Singapore Expats

Tax residency and working remotely, away from Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tax residency and working remotely, away from Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Mar 2021 3:11 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 08 Mar 2021 3:04 pm
Besides tax home, substantial presence is another important concept to avoid.

Substantial presence is based on day count; if an individual is present in the United States at least 31 days in the current year and the sum of 1) the days that individual is present in the United States during the current tax year, 2) one-third of the days that individual is present in the United States during the first preceding tax year, and 3) one-sixth of the days that individual is present in the United States during the second preceding tax year equals or exceeds 183, then that individual is substantially present in the United States.

Bottom line, if you want to spend as much time as possible in the US each without triggering, keeping it under 4 months each year should work.
Does living in Puetro Rico, US Virgin Island or other territories count as days present in the US for this test? IS this test similar to the test that the SSA will use to count 5 years presence?

Would even living in PR count as the 5 years for SS? I'm having trouble understand how I could use being Australian (but needing to be resident) to trigger SS access at ~62 would work with then wanting not be be in Australia.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood ... fe6bc71362
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Tax residency and working remotely, away from Singapore

Post by malcontent » Mon, 08 Mar 2021 3:51 pm

As far as I know, US presence for SS purposes includes any US state or territory, assuming you needed 5 years (I’m still convinced that citizens of Australia do not - not as good as Austria, but it is an “additional requirements country” with a US tax treaty). If you switched to a red passport, then for sure you would.

Interesting about taxes in PR, but it seems complicated, and the crime rate in PR is on the high side. I’ve also looked at Guam, they mirror the federal tax so that you pay the same tax but pay it to Guam.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr