's the steak I eat. Pork/Ham cannot. Eggs also can (but while on the diet only 1 egg a day. The only thing I was allowed to eat that was processed (e.g., canned) was Tuna but it had to be in brine/water, not oil. There was enough variety that there are recipe books that were produced that were diet friendly. No special foods, no pre-prepared meals, nothing needed other than the fresh food shelves at NTUC. Or whichever market you like to splurge on.

The key was you did not count calories but you did have to weigh all your food to the gram (almost all kitchens today have electronic scales that weigh in grams/ozs etc). The Doctor already did the work for you. It worked extremely well and in the process I got rid of HBP, Gout, and Cholesterol issues and my local physician, after studying the links I gave him, at the end he cut out all of my meds that I'd been on for over a decade prior to the diet. I managed to keep it off for almost 8 years before it started creeping back up (due to age/inactivity/captivity (Covid)

been around 78~80kg for the last couple of years but that still a ways from the 94kg I weighed before the diet. And if I stop the snacking while watching Netflix and housekeeping the forum till 3 am every damn night I would lose it all in a couple of months as the 3 basic meals haven't changed aside from the weights which were increased at the end of the diet to stabilize my weight and stop the losses. Just the snacking has to quit.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 21 Sep 2022 1:39 am

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 6:54 am
Hakanx wrote:
abbby wrote:
Nope, you can't.
As far as I know the principles of intermittent fasting is also sensory deprivation for anything that can make your body think you actually eat something that contains sugars. This includes all sweeteners based drinks but also anything that has distinctive flavors, that may be mistaken for fruits or similar food. For example, no flavored tea or coffee even without sugar.

And drinking even the zero coke type is very bad. I used to drink like 1.5-3l of it each day and ended up with some stomach problems. Cokes are very acidic. Better look for more healthy alternatives.
Is that so? So is intermittent fasting something that primarily works psychologically?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 21 Sep 2022 1:42 am

Sun, 18 Sep 2022 3:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Fruits (not all though - sadly couldn't eat Avacado!! :cry: ) Basically all green leafy vegetables but nothing that grows beneath the ground or grains. (starches) Plenty of protein sources like poultry (skinless of course) fish (but not all) and meat (primarily beef, but not fatty beef, wagyu out of the question. Sirloin also out of the question. I had steak 3 x a week (eye-round as it virtually fat free). Even today that's the steak I eat. Pork/Ham cannot. Eggs also can (but while on the diet only 1 egg a day. The only thing I was allowed to eat that was processed (e.g., canned) was Tuna but it had to be in brine/water, not oil. There was enough variety that there are recipe books that were produced that were diet friendly. No special foods, no pre-prepared meals, nothing needed other than the fresh food shelves at NTUC. Or whichever market you like to splurge on.

The key was you did not count calories but you did have to weigh all your food to the gram (almost all kitchens today have electronic scales that weigh in grams/ozs etc). The Doctor already did the work for you. It worked extremely well and in the process I got rid of HBP, Gout, and Cholesterol issues and my local physician, after studying the links I gave him, at the end he cut out all of my meds that I'd been on for over a decade prior to the diet. I managed to keep it off for almost 8 years before it started creeping back up (due to age/inactivity/captivity (Covid)

been around 78~80kg for the last couple of years but that still a ways from the 94kg I weighed before the diet. And if I stop the snacking while watching Netflix and housekeeping the forum till 3 am every damn night I would lose it all in a couple of months as the 3 basic meals haven't changed aside from the weights which were increased at the end of the diet to stabilize my weight and stop the losses. Just the snacking has to quit.
Wow, so it’s restrictive yet not at the same time. Interesting! If you’re looking for a low cal snack, might I suggest popcorn - incredibly low cal, very tasty and cheap and easy to make (or buy).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Sep 2022 6:52 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 21 Sep 2022 1:39 am
x9200 wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 6:54 am
Hakanx wrote:

Nope, you can't.

Is that so? So is intermittent fasting something that primarily works psychologically?
It is more over the line, you see or smell something tasty and your body starts to produce saliva. If I remember correctly insulin secretion is mentioned that is triggered even with artificial sweeteners and flavoring stuff. So not really psychological. Not sure if this is all true but seems to make sense.

I don't follow this diet, my wife does, but what I can tell, this is the first diet that works for her for over 10 years, and she tried many many different. She follows rather extreme routine, something like 30h fasting 18h eating but she clearly sees the progress.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Sep 2022 1:44 pm

Sun, 18 Sep 2022 3:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
SMS, no pork at all? I mean, even occasionally? Not that I am any big fan of it, I eat almost entirely poultry, beef or so called "mutton" (meaning goat meat), but pork spare ribs and some sausages are kind of hard to replace :-|
Chicken and turkey ham is on the other hand a good substitute.

As for the diet, based on my own experience the best way to go is not to mix high carbs with high fat so I just avoid grains, rice, noodles and obviously high sugar (sucrose) content food, but I don't particularly avoid fatty ingredients. Another thing I notice, it is important to have a good breakfast every morning and eat more, rather than eat less less later on skipping breakfast. Somehow such breakfast seems to accelerate metabolism.

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Thu, 22 Sep 2022 3:49 pm

Been doing intermittent fasting with Low carb focusing on chicken , beef, eggs and sea food for around a month and could shed off 9 lbs.. one beer in a couple of days, brown bread once in a while,
Watermelon as a substitute for sweet cravings but I do eat cake/chocolatesonce in a couple of days.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Sep 2022 7:23 pm

x9200, Pork/Ham products were verboten during my diet due to the fatty nature of the meat - so never went back to eating pork - The only thing I really miss is a couple rashers of good bacon at breakfast to go with my veg omelet. After the diet I basically stayed on the same regime except for increasing the weight (how much in a given meal) but a lot of what I had to give up I've never returned to in the 14 years since. Rice, Potatoes, Carrots, most grains, white bread, corn, etc. (However I do, when out, occasionally eat some white [(but in the form of a hamburger roll which is the only time and I rarely eat out. I do eat the occasional beef meat pie so there is some pastry shell but that usually normally only 1 per week. My help just set my dinner plate in front of me as I'm typing this (140 gm Toman [common name: snakehead] fried in lite olive oil & 140 gm +/- of Kailan (boiled without any seasoning/salt etc). I've long learned that food without salt has unique flavours in of themselves that is usually cover up or disguised with soy or salt which I no longer use. That's it for my evening meal, along with an Earl Grey Tea (black).

Return to “Beauty, Health & Fitness”