Singapore Expats

PR approval chance in 2021

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
david85

Re: PR approval chance in 2021

Post by david85 » Thu, 05 Nov 2020 10:21 pm

the observer wrote:
Thu, 05 Nov 2020 9:30 pm
Let me dumb it down for you. Integration is becoming one of us.

You can start by learning Mandarin and Malay and start talking in Hokkien with kopitiam uncles like SMS. And slowly expanding your circle of friends to those whom are not the from the same Indian diaspora like you.

If you think giving a few hundred bucks to charity would get you your PR, there would have been far more approvals to date.

Think of it as trying to win social acceptance.
Fwiw, msian folks integrate the easiest, mainly due to similarities in the language (dialects and malay) and culture.
The question is: assuming one could do as what you suggested above, how would he demonstrate his integration achievement to the gahmen on the PR application?

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Thu, 05 Nov 2020 10:33 pm

Ask this bloke how he got noticed.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/c ... t-12280904

“ This story by CNA Insider was done in collaboration with Gov.sg.”

david85

Post by david85 » Thu, 05 Nov 2020 11:00 pm

the observer wrote:
Thu, 05 Nov 2020 10:33 pm
Ask this bloke how he got noticed.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/c ... t-12280904

“ This story by CNA Insider was done in collaboration with Gov.sg.”
Haha then the next question is: how to get CNA write a similar article about you?

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Thu, 05 Nov 2020 11:10 pm

:-k

mshang852

Post by mshang852 » Sun, 03 Jan 2021 11:25 am

Hi All,

My ultimate goal is to become a SG PR and I have recently been offered the chance to move with my current company to Singapore. I am looking to apply for PR after 2 years of working with the company.

Nationality/ Ethnicity: Chinese (HK / US Dual-Citizen) (I am also of Malaysian-Chinese heritage (Parents and grandparents on both sides were born and raised in Malaysia - is there any way I can prove this?)
Age/ Gender: 25 year old male
Education: Bachelor of Arts in History from top 10 US University
Employment: I will be offered an EP (base salary 9k SGD a month) at a top European bank (Equities Sales)

What are my chances of approval if I apply with 2 years work experience in SG?

Should I only apply my EP / PR using HK citizenship or do I need to declare both? However, the gov is aware I have a US citizenship because I have purchased a condo using US citizen for tax reasons and have applied with a study pass as I was an exchange student to NUS. Will having US citizenship hurt me? Is there anything I can do to improve my future PR application?

Thank you for your advice.

Lostinthedark

Post by Lostinthedark » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 1:37 pm

Hi Forum Experts and Members,

Wishing you a great 2021!

Hope to seek some feedback on my husband’s PR application approval chance, if I may.

Wife (PR Application’s Sponsor)
1. Singapore Citizen (New Citizen in 2020), previously Chinese Indonesian. Was PR for 14 years.
2. 37 years Old.
3. Director at FMCG company, basic salary 160K Per Annum.
4. Degree holder.

Husband (PR applicant)
1. Filipino, LTVP for past 5 years. Previously on S pass. Has been working in Singapore for 14 years. No break except a 3 months break 5 years ago.
2. 40 years old.
3. Chef, basic salary 45K per annum.
4. Diploma holder.

We have a Singapore citizen son (newborn) and have been married for 10 years (ROM in Singapore).

My husband’s applications had been rejected many times:
a. Applied by his own merit: 2x rejection back in 2008 - 2010.
b. Applied under my sponsorship: 5-6x rejection throughout 2010 till 2020 (the last rejection was March 2020 before I was a citizen and new baby).
The previous rejection letter stated your husband can continue to stay in Singapore with his valid pass, no invitation to reapply.

We are thinking to reapply given with my change of citizenship and a baby boy this month. However given he was rejected so many times, lower salary and his nationality, I am not confident of his chance.

Especially in mid this year, he is likely to change to part time work arrangement to take care of our son. Will this impact our application?

My husband is well integrated in community, he can speak Malay fluently and Mandarin (basic), has many local friends but these are not something we could prove in paper? Due to his very long work hour and most times on weekends and evening, he is unable to fully join community program or volunteering.

Thank you for your view and feedback.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 1:46 pm

I would definitely give it another go after March 2021 (his employment arrangement may hamper but not too sure) primarily because of your citizenship change and giving birth to a male Singaporean child. The object, of course, is to try to ensure the viability of the son doing NS later. If they don't, in theory it could drive the anchor spouse (you) and child to migrate to another country (Indo or the 'peens). Go for it. Maybe persistence and the major commitment you have made (SGC for you & son) will be enough to turn the tide. Good Luck
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lostinthedark

Post by Lostinthedark » Mon, 04 Jan 2021 2:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 04 Jan 2021 1:46 pm
I would definitely give it another go after March 2021 (his employment arrangement may hamper but not too sure) primarily because of your citizenship change and giving birth to a male Singaporean child. The object, of course, is to try to ensure the viability of the son doing NS later. If they don't, in theory it could drive the anchor spouse (you) and child to migrate to another country (Indo or the 'peens). Go for it. Maybe persistence and the major commitment you have made (SGC for you & son) will be enough to turn the tide. Good Luck
Thank you for your reply! Really appreciate it. We love Singapore and would love to sink our root here for generations to come. We will try again in March and pray for the best.

fongginthig

Post by fongginthig » Fri, 12 Feb 2021 11:06 am

Please comment on the chances :)

My Profile:
Job: Data Engineering at a decacorn startup
Unmarried with no children
EP holder
Nationality: Indian
Length of stay in Singapore: 3.5 years
Working in Singapore: 3.5 yrs
Basic salary: S$120k+
Education: Masters in Computer science from a top 5 institutes in India.

Jeecs02

Post by Jeecs02 » Sat, 17 Apr 2021 10:02 am

Hi,
Good day everyone,
I submitted my PR application on Oct 2020 and currently still pending. I started work in SG as web marketing executive on June 2019 and changed to Hotel Mgmt trainee on Sept 2019. No family member is SPR or Singaporean.

May i know my chances of getting PR?
Can i change job to a slightly higher salary but from EP to SP? Will it affect my chance of getting approve?

My details:
Race : Malaysian Chinese
Marital Status : Single
Religion : Buddhist
Education : Degree
Current Field of Work : Hospitality
Length of stay : 1 year 11month
Income tax assessment: No filling this year because auto-inclusion scheme (AIS)
Salary : Basic 30k++
Pass : EP

Your input on my post will be greatly appreciated. Thank you🙏🏻

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Apr 2021 11:06 am

AIS doesn't mean no filing, it just means your employer submitted your IR8A automatically to IRAS, if you have a tax bill it will be sent to you later this year IF you have tax liability. Based on your salary you don't but you will have had 2 assessments (partial years for 2019 and full year assessment for 2020) Based on your Basic Salary, you would not have any tax liability (There is a big difference between Tax Assessment and owing taxes.

That out of the way, You can apply but while you have the bonus of being M'sian Chinese, your salary is barely enough to keep your EP. Personally, if you want to gamble, go ahead. You have an ethnic advantage that may see you through, but if it were me, I'd wait another year. Changing to an S pass will not hurt you and having a higher salary definitely will help. You have the degree and ethnicity on the positive.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Sat, 17 Apr 2021 6:15 pm

Sat, 17 Apr 2021 11:06 am
AIS doesn't mean no filing, it just means your employer submitted your IR8A automatically to IRAS, if you have a tax bill it will be sent to you later this year IF you have tax liability. Based on your salary you don't but you will have had 2 assessments (partial years for 2019 and full year assessment for 2020) Based on your Basic Salary, you would not have any tax liability (There is a big difference between Tax Assessment and owing taxes.

That out of the way, You can apply but while you have the bonus of being M'sian Chinese, your salary is barely enough to keep your EP. Personally, if you want to gamble, go ahead. You have an ethnic advantage that may see you through, but if it were me, I'd wait another year. Changing to an S pass will not hurt you and having a higher salary definitely will help. You have the degree and ethnicity on the positive.

Hey bro I know a friend with this similar profile getting a PR very recently, I was very happy for him coz he was in real problem with his company and wanted to change his job desperately but was held up due to his EP.
Again the ethnic quota!

Jeecs02

Post by Jeecs02 » Sun, 18 Apr 2021 8:19 am

Sat, 17 Apr 2021 11:06 am

Thank you for the information and suggestion :)

Jeecs02

Post by Jeecs02 » Sun, 18 Apr 2021 8:25 am

truthhurts1 wrote:
Sat, 17 Apr 2021 6:15 pm
Hey bro I know a friend with this similar profile getting a PR very recently, I was very happy for him coz he was in real problem with his company and wanted to change his job desperately but was held up due to his EP.
Again the ethnic quota!
Thanks for sharing bro! :)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 19 Apr 2021 10:30 am

Lostinthedark wrote:
Mon, 04 Jan 2021 1:37 pm
Hi Forum Experts and Members,

Wishing you a great 2021!

Hope to seek some feedback on my husband’s PR application approval chance, if I may.

Wife (PR Application’s Sponsor)
1. Singapore Citizen (New Citizen in 2020), previously Chinese Indonesian. Was PR for 14 years.
2. 37 years Old.
3. Director at FMCG company, basic salary 160K Per Annum.
4. Degree holder.

Husband (PR applicant)
1. Filipino, LTVP for past 5 years. Previously on S pass. Has been working in Singapore for 14 years. No break except a 3 months break 5 years ago.
2. 40 years old.
3. Chef, basic salary 45K per annum.
4. Diploma holder.

We have a Singapore citizen son (newborn) and have been married for 10 years (ROM in Singapore).

My husband’s applications had been rejected many times:
a. Applied by his own merit: 2x rejection back in 2008 - 2010.
b. Applied under my sponsorship: 5-6x rejection throughout 2010 till 2020 (the last rejection was March 2020 before I was a citizen and new baby).
The previous rejection letter stated your husband can continue to stay in Singapore with his valid pass, no invitation to reapply.

We are thinking to reapply given with my change of citizenship and a baby boy this month. However given he was rejected so many times, lower salary and his nationality, I am not confident of his chance.

Especially in mid this year, he is likely to change to part time work arrangement to take care of our son. Will this impact our application?

My husband is well integrated in community, he can speak Malay fluently and Mandarin (basic), has many local friends but these are not something we could prove in paper? Due to his very long work hour and most times on weekends and evening, he is unable to fully join community program or volunteering.

Thank you for your view and feedback.
Your persistence is commendable, keep trying!