Singapore Expats

Choosing the Right Doctor in SG

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
DeePSP

Choosing the Right Doctor in SG

Post by DeePSP » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 2:25 pm

I used to find doctor reviews from this local site, but they say they’re closing it down. Hello, do you all have any other ways to check which doctors are good or any other place to read reviews? I want to be very careful with my choices since it is for my child’s wellbeing. (For your information, my daughter is 2 Years Old).
Tks.

marie.claire

Re: Choosing the Right Doctor in SG

Post by marie.claire » Fri, 20 Nov 2020 9:14 am

Last time I went to this website called DoctorxDentist to find an ENT doctor, they have the review section!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 21 Nov 2020 12:48 pm

Would you consider yourself more of an Asian or Western expat? The reason I ask is because I am a Western expat married to an Asian expat, and we have VERY different opinions on what constitutes a good doctor.

For example, I value being able to speak freely and question the doctor’s advice, so that I understand better. I especially dislike being prescribed medicines or procedures that are unnecessary (a common phenomenon here).

On the other hand, my spouse prefers a doctor that has a lot of experience and who can just be trusted blindly... in other words, just follow without question whatever medicine or procedure as the doctor advises.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Wed, 25 Nov 2020 2:52 pm

For me I would prefer a doctor who put in effort and time to explain the cause of the illness, symptoms and future prevention rather than those who is rushing everything.

OneDoctors in Holland Village is good, not too crowded and open till late.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 25 Nov 2020 6:50 pm

For GP, I’ve been going to the International Medical Clinic (IMC) for over a decade, but I only go maybe once a year at most.

Before that I had been going to many local clinics and hospitals when I needed a GP, with mixed results at best. The biggest problem is they rush you through, make assumptions, prescribe you a bunch of meds (mostly unnecessary ones) and send you on your way.

Here is a classic example, I went to this local GP with a sore throat, this older lady doctor saw me and shined this dim light into my throat and instantly diagnosed me as having a throat infection, prescribed me antibiotics and other nonsense meds and sent me on my way.

Not satisfied with this diagnosis, I proceeded to the IMC. They used a proper light to look in my throat and spotted the problem right away - it was a canker sore (ulcer) which the proved using a long Q-tip (cotton bud). I asked them if I should be taking antibiotics for it, and they said of course not! In the end, the visit to IMC cost less, even though the consultation was more - because there was no mandatory bag of useless meds.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 30 Nov 2020 11:10 pm

My daughter has been going to Chang Clinic in Bukit Timah plaza for over 17 years, since she was barely a couple months old. The doctors are caring and great with kids, which I am sure is important since your child is still so young. From what I understand, the practice is kept within the family so the doctors are all very friendly and close with each other. This “family environment” creates a great sense of confort and warmth from the second you enter, which is so important especially when your child is already feeling unwell and uncomfortable.