Singapore Expats

I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
smiler594

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 8:32 pm

Thank you malcontent

I will certainly explore this possibility if it results in being able to conduct a job search over a longer period, while also adding to my skillset.

PLACES FROM WHICH CAN RE-ENTER INTO SINGAPORE AS OF 21/12/20.
UK CITIZEN CAN POSSIBLY RE-ENTER SINGAPORE FROM AUSTRALIA, BRUNEI, NEW ZEALAND AND TAIWAN FOR UP TO 90 DAYS??
In addition - the following countries have an automated Air Travel Pass allowing re-entry into Singapore subject to possible quarantine and costs for testing. I could fly out, do an ATP, fly back. The only question is how long is the ATP valid for? Not been able to confirm, but if its only 7 days and not 30 or more, then I wouldnt use this option.

Australia Air Travel Pass
Brunei Darussalam Air Travel Pass
Reciprocal Green Lane
Germany Reciprocal Green Lane
Hong Kong Air Travel Bubble launch deferred. Click here for more details.
Indonesia Reciprocal Green Lane
Japan Reciprocal Green Lane
Mainland China Air Travel Pass Reciprocal Green Lane2
Malaysia Reciprocal Green Lane Periodic Commuting Arrangement
New Zealand Air Travel Pass
Taiwan Air Travel Pass
Republic of Korea Reciprocal Green Lane
Vietnam Air Travel Pass

https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/australia/atp/faq
8. How long is the validity of an ATP?
An ATP is valid for single entry into Singapore anytime from the visitor’s intended date of entry and up to seven calendar days after.

For example, visitors who hold a valid ATP to enter Singapore on 1 November 2020, have up to 8 November to do so should they need to make changes to their flight departure date.

10. How long can visitors stay in Singapore?
Visitors who are granted entry into Singapore will be issued with a visit pass by ICA at the immigration checkpoints. The duration of stay in Singapore will be generally aligned to that accorded to the passport holder prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Please note that the ATP is not an immigration visit pass. It only allows visitors to travel to and seek entry into Singapore within a specified period.

11. Are visitors able to extend their duration of stay in Singapore?
All applications for extension of visit pass must be submitted online using ICA’s e-service (https://eservices.ica.gov.sg/esvclandingpage/extend) at least seven days prior to the expiry of the visit pass to avoid overstaying. Each application will be considered on its own merits and there is no guarantee that an extension will be granted.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 9:34 pm

The harsh reality is that MOM in cahoots with ICA is pushing foreign workers of all types out to buoy local employment.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 9:44 pm

smiler594 wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:55 pm
thank you sundaymorningstaple and Malcontent,

CONVERSION OF SHORT TERM PASS TO A STUDENT PASS - POSSIBLE?
Is it possible to apply to study something like a foreign language full time in Singapore hence change the 30 day short term pass to a student pass? Could then switch classes to evenings or online once job is secured. This is only to buy time to job search, but learning a new language might also be nice.

Thanks
Not possible for your case. ICA clearly knows the intention. Looks you are just trying to find what all you can experiment with.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 9:47 pm

smiler594 wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 8:32 pm

UK CITIZEN CAN POSSIBLY RE-ENTER SINGAPORE FROM AUSTRALIA, BRUNEI, NEW ZEALAND AND TAIWAN FOR UP TO 90 DAYS??
You are not trying to understand what we say. 90 days is normal situation. Now with a UK passport you will need an ENTRY APPROVAL before you can enter and get a 90 days STVP. Close to impossible to get ENTRY APPROVAL without a valid urgent reason.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 9:53 pm

Your only hope is to have issues finding a return flight around Jan 30th and get an emergency extension.

smiler594

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:36 pm

Thank you Singaporeflyer and PNGMK

I'll update here on my call with ICA tomorrow.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 22 Dec 2020 10:18 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:58 pm
I have no experience with this, but I would think if you can find a school willing to sponsor a student pass for you... it should be possible?

How is this not a game?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 22 Dec 2020 11:25 am

It sounded like there was a genuine intent to study and learn a language, even if a job is not found.
Last edited by malcontent on Tue, 22 Dec 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 22 Dec 2020 1:23 pm

You are a UK citizen and you don't have a family here, why would you try to go out of your way to try and live in SG? Makes no sense to me.

You could go back to the UK and continue to look for jobs in Singapore or anywhere else.

I always find, resisting something and trying to go out of your way is futile.

Sent from my Redmi Note 10X using Tapatalk

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Tue, 22 Dec 2020 1:33 pm

smiler594 wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:55 pm
thank you sundaymorningstaple and Malcontent,

CONVERSION OF SHORT TERM PASS TO A STUDENT PASS - POSSIBLE?
Is it possible to apply to study something like a foreign language full time in Singapore hence change the 30 day short term pass to a student pass? Could then switch classes to evenings or online once job is secured. This is only to buy time to job search, but learning a new language might also be nice.

Thanks
If you do decided to do a full time study here, be very careful about fulfilling the requirements of that visa.
Just like the UK, if you are a foreign student and are not authorised to work and you do work, then you will get in serious trouble.

Also, they may check if you are attending your classes...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Dec 2020 7:59 pm

I have my doubts. This gambit has been tried many times over the years. Had you applied for tertiary education while still employed with a start date after retrenchment, I'm pretty sure ICA would see their way clear to an extension. However, what you are trying to do is exactly what I and Mal were referring to. Trying to find a way to game the system. Good Luck. I feel you are going to need it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 23 Dec 2020 12:14 am

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 22 Dec 2020 1:23 pm
You are a UK citizen and you don't have a family here, why would you try to go out of your way to try and live in SG? Makes no sense to me.

You could go back to the UK and continue to look for jobs in Singapore or anywhere else.

I always find, resisting something and trying to go out of your way is futile.

Sent from my Redmi Note 10X using Tapatalk
Good point... what is the draw? Without a job, it can’t be money... maybe it’s love, perhaps a family connection or a local love interest?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Dec 2020 12:30 pm

If he looks for a local job, for whatever reason, I would think he had much better chance to secure one living in Singapore than half of the globe away. This might have changed due to the Covid restrictions and more widely adopted TC as a routine for job interviews but ultimately hiring someone for any reasonably paid position probably still involves an interview in person.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 23 Dec 2020 4:34 pm

It's possible there will be less issues after Dec 28. Phase 3 includes some reductions in restrictions for STVP I believe.

smiler594

Post by smiler594 » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 12:40 am

Thank you singaporeflyer, PNGMK, x9200, sundaymorningstaple , Wd40, Max Headroom and TropicalExpat

To reply:
1. I am genuinely interested in languages, for example learning Business Mandarin to give me a chance to find a bi lingual future role and practise it in a "native" immersive environment vs learning in London, I already use Japanese and Russian for current job. I would commit to the course in full time mode and achieve the result. However, I take the point that taking a course so close to deadline may not look good. I may not go this route. This is speculative at best, as pointed out, i had not enrolled earlier in the year, and this may indeed look odd by ICA.
2. The draw is love, my gf is Singaporean. We need more time together. Have better chance of getting employment being local as local interviews in my industry, norm I have experienced to date is first round(s) remote, final rounds in person. Local is a huge advantage.
3. Thank you I will review again Dec 28th
4. Today i have gone back to doctor at NUH treating my pre-existing medical condition. I have an appointment letter for February and a note from doctor requiring me to attend and continue treatment. I can try this openly and honestly with ICA as grounds to extend STVP. If they say no, i will comply, like it or not. Its the appropriate way IMO.