Singapore Expats Forum
 

I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

One World International School
smiler594
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:20 pm

I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:33 pm

Your advice is kindly appreciated. I have tried to summarise clearly below.

FACTS:
1. I am a UK citizen working in Singapore.
2. I have been made redundant effective 31 December 2020.
3. I have no family here. I'm on my own.

ADVICE NEEDED:
1. How do i stay in Singapore longer than 30 days after EP expiry to continue job search?
2. Is there a phone number of any legal service anyone recommends i talk to for advice? I do not mind paying for a service if it can help me.
3. ICA appointments are impossible to get. It says click on date but no date is available. Any advice here?
4. I understand i will get 30 days short term pass to continue job search. Can this be renewed by me for longer than 30 days?

I am in second round interviews with some companies taking 4 or 5 rounds. There is no guarantee I will get placed in another job within 30 days. I called the British embassy but they re-directed me back to ICA.

Thank you in advance

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:38 pm

smiler594 wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:33 pm
Your advice is kindly appreciated. I have tried to summarise clearly below.

FACTS:
1. I am a UK citizen working in Singapore.
2. I have been made redundant effective 31 December 2020.
3. I have no family here. I'm on my own.

ADVICE NEEDED:
1. How do i stay in Singapore longer than 30 days after EP expiry to continue job search?
2. Is there a phone number of any legal service anyone recommends i talk to for advice? I do not mind paying for a service if it can help me.
3. ICA appointments are impossible to get. It says click on date but no date is available. Any advice here?
4. I understand i will get 30 days short term pass to continue job search. Can this be renewed by me for longer than 30 days?

I am in second round interviews with some companies taking 4 or 5 rounds. There is no guarantee I will get placed in another job within 30 days. I called the British embassy but they re-directed me back to ICA.

Thank you in advance
If you are on EP, only your Employer can help u extend the SVP more than 30 days. Deal direct with only ICA or MOM and not any other service provider/consultancy.

smiler594
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:20 pm

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:59 pm

Hi SingaporeFlyer - thank you for the quick response and the many others I noticed you replied on..(i was eagerly scanning through!)

In my last discussion with Employer they said 30 days. Presumably, this is the regular 30 day extension Short Term Pass...Do you know under which criteria an Employer can help to extend beyond 30 days STP? I can try to ask for this specifically under the criteria that might be applicable in a follow up discussion tomorrow.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:02 pm

smiler594 wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:59 pm
Hi SingaporeFlyer - thank you for the quick response and the many others I noticed you replied on..(i was eagerly scanning through!)

In my last discussion with Employer they said 30 days. Presumably, this is the regular 30 day extension Short Term Pass...Do you know under which criteria an Employer can help to extend beyond 30 days STP? I can try to ask for this specifically under the criteria that might be applicable in a follow up discussion tomorrow.
They can try to extend again if you dont get suitable flight or if may be there is a lockdown in UK?

In non covid times you may travel and reenter on the standard 90 days STVP, but now NO. You need entry approval to reenter and it is not going to be easy without a valid reason. Also I feel job search may not be a valid reason in the current situation to get entry approval.

So, the only 2 agencies who can help you are MOM via employer or ICA. No one else.
Last edited by singaporeflyer on Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smiler594
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:20 pm

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:13 pm

Hi SingaporeFlyer,

1. ICA/MOM - ok. I cannot make an online appointment at ICA. There are no available dates on it. I will go personally in the morning 9am to their office to ask their advice.

2. RE_ENTRY - There is no location outside of Singapore that i could find which, as of today which allows re-entry INTO Singapore - if anyone knows of a destination allowing re-entry into Singapore (EVEN WITH 14 DAYS QUARANTINE ) please can you suggest a place a to visit?

3. EXTENSION OF SHORT TERM PASS: I am not aware of any criteria under which employer can be guided to help to extend Short Term Pass - if anyone can suggest? It would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:16 pm

smiler594 wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:13 pm
Hi SingaporeFlyer,

1. ICA/MOM - ok. I cannot make an online appointment at ICA. There are no available dates on it. I will go personally in the morning 9am to their office to ask their advice.

2. RE_ENTRY - There is no location outside of Singapore that i could find which, as of today which allows re-entry INTO Singapore - if anyone knows of a destination allowing re-entry into Singapore (EVEN WITH 14 DAYS QUARANTINE ) please can you suggest a place a to visit?

3. EXTENSION OF SHORT TERM PASS: I am not aware of any criteria under which employer can be guided to help to extend Short Term Pass - if anyone can suggest? It would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Reentry into SG needs entry approval now. So, chance for that is close to 0 now. The only option from above is point 3. ICA won't be helping you now as you are on EP under MOM. So, go with option 3. I think I told a couple of scenarios. Looks you didn't catch them.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-pass-ge ... -singapore

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:19 pm

Any reason a normal request for extension wouldn’t work?

https://www.ica.gov.sg/visitor/extendyo ... ocialvisit

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:21 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:19 pm
Any reason a normal request for extension wouldn’t work?

https://www.ica.gov.sg/visitor/extendyo ... ocialvisit
The STVP he will be given first will be from MOM and not ICA.

smiler594
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:20 pm

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:22 pm

Dear malcontent ,

The Short Term Pass given after expiry of EP, as far i was was told, was a final one which cannot be extended. However, have not tested this or the online link you provided with thanks. I will call ICA tomorrow as an appointment cannot be booked online at present. On the call i will explain my circumstances as outlined above, and ask for their advice. I will update here as i fear i may not be the only one affected at this time.

Thank you

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37616
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:38 pm

As noted by SF above, the 30 day SVP is given, under special arrangement, by the MOM and not ICA. MOM has no authority to extend the SVP they give, therefore, exiting the country is necessary. However, due to the covid situation, I believe every case now it taken on it own merits. If there are flights out, even if only 1 a week and the person on the SVP dawdles until they cannot get out, I think the onus will be on them, not ICA. I don't think I would try to test the system. Singapore is great for making examples out of those people who deliberately try to test the system.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:42 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 6:21 pm
The STVP he will be given first will be from MOM and not ICA.
Ah, ok... in that case, it’s a probably a question of whether MOM has the authority to revise the 30 day short term pass to something longer... I doubt MOM can simply extend without an active EP application. If that doesn’t work, I would guess it has to go to ICA.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37616
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:51 pm

It's even worse if you are a WP holder, it is only 14 days and the employer's representative had to accompany you to the airport and ensure you go through immigration.
Before cancelling You need to:

Give reasonable notice of the worker’s repatriation.
Seek tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS).
Settle all outstanding employment issues that your worker may raise, including salary payment.
Ensure your worker has a valid passport.
Buy a direct air ticket to the international airport in the worker’s home country, nearest to the hometown:
You must pay for the air ticket and it must include check-in luggage.
The departure date must be within 2 weeks from the cancellation.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:38 pm
As noted by SF above, the 30 day SVP is given, under special arrangement, by the MOM and not ICA. MOM has no authority to extend the SVP they give, therefore, exiting the country is necessary. However, due to the covid situation, I believe every case now it taken on it own merits. If there are flights out, even if only 1 a week and the person on the SVP dawdles until they cannot get out, I think the onus will be on them, not ICA. I don't think I would try to test the system. Singapore is great for making examples out of those people who deliberately try to test the system.
Very true - in my experience it’s always better to be upfront and don’t try any games.

smiler594
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 5:20 pm

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by smiler594 » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:55 pm

thank you sundaymorningstaple and Malcontent,

CONVERSION OF SHORT TERM PASS TO A STUDENT PASS - POSSIBLE?
Is it possible to apply to study something like a foreign language full time in Singapore hence change the 30 day short term pass to a student pass? Could then switch classes to evenings or online once job is secured. This is only to buy time to job search, but learning a new language might also be nice.

Thanks

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: I am REDUNDANT from 31 December. How do I STAY IN SINGAPORE longer than 30 days after EP expiry, for JOB SEARCH.

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 7:58 pm

I have no experience with this, but I would think if you can find a school willing to sponsor a student pass for you... it should be possible?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests