Singapore Expats

Do you miss flying?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Do you miss flying?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 8:54 am

Hi SMS - any insight as to the younger cohort timings?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 12:17 pm

They didn't go there, it was a multi-group zoom with various relevant RC's and actually focused on how to handle the questions from the elderly who would be receiving the letters and how to address their concerns and how the tracking & appointments (2 each, first and 20 days later the 2nd) systems operate. But as there are only two vaccines currently approved by HSA here, I reckon the younger persons won't be officially scheduled until the 2nd approved vaccine, Moderna arrives and supplements the existing stock of the currently being used Pfizer one. Time line unknown but they are ramping up fast. Several places are ready but just waiting for stocks to arrive. The letters to the elderly are set to be mailed out starting on the 19th with appointments starting on the 20th.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 2:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 05 Feb 2021 1:44 pm
I'm currently hoping for fall of '22 to FL/MD (both scary states)
Do you still have credit history in the US?

Over the past decade or so, the credit card signup offers have gotten so attractive, and they have eliminated foreign transaction fees in many cases. I usually manage to get at least $1,000 out of the credit card companies each time I go back.

You have to plan ahead and have someone in the US pass you the card details. Just the flight purchase alone will easily satisfy one signup offer, then you’ve got stuff to buy on Amazon, etc. I often receive stuff at hotels during my stay or choose self collect at the closest Walmart.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 4:05 pm

I reckon I do as I still have a US based AMEX & VISA card and a US Bank account. I've not checked it in the last 30 years though. However, without a current job, not sure if I'd still pass muster on an application form. The Amex never gets used at all and the US Visa card get used a lot via Amazon & eBay and are paid via my US bank account so I think there should still be a credit history there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 7:38 pm

As long as you have excellent credit, you will be approved for just about any card - even without employment and limited income. The US is a lot more loose about handing out credit compared to SG. I have never been asked for proof of income. You can use total household income, from any sources. Nowadays you typically get near instant approval online, sometimes they will even give you temporary card details to use until the physical card arrives. Way easier than SG, that is for sure!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Feb 2021 10:25 pm

Would be different to have a US CC that didn't have 'member since 1979' at the bottom! Maybe I could pass for being a lot younger when I pay my massage tabs. :mrgreen: As it is now, they just ask if I want a blue pill or not! :-(

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 14 Feb 2021 11:04 pm

Addadude wrote:
Wed, 23 Dec 2020 7:24 pm
Certainly don't miss flying. Airports, planes, idiot fellow passengers, uncomfortable, cramped seats, lousy food etc... Nothing I miss there. But actually visiting places - yes I do miss that.
My sentiments exactly. Flying gives me such terrible anxiety, everything about it is so uncomfortable. The dryness of the air, not being able to shower until you get to your destination (which in my case can be almost 2 days because I fly from Singapore to Miami), and dealing with loud, inconsiderate passengers. I hate the journey, but it’s always exciting to be flying to a new destination.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Feb 2021 10:50 am

Lisa, which way do you fly to Miami?

I used to fly (pre-covid) to TPI (Tampa) every other year as my sister lives there. for the past 36 years it only take me an average of 24~26 hours from Singapore to Tampa or 24 hrs to BWI in Baltimore (I'm from the Eastern Shore of MD).

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 2:39 am

BigginHill wrote:
Wed, 27 Jan 2021 1:52 pm
"Immunity Gap" - an apt description that could well describe other zero-infection policy countries like SG, Aus, NZ, Taiwan, Pac nations etc.
Only just noticed this jan 2021 SBR article - same concept...

Singapore's COVID-19 ‘elimination' strategy may delay opening borders past 2022

"Vaccination won’t hasten reopening"

"With vaccination programs rolling out, countries with high cases like the United Kingdom and United States may see a significant drop in COVID-19 cases, but Jefferies argues that governments invested in the "zero case" approach will be hard pressed to open borders.

“Imagine a scenario where due to vaccines and social distancing, the very high case numbers in the USA and UK start to reduce. By the middle of 2021, cases in some European countries have fallen to less than 1,000 per day. That’s a marked improvement, but even at those levels, governments that take zero case approaches will not want to be seen as exposing their populations to the risk of inbound infection. As a result, they will very likely keep their travel restrictions and significant quarantines in place for some time,” Jefferies said.

Singapore still continues to have a cautious approach towards the vaccine, even with the government’s own plans to have every citizen vaccinated by the end of 2021.

According to Multi-ministry Taskforce co-chair Lawrence Wong, vaccinated travellers to the country are still subject to Stay-Home Notice requirements."

---

So, yeah, border closure & SHN into 2023... - quite concerning really.

(btw, perhaps the thread would be served better as "Do you miss >travelling<?")

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 18 Feb 2021 11:39 am

I agree - flying is a means to an end.

Who can say they really miss being crammed into a small space with a hundred or more other people, having to sit in a confined space and use tiny water closets with sticky floors. Throw in an occasional inconsiderate passenger or two, plus the noise, the pressure, the dry cold air, and a healthy dose of comic radiation for good measure... and don’t forget the tiny risk of an untimely demise should things go horribly wrong.

We bear the flying in order to travel.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 9:38 am

Mon, 15 Feb 2021 10:50 am
Lisa, which way do you fly to Miami?

I used to fly (pre-covid) to TPI (Tampa) every other year as my sister lives there. for the past 36 years it only take me an average of 24~26 hours from Singapore to Tampa or 24 hrs to BWI in Baltimore (I'm from the Eastern Shore of MD).
We fly one of 3 routes. We used to fly SG-Narita(JPN)-MIA, and occasionally SG-NY-MIA. In recent years we have switched to flying on British Airways, from SG-LDN-MIA. The time estimate I have includes layovers (12 hours in Heathrow on the way back to Singapore).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:12 am

I think the longest layovers I have were no more than 3 hrs max. But I do fly a different route, using O'hara which puts me within 1.5 hrs of BWI and 2.5 or so hrs to TPI. O'hara is a very tight connection usually (wear track shoes to get to the domestic terminal from the Int'l terminal -inbound) but as it flies a semi-polar route over Alaska across Canada into Chicago it is actually the same flight time as landing in SF or LA or even shorter. I normally don't even have to change my watch as it's the same time on the East Coast as in Singapore (just the am/pm time change). I generally leave on a 0600 flight from Sg and land, say in BWI, around 1800~1900 hrs the same day.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:30 pm

Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:12 am
I think the longest layovers I have were no more than 3 hrs max. But I do fly a different route, using O'hara which puts me within 1.5 hrs of BWI and 2.5 or so hrs to TPI. O'hara is a very tight connection usually (wear track shoes to get to the domestic terminal from the Int'l terminal -inbound) but as it flies a semi-polar route over Alaska across Canada into Chicago it is actually the same flight time as landing in SF or LA or even shorter. I normally don't even have to change my watch as it's the same time on the East Coast as in Singapore (just the am/pm time change). I generally leave on a 0600 flight from Sg and land, say in BWI, around 1800~1900 hrs the same day.
What a dream. Our layovers are at least six hours minimum; the 12 hour layover on the way back in London is always torture because it’s always winter (unless we go during her June holiday break) and we’re uncomfortable and exhausted. Incessant complaining from my daughter, but I can’t really blame her because I feel the same way.