Singapore Expats

I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by malcontent » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 1:37 am

Good luck smiler!

Sometimes you never know. Like in my case, when I arrived here in 1996, they only gave 30 days for tourism. My gf at the time sponsored extensions (as required at that time). At first they only gave me a 2 week extension, we immediately appealed and asked for 30 days instead, which they approved after a brief interview. After that, we requested another extension and got another 30 days (it was supposed to be a maximum of 90 days). After that, we just tried again and surprisingly got another 30 days. Shortly after, I got some job offers and started EP processing, and there’s no problem extending your stay once you’ve got an EP application submitted.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by emergency234 » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 9:45 am

smiler594 wrote:
Thu, 24 Dec 2020 12:40 am
4. Today i have gone back to doctor at NUH treating my pre-existing medical condition. I have an appointment letter for February and a note from doctor requiring me to attend and continue treatment. I can try this openly and honestly with ICA as grounds to extend STVP. If they say no, i will comply, like it or not. Its the appropriate way IMO.
That doctor's letter might not work .We do get a lot of requests from foreign patients asking for memos to ICA.If it's a run of the mill appointment , it's not likely to get a second look unfortunately.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 10:39 am

Medical exemptions are one of the few categories that are allowed for STVP passes. You might get it in.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

smiler594

Post by smiler594 » Fri, 29 Jan 2021 4:55 pm

So I called ICA call centre today Tel: 6391 6100.

They said:

1. There is no restriction on leaving Singapore.

2. If you go to any country that allows visitors from Singapore eg Australia or New Zealand, you can apply for Air Travel Pass to enter Singapore and length of stay in Singapore is dependent on type of passport and immigration officer at time of entry.

The second part of what she said is really interesting:

"dependent on type of passport" and " immigration officer at time of entry"

This seems to imply a range of stay up to max, say for a British passport holder, 90 days, subject to the above.

Over at ica website faq points 8 and 10 say:

https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/australia/atp/faq
8. How long is the validity of an ATP?

An ATP is valid for single entry into Singapore anytime from the visitor’s intended date of entry and up to seven calendar days after. For example, visitors who hold a valid ATP to enter Singapore on 1 November 2020, have up to 8 November to do so should they need to make changes to their flight departure date.

10. How long can visitors stay in Singapore?

Visitors who are granted entry into Singapore will be issued with a visit pass by ICA at the immigration checkpoints. The duration of stay in Singapore will be generally aligned to that accorded to the passport holder prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
I haven't tested this, but i may have to, if someone has done this, or even succeeded in extending while here, please update your experience in reply?

This would be very helpful to others in a similar situation. Thank you

Countries allowing Air Travel Pass currently include

https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/atp/overview

Country/Region
  • Australia (excluding New South Wales)

Brunei Darussalam

Mainland China

New Zealand

Taiwan

Vietnam
PROPOSAL: A British passport holder currently in Singapore on a 30 days short term visitor pass expiring 28/2/21 might fly to one of these countries, apply for a ATP, and fly back, get stamped up to max of his passport allowed stay in Singapore?
Factors to consider
1. Rental accommodation - terminate rental agreement prior to departure and/or to leave items in storage just in case return to SG not granted?
2. In the listed countries above, factor in cost of possible 2 weeks quarantine and again upon return?

[NOT CONFIRMED]

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:30 pm

You can't get to any of these countries right now. Not unless you're a citizen or related to one or have a biz visa.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 30 Jan 2021 8:23 am

Brunei is dead boring...it might be cheap...better to actually serve quarantine somewhere else than go to Brunei...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

smiler594

Post by smiler594 » Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:19 pm

Thank you PNGMK and BBCDoc

Need to explore all non ATP destinations then to be able to go and return to SG, if ATP locations all limited to ATP country passport holders.

Dubai
China
Thailand

The above come to mind...

Want to be able to get passport stamped for 90 days stay on return.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:48 am

smiler594 wrote:
Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:19 pm
Thank you PNGMK and BBCDoc

Need to explore all non ATP destinations then to be able to go and return to SG, if ATP locations all limited to ATP country passport holders.

Dubai
China
Thailand

The above come to mind...

Want to be able to get passport stamped for 90 days stay on return.
Dubai is the most logical and ha the best flight connections. It really is full of Covid19 refugees and has a pretty good record for letting people in. I don't know the process. I would not bother with China. Thailand is also ok I guess but their process is a little more tiresome due to enforced quarantine.

Dubai: "Short-term visitors are allowed to enter Dubai since 7 July 2020. All visitors must take a PCR test for COVID-19 no more than 72 hours before departure and present the negative test certificate (in hardcopy) on arrival. Visitors must have a valid medical travel insurance and are also required to download COVID19 – DXB Smart App on IOS or Android and register their details on it. "

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:58 am

Some more options:

Turkey (same requirements as Dubai)
Mexico (no requirements) - Mexico is also turning into a refuge - a lot of stranded Aussies (whose US visas have expired) have ended up there due to the cost and ease of entry.
Maldives only requires a test.
Some African countries are easy but flights will be a pain.

My choices would be in order:
Mexico if strapped for cash. Case count is up but not out of control.
Dubai if you have the wherewithal. Case count is probably complete bullshit coz of lying arabs so take your chances.
Turkey is you're short on cash and have trouble getting a flight to Mexico. Note that their case count is rapidly increasing. It may not be safe.
Thailand if you can stand the 14 days quarantine and onerious paperwork but it's cheaper and pretty safe.
Maldives if you have the wherewithal but recognize that getting sick is a bad idea there.

This may be useful:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Also Singapore is rapidly closing green lanes and I expect ATP will also be challenged.

smiler594

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 01 Feb 2021 11:43 pm

with thanks PNGMK

Regarding Dubai, presumably i wont need to obtain a letter of approval from ICA or MoM for re-entry to Singapore as i am now on a Short Term Visitor Visa for 30 days. I will check this.

When in Dubai, i will probably need to apply for an approval letter of entry into Singapore. I will call ICA and check this out.

I may also need to factor in any quarantine cost.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Feb 2021 9:18 am

^ I see some countries are banning entry from the UAE (UK specifically but more to follow). They know something we don't.

^^ I don't understand the STV system at all - I didn't think it allowed re-entry like a multi entry visa? But yes - do you research. Dubai, Mexico and Turkey do not require Quarantine at present so best move fast before they do!