Singapore Expats

Will Singapore banks report financials to home land authorities?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
thom84

Will Singapore banks report financials to home land authorities?

Post by thom84 » Wed, 23 Dec 2020 5:01 pm

Hi folks

I used to live in Singapore until earlier this year and have currents, savings and trading accounts with a local bank. However, I remember that they asked me for my home tax ID when I registered the account.

Does anyone have experiences with this and knows if the banks will automatically inform homeland income authorities over details like sold stocks, gained dividends and things like that?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Will Singapore banks report financials to home land authorities?

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 10:17 am

Assume yes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 3:10 pm

^^^^This!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 7:45 pm

Singapore has several information sharing agreements in place including with FATCA (US) and CRS (EU) to name a few.

You should always assume the information is being reported, however, if Singapore hasn’t asked you for any foreign tax ID numbers yet, I would say the risk is lower, but not zero. Once Singapore does collect that information from you, it is almost guaranteed that the accounts will be reported. If you fail to report on your side and get caught, the consequences are serious and costly.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 8:07 pm

thom84, this may interest you.....

https://www.taxjustice.net/2020/08/21/g ... and-clues/

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 10:21 pm

One interesting thing that happened when we opened a POSB account in my daughter’s name alone after she turned 7, using only her Singapore birth certificate... the bank teller assumed incorrectly that she was a Singapore citizen and registered the account as such. No FATCA forms as the US indicia (father being a US citizen) were completely overlooked.

I seriously doubt that the account will ever be reported by Singapore, which doesn’t mean a free pass, but I’ll take it as some accidental risk reduction due to the oversight... and in the unlikely event she ever overlooks reporting the account in the future, at least she will have a lower risk of getting flagged and penalized for it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

thom84

Post by thom84 » Mon, 28 Dec 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks guys. I was aware of CRS (FATCA not relevant for me) but I was wondering what level of details they share with the home countries.

This shared link is interesting. It's highlighting countries that are reporting back to Germany but I guess this would look the same for any other country under CRS...
However, Singapore reports accounts, income and balance and that answers my initial question more than expected.

Thanks for sharing!

TL;DR: Your home country will know everything* about accounts in Singapore being held by individuals and/or entities. (*when participating in FATCA/CRS)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:49 pm

I'd add to that any country in the Four Eyes agreement as well (Singapore, Australia, NZ and HK I think at a minimum).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!