Singapore Expats

PR Chance 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Chance 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:54 am

Yes, but you need to understand that the TFR in the 1980, while low, wasn't dangerously low. Singapore, since the change of the century has been in the bottom three countries with the lowest TFRs in the world and for the past 5 years or so, it's been the lowest. At 1.3 or lower (depending on the race generally speaking. Chinese have the lowest TFR at just under 1.0. Immigration is used to offset the deficit and obviously those who are married and have spouses of childbearing age are actually given bonus points towards that end. After all, without offspring, there will eventually be no military either. So it does make sense in the unique case of this city-state. You have to remember that there is absolutely no other similar place or country on the dirtball floating in space that has the unique constraints here. These constraints often call for measures that by a normal persons perception, are totally off the wall and out of the box. But they have to do what they have to do if the local population wont have the offspring necessary to keep driving the economy here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:07 pm

simple_guy wrote:
Wed, 14 Apr 2021 12:33 pm
Sometimes I see weird suggestions here, like marrying local, having kids early (within 1st -2nd year of marriage) and that’s too for getting just PR which is very uncertain. I wonder who are going to do this only for the purpose of getting PR.
What's weird about marrying a local? No one is suggesting a marriage of convenience. But the hard truth is that those of us who happen to be in stable marriages with locals, have a leg up when it comes to immigration simply because it's how the gahmen judges integration.

simple_guy
Regular
Regular

Post by simple_guy » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:28 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:07 pm
simple_guy wrote:
Sometimes I see weird suggestions here, like marrying local, having kids early (within 1st -2nd year of marriage) and that’s too for getting just PR which is very uncertain. I wonder who are going to do this only for the purpose of getting PR.
What's weird about marrying a local? No one is suggesting a marriage of convenience. But the hard truth is that those of us who happen to be in stable marriages with locals, have a leg up when it comes to immigration simply because it's how the gahmen judges integration.
The weird is not about marrying a local. The weird is the suggestion, which seems to be for convenience. I don't think that's the only way to integrate!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:33 pm

simple_guy wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:28 pm
smoulder wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:07 pm
simple_guy wrote:
The weird is not about marrying a local. The weird is the suggestion, which seems to be for convenience. I don't think that's the only way to integrate!
Well nobody asked you to marry for convenience. Because that too would be caught by the gahmen these days. I think it's been pointed out.

Also whatever you or I think is integration doesn't mean anything. What matters is what the gahmen thinks. That's the hard truth. Ask yourself what you have done to integrate. I know there are a couple of groups (my own group included) who imagine that generally chatting with some locals is enough to integrate. However that's not concrete enough in anyone's book. When the time comes, you'll see them huddled together eating lunch and not mixing around. Occasionally, they might date a local for fun but get married to their own. These are obvious things that people have caught on here, hence my guess is they look for something more concrete instead.
Last edited by smoulder on Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simple_guy
Regular
Regular

Post by simple_guy » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:52 pm

I think, even if it is not caught by gahmen, it's not good personally as well. Marriage is an important decision of life and individual choice, as well as compatibility, should matter most. Of course, that can be found in locals too, which many of our honorable members here already found and might be enjoying PR status as well :)!

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Mon, 19 Apr 2021 9:30 am

Hi guys thanks for all your help here.
Just got a result as REJECTED today morning.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Apr 2021 12:59 pm

Bummer, truthhurts1, but keep the faith. IF you really want it, it's been shown on this forum a number of times, that often persistence and patience wins out in the end. While it's not a common everyday thing, There have been even instances of 5 & 6 applications before success. It's up to you, but remember, don't send in multiple applications unless you have substantial changes to your application profile., e.g, education, position, salary, marital status, children, etc.
sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers