Lab-grown cultured meat in Singapore

Share your favourite eating haunts!
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 10:00 am

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Lab-grown cultured meat in Singapore

Post by malcontent » Thu, 03 Dec 2020 1:09 am

I’ve always been wary of frankenfood in general. I always believe food should be as simple & natural as possible. For example, I haven’t used margarine in over 15 years... after reading up on how it’s made, I switched to real butter - yet another item that stores perfectly in a wine fridge here - not too hard or too soft.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Dec 2020 3:12 pm

I stopped eating all processed foods except for grated mixed cheeses for my morning omelette. All my foods are fresh foods since I went on my diet back in 2008 and lost 25 kg in 20 weeks but my weight gain is due to carbs which I take in moderation but it's still too much. I am a new Man! \:D/
Sadly, however, over the past 12 years I've managed to put on about half of that back on (but half of that gain has been during covid confinement and l.5 years of retirement).

Don't think I'll be switching to counterfeit eggs though. Singapore is starting to sound like China. Cardboard Pows, melamine in baby formula, etc, counterfeit eggs done by them 10 years ago or so.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 03 Dec 2020 8:28 pm

Regarding diet, I try to stick to a disciplined core regimen and portion control on everything else. Breakfast is whole rolled oats with brown sugar a minimum of 3 x per week. Lunch is usually a sandwich, wrap or noodles, and dinner is usually a small portion of meat & veg with a small starch item, maybe some
fruit or nuts for supper.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:13 am

When I am used to starch item, what's the best item to replace starch? I find it hard not to eat it, it keeps me full, and if I skip starch item, I would end up with a heavy supper late at night.

I also need to try to reduce eating processed foods...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 12 Dec 2020 12:31 am

You can get used to only meat + veg for dinner. When I was growing up, that was kind of the norm in my family. We got our grains mostly by eating cereal in the morning and bread for lunch. Everyone needs grains as part of a balanced diet, after all, it’s the base of the food pyramid. Pre-Covid, in our company canteen, I often requested no rice, which raised some eyebrows!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Dec 2020 5:33 pm

Actually, it should have never been at the base of the food pyramid. That was a money construct of the grain industries in the US many years ago to prop up grain prices. More recently the food pyramid has been revamped and the pyramid done away with by "MyPlate". It also makes more sense. I've been on my fruit/veg/protiens diet for the past 12 years. Sadly Corona doesn't help though. :-D

I haven' eaten any of the three white killer starches in the past 12 years. Rice, Potatoes or Noodles and white bread. Occasionally will eat a piece of wholemeal or 5 grain bread, but it's extremely rare, maybe two slices a year?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 12 Dec 2020 6:16 pm

Corona: barley malt, corn, hops, yeast, antioxidants (ascorbic acid), and propylene glycol alginate as a stabilizer. Yikes!

You’re right I had forgotten about “my plate” that came out 10 years ago. Now veg occupies the same space as grains, and they say at least half the grains should be whole.

They have loads of materials at -

https://www.choosemyplate.gov/

Not a single taxpayer dollar wasted here! :lol:

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jan 2021 12:35 pm

I’m not too concerned with the fact that it is “unnatural”. I like that it is a more sustainable option compared to farm harvested meat. As far as I know, the lab-grown meat is identical to that you would find on a farm. I’m excited to give it a try!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:17 pm

Educational fact, i did a lot of biological research involving growing cultured cells.

In order to grow these cells, they need to be bathed in a liquid soup (culture medium). This soup does not contain all the ingredients necessary for support cell culture growth...it required a magic ingredient - Foetal Calf serum (FCS).

Hopefully the whole cell culture technology has advanced far past from my days in the lab (11 years ago) and this cultured meat doesn’t use any FCS. If not, then the whole “sustainability” message is not quite true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more