Singapore Expats

Will teeth shift after braces?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Will teeth shift after braces?

Post by abbby » Sun, 20 Dec 2020 9:06 pm

Will straightened teeth shift after braces and retainers? What's a suitable age to start doing?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Will teeth shift after braces?

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 8:31 am

Let’s put it this way, the improvements from wearing braces/retainer should last a lifetime... provided nothing interferes with the pattern that was set. For example, wisdom teeth that come in later may need to be pulled in order to prevent crowding.

Usually braces can be started in the early teens. My daughter got hers at age 14.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 03 Jan 2021 8:06 pm

I've heard of people saying their teeth got crooked or no longer straight even after braces (even with wearing retainers). So I was really surprised that it could happen?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 06 Jan 2021 7:18 pm

Yes it can happen. And did happen to me, the lower incisors namely. Happened slowly but I know I'm not the only one. And could get them fixed again if I still cared. Upper teeth no issues.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Thu, 07 Jan 2021 12:33 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wed, 06 Jan 2021 7:18 pm
Yes it can happen. And did happen to me, the lower incisors namely. Happened slowly but I know I'm not the only one. And could get them fixed again if I still cared. Upper teeth no issues.
did you have them fixed again after it shifted? I was told it was possibly due to not wearing the retainers every night that could have cause a shift..?

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 07 Jan 2021 2:34 pm

It was ok when I was 16 and all the way till my early 30s then I noticed starting to shift. Or well maybe it happend little by little earlier but didn't pay attention.

So no didn't do anything any more. Now reaching 50 don't really care that much any more.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 07 Jan 2021 4:17 pm

Thu, 07 Jan 2021 2:34 pm
It was ok when I was 16 and all the way till my early 30s then I noticed starting to shift. Or well maybe it happend little by little earlier but didn't pay attention.

So no didn't do anything any more. Now reaching 50 don't really care that much any more.
Did you have all four of your wisdom teeth removed?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 07 Jan 2021 5:55 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 07 Jan 2021 4:17 pm
Thu, 07 Jan 2021 2:34 pm
It was ok when I was 16 and all the way till my early 30s then I noticed starting to shift. Or well maybe it happened little by little earlier but didn't pay attention.

Did you have all four of your wisdom teeth removed?
yes, why?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 07 Jan 2021 8:52 pm

That is usually the main culprit for crowding that moves teeth around after braces. Some people don’t even know they’ve got wisdom teeth. If you’ve had all four removed and the teeth still moved significantly after braces, then that is really a mystery!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 12:47 am

Teeth may shift if the retainer is not worn consistently. At the end of the day, there is no way to permanently “set” the position of the teeth. If the teeth are naturally crooked, going without the retainer for long periods of time after completing the full course of braces will cause the teeth to move into their original position. To prevent this, keep the retainer on every night and you won’t need to worry about any shifts.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 1:33 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 07 Jan 2021 8:52 pm
That is usually the main culprit for crowding that moves teeth around after braces. Some people don’t even know they’ve got wisdom teeth. If you’ve had all four removed and the teeth still moved significantly after braces, then that is really a mystery!
Not that we need to solve mysteries here, but I mean I removed the wisdom teeth after (over 10 or 15 years after) I stopped using any braces.

Jamie_coconut

Post by Jamie_coconut » Wed, 28 Apr 2021 3:20 pm

I just took off my 3 years metal braces and to be honest, you really need to wear retainers every night diligently to ensure that your teeth don't shift. There was one time I didn't wear retainers a few days and I can feel my teeth feels weird. HAHAH but seriously, retainers will help to maintain your corrected form.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Apr 2021 4:13 pm

Jamie_coconut wrote:
Wed, 28 Apr 2021 3:20 pm
I just took off my 3 years metal braces and to be honest, you really need to wear retainers every night diligently to ensure that your teeth don't shift. There was one time I didn't wear retainers a few days and I can feel my teeth feels weird. HAHAH but seriously, retainers will help to maintain your corrected form.
You do need to wear your retainers consistently after having your braces removed or the teeth will begin to shift. If you do not wear them for a prolonged period of time, the shift can be so drastic that you may not be able to fit the retainers on when you do decide to wear them.