Singapore Expats

Car plate numbers

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
SG_mcdowell

Car plate numbers

Post by SG_mcdowell » Mon, 14 Dec 2020 2:48 pm

Hello Dear friends

my family and i have finally digest the car prices in Singapore and plan to get a small sedan for our small family. We visited the car showroom yesterday and was advised by the salesperson that we can bid a car plate number from the LTA website. I also did some searches online and found some independent seller / car dealers selling car plate numbers. Does anyone have any experience on bidding from LTA as compare to getting one from car dealer? Thank you in advance!

Mc.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Car plate numbers

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Dec 2020 3:13 pm

People here bid on car plate numbers because they believe certain numbers provide better luck and higher status (and other numbers, such as the dreaded 4, bring the opposite).

Even if you believe in this sort of thing, most people wait and see what plate number they get before bidding on a better number. If you don’t believe in this sort of thing, then it is all a meaningless waste of time and money.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 14 Dec 2020 9:16 pm

Car dealers would usually want to sell 'golden numbers' (ie: 888) at a high price. From LTA if you have a favourite number then you can bid at your preferred price, you'll get it if you are the highest bidder. If your preferred number is not a golden number, but ordinary numbers like 2748, then you might just get the number so probably no one else is bidding for this number.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:17 pm

They are called "vanity plates" for a reason...
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 4:56 pm

when u get it from the dealer you’d better be buying some “old money” or real vanity plates.

if you’re looking for just for a particular number (the english characters don’t matter to you) you’re probably better off bidding from LTA directly.

there’s hand wringing involved when using a dealer, no matter how trusted.

if you’re looking for old 1 or 2 character E or S plates (E, EA-EZ, S, SA-SW) then a dealer is probably gonna help you find something closer to what you have in mind.

but at those prices, you’re not gonna be asking on this forum.

so… bid fron LTA directly! SNK just got released ad a first series last week iirc. SNJ still on-going. i believe at the 4xxx range currently.

minimum cost is $1000 (+ $321 if you’re not putting it on an unregistered vehicle).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 7:43 pm

The last car I owned here, back when the COE system first started, had ST plates. The car also had a history here as well on the track back in the late 60's. But I got rid of both cars during the 6 month grace period after the COE started. Haven't owned one since.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers