Singapore Expats

PR approval 2021 chances

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
John1541

Re: PR approval 2021 chances

Post by John1541 » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 12:18 pm

Indian 36 years old male working in Sg since 2011. Started with 36k Annual salary back in 2011 and now 120k Annual with Bonus 150k. I worked hard for my career growth in sg. I am married for 10 years and having one baby boy who is 20 months old. My Wife staying in sg since 2012 and she was in India for 2 years during pregnancy and delivery time. Now all we are in sg. My Wife is 28 years old and she is not working now. I also donate to few NGOs on monthly. Average donations 1k per year. Donations my personnel interest and will continue even after got PR.

Could you evaluate my chances pls. Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 2:08 pm

50:50 but worth a try. Remember other races are not your problem. You are competing for the smallest singular ethnic race demographically with the largest number of applicants across all races combined. So you are competing with your own countrymen exclusively for approximately 2250 slots annually and a large percentage of those will be slurped up by those having family ties who are already PRs or SGCs. But you have duration, length of marriage, good income progression all in your favour for permanent addition to Singapore. Give it a shot.

Please do not make multiple posts as it just aggravates people when they see spamming. Your other two duplicate posts have been deleted.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

John1541

Post by John1541 » Sun, 06 Jun 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks for your response. And just to update you, i applied yesterday and this is 5th attempt.
Hope this time will approve 😊

gagahoof

Post by gagahoof » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:15 am

Hello everyone, just wanted to seek your thoughts on our profiles for our 1st PR application.

Me:
Singaporean Citizen, Malay
Education:
- MBA (University of Manchester)
- BA (University of Minnesota)
Salary: ~90K

Total years of work experience: ~7 years

Wife:
Race + Nationality: Chinese, Thai national
Education:
- BA (Chulalongkorn University)
Pass Type: LTVP with PLOC (Started in Mar 2021)

Living/working in Singapore: Recently moved to Singapore in Feb 2021, started working from May 2021.

Total years of work experience: ~6 years

Additional Info:

We got married in Sep 2020 in the UK, before deciding to relocate back to Singapore for good. Besides our full time job, my wife and I are also part of a Community Centre-led home baked business selling food to residents within our neighbourhood. We are applying for PR for my wife as we want to be based here and start a family in Singapore. This will be our first PR application.

Wanted to seek the group's thoughts on our profile :)

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:19 am

gagahoof wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:15 am
Hello everyone, just wanted to seek your thoughts on our profiles for our 1st PR application.

Me:
Singaporean Citizen, Malay
Education:
- BA (University of Minnesota)

Total years of work experience: ~7 years

Wife:
Race + Nationality: Chinese, Thai national
Education:
- BA (Chulalongkorn University)
Pass Type: LTVP with PLOC (Started in Mar 2021)

Living/working in Singapore: Recently moved to Singapore in Feb 2021, started working from May 2021.

Total years of work experience: ~6 years

Additional Info:

We got married in Sep 2020 in the UK, before deciding to relocate back to Singapore for good. Besides our full time job, my wife and I are also part of a Community Centre-led home baked business selling food to residents within our neighbourhood. We are applying for PR for my wife as we want to be based here and start a family in Singapore. This will be our first PR application.

Wanted to seek the group's thoughts on our profile :)
Should be OK if you apply after 1-1.5 years of her stay in SG

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 1:29 am

John1541 wrote:
Sun, 06 Jun 2021 8:31 pm
Thanks for your response. And just to update you, i applied yesterday and this is 5th attempt.
Hope this time will approve 😊
Best of luck!

Gyuunyuu

Post by Gyuunyuu » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 4:21 pm

Hi, curious to see if anyone has any guesses on my PR chances.

I’ve been here since Feb 2016. Applied for PR twice (rejected in May most recently). Debating trying one more time, perhaps in February for my 6 year anniversary.

US citizen
Female
33 years old
Caucasian
BA holder, 10 years working experience, soon to be 6 years in Singapore.
Not married, no kids
Salary about 220k (155 base)
Tax assessments- 5 or 6

I also purchased a condo here.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 7:08 pm

Gyuunyuu wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 4:21 pm
Hi, curious to see if anyone has any guesses on my PR chances.

I’ve been here since Feb 2016. Applied for PR twice (rejected in May most recently). Debating trying one more time, perhaps in February for my 6 year anniversary.

US citizen
Female
33 years old
Caucasian
BA holder, 10 years working experience, soon to be 6 years in Singapore.
Not married, no kids
Salary about 220k (155 base)
Tax assessments- 5 or 6

I also purchased a condo here.
What do you work as?

Try with low hopes. We are seeing some unexpected approvals recently. In normal situation your chance will be very low

Gyuunyuu

Post by Gyuunyuu » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 10:58 pm

I woke in tech, but specifically within HR/Recruitment so nothing too special.I figured Low but suppose all I can do is try and see- hoping the condo might help in my favor.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 10:26 am

Gyuunyuu wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 10:58 pm
I woke in tech, but specifically within HR/Recruitment so nothing too special.I figured Low but suppose all I can do is try and see- hoping the condo might help in my favor.
Not going to be easy.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 4:02 pm

Sadly, the condo won't help at all. All that does is show self enrichment as they know you will turn it for a tidy profit. Marry a Chinese Male. He'll get huge face, you will get PR and with a good pre-nupt you both can go about your business. :cool: :mrgreen:

However, if your boat floats the other way, you will always have a problem as it's probably already known by the government spies, if so. Then it's :oops!: :shit: as you already know how the government feels about that. But then again, maybe marrying as in the first scenario still might work, again with a good pre-nupt you both can still go about your business. :-k O:)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PartyLike-A-Russian
Regular
Regular

Post by PartyLike-A-Russian » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 9:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 4:02 pm
Sadly, the condo won't help at all. All that does is show self enrichment as they know you will turn it for a tidy profit
I wonder how buying a condo as a foreigner can be profitable eventually. The stamp duty is huge (18 or 20% as far as I remember). So it would take decades and get back the money by renting out. If we talk about reselling, the price must increase around 1.5 or 2 times (condo cost + stamp duty of 20% = 1.2 condo cost paid, plus renovation, property tax, management fees, other possible expenses).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 10:26 pm

The current property curbs haven't been in place all that long. A couple of years only. Covid has also dampened the market but property is still changing hands and nobody is losing any money yet. But some will eventually if Singapore loses it's luster in the world market. I'm not a property buff, but there are those here who are and as is the host of this forum.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 11:57 pm

PartyLike-A-Russian wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 9:13 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 4:02 pm
Sadly, the condo won't help at all. All that does is show self enrichment as they know you will turn it for a tidy profit
I wonder how buying a condo as a foreigner can be profitable eventually. The stamp duty is huge (18 or 20% as far as I remember). So it would take decades and get back the money by renting out. If we talk about reselling, the price must increase around 1.5 or 2 times (condo cost + stamp duty of 20% = 1.2 condo cost paid, plus renovation, property tax, management fees, other possible expenses).
ABSD is the problem. The first A = additional. These are part of the cooling measures to keep property prices from spiraling out of control and making an already expensive city unlivable.

Not everyone pays that. Singaporeans don’t pay any ABSD for their first property. Neither do a few lucky nationalities that are exempt (thanks to free trade agreements). From memory, it’s the Danish, Swiss, Kiwis and Americans… but better to check the fine print on the ABSD website to be sure. I believe SPRs get some concession, but not the full exemption.

All other foreigners really get the shaft - as you mentioned - so unless you are trying to launder some ill-gotten gains, it’s not going to make any financial sense to buy a property here as a foreigner.

The zero interest rates and the large amount of money being pumped into the economic system at the moment means the cooling measures are unlikely to be lifted anytime soon.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PartyLike-A-Russian
Regular
Regular

Post by PartyLike-A-Russian » Tue, 07 Sep 2021 9:12 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 11:57 pm
Neither do a few lucky nationalities that are exempt (thanks to free trade agreements).
Found https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Other- ... ts--FTAs-/

The USA is on the list.

Thanks for the answer, malcontent. But there is no answer to my question "Why is buying a condo perceived as an investment for your own profit?" Sms, maybe you can explain. You were the one who said it a few messages earlier.