Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore with husband as a "dependent"

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

martinaz

Moving to Singapore with husband as a "dependent"

Postby martinaz » Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:17 am

Hi there,

My husband and I are negotiating a contract in Singapore. This would be our second experience living there, and we completed a 2 year contract there 4 years ago. This time, I would be going there as the primary "breadwinner" and he would come to Singapore initially with a dependent pass. I remember from our last stay there that this was a bit frowned upon, and I am wondering if this is still an issue. When he finds employment in Singapore (which we are optimistic about given his skills), is it hard to change the dependent pass into an employment pass? Thanks for the advice if anyone out there has had that same experience.

Martina

pevans

Postby pevans » Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:13 pm

I'm going through exactly that experience right now.

haven't experienced any of the frowning your talking about. Most people are a little shocked but at the same time supportive !!

We've only been here a month so still feeling the place out, but i also plan on finding a job eventually. Everyone i've spoke to so far seems to think it shouldn't be a drama changing my pass over to a Employment pass..

Fingers crossed i guess. We wouldn't have come here if our financial security was dependant on me being able to work......

Have fun !!

martinaz

Postby martinaz » Tue, 05 Apr 2005 8:41 am

thanks for the reply! our situation would not be dependent on my husband working, so i'm hoping this would be a great opportunity for him to write that "great American novel"! :D our package should be settled this month, and hopefully it will work out. i loved living in singapore three years ago, and i can't wait for my daughter (2 years old) to see this wonderful place. thanks again!

pevans

Postby pevans » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 9:25 am

No problems

Thats sort of the way we looked at the opportunity also ( not to write a novel) but for me to have the freedom to try something different with out having the pressure of 'making a living' from it.

We also have a 2 year old who so far appears to love it, even the extra attention he appears to recieve from the locals for his blonde hair seems to have brought him out of his shy patch..

Best of luck to the three of you !!

martinaz

Postby martinaz » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 6:34 am

How exciting for you and your family! If you don't mind, could I get your email address? Maybe we could arrange a "playdate" if we get our contract in Singapore. If you aren't comfortable leaving your email here, let me know, and I can send you mine. :D Nice to talk to you.

doris12

Prolems forseen

Postby doris12 » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 2:31 pm

Hi,
who are the people who frown and seem to have a problem with the kind of life one prefers to lead. ? we are a young couple and I ( female) have got a job in Sg. My husband intends to come here on DP and may not even work - me being the breadwinner- will this be a problem?It may not be typical Asian mentality but we prefer it this way. If we wish to apply for PR later, will my husband not working be an issue?

martinaz

reply to "problems forseen"

Postby martinaz » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:38 pm

Hi there,

I don't have first-hand knowledge of problems, but I had a colleague (a woman) who worked with me in Singapore 4 years ago. She came to Singapore from the US with her husband. He applied for a dependent pass. Later, when he tried to apply for an employment pass, he had problems. She (and my company representatives) implied that this was the result of a view that it's "unusual" to have the husband come over as a dependent and there was some sort of stigma attached. I never knew for sure if this was true.

As a result of this, my husband and I made sure we both had jobs and employment passes when we lived in Singapore the last time. This time, I would be the one with a contract, and we don't have anything set up for my husband. It's not a big deal to us, but my husband will probably want to work at some point during the 3 year contract, and we were wondering if any other men in Singapore on dependent passes had had any problems. I don't meant to imply anything that might not be true. Just curious since this isn't an arrangement we are used to. Good luck to you with your posting!

martinaz

reply to "problems forseen"

Postby martinaz » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:39 pm

Hi there,

I don't have first-hand knowledge of problems, but I had a colleague (a woman) who worked with me in Singapore 4 years ago. She came to Singapore from the US with her husband. He applied for a dependent pass. Later, when he tried to apply for an employment pass, he had problems. She (and my company representatives) implied that this was the result of a view that it's "unusual" to have the husband come over as a dependent and there was some sort of stigma attached. I never knew for sure if this was true.

As a result of this, my husband and I made sure we both had jobs and employment passes when we lived in Singapore the last time. This time, I would be the one with a contract, and we don't have anything set up for my husband. It's not a big deal to us, but my husband will probably want to work at some point during the 3 year contract, and we were wondering if any other men in Singapore on dependent passes had had any problems. I don't meant to imply anything that might not be true. Just curious since this isn't an arrangement we are used to. Good luck to you with your posting!

doris12

disturbing info

Postby doris12 » Fri, 08 Apr 2005 9:43 am

hey, thanks for the information. I always thought being on DP would be better than nothing at all. But it appears the reverse. If you dont mind could you tell me what exactly did this guy face? I mean MOM delayed his EP or made him run around or did his company say something?