Singapore Expats

Big retailers cannot be complacent

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Big retailers cannot be complacent

Post by abbby » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 9:05 am

Not even Robinsons who has been operating for more than 160 years. I think they have been killed by online competition where most of us already can get what we need from clothing to electronics, there's no longer much a need to buy at the physical stores. And online stores can also match value like discounts.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... n-13431114
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Big retailers cannot be complacent

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:01 am

Actually they failed to pivot to new tastes and stayed in extremely expensive real estate at the same time. Couple that to no marketing or promotion that I can recall seeing for a decade and the inevitable happens. The last time I was in a Robinsons was probably 15 years ago. No great loss.

They won't be the last retailer to fall on the sword of expensive real estate and declining sales.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 6:27 pm

Yes, I think the rental must have killed them..and lack on online shopping presence as well. Many do not sell their goods online and look at Metro's website, it looks half dead with only a few products on sale..not sure why only a few pathetic products.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 9:33 am

They only opened a website in 2016! That's barely 4 years ago! When you're this blinkered, really, you deserve to go the way of the horse and carriage.

Seriously, how do you miss the online sales wave for nearly 2 decades? They had everything already in place. All they needed to complete their infrastructure was a back end.

I can't help but think of the countless virtual platform providers' advances Robinson's management imperiously waved off, thinking they were untouchable.

From once posh warehouse to just another smelly road kill on the virtual highway.

Next: banks.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 10:27 am

An interesting aspect of Robinson's is that it was a 'tent making' initiative by a Christian Missionary. I never realized that and now I understand why it's folded. A very interesting legacy.

https://saltandlight.sg/news/robinsons- ... -than-one/
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:03 pm

Could be they got to some extent mislead by the Singapore market specifics. While in Europe and US the online shopping industry was in a full bloom already before 2010 in Singapore it even didn't really start to pick up at that time. People still preferred to go to the physical shops to touch the things before buying. I myself actually preferred that - with almost non-existent consumer protecting laws you hardly had any practical means to address potential issues, like receiving used or defective goods or having substantial delays in delivery.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 1:36 pm

That's quite true and likely that was a factor in their decision, x9200.

stanley81ng

Post by stanley81ng » Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:18 am

the only constant is change.

all companies need to think a step ahead of themselves to survive.

even in online retail, there are many small players around that try to get their market share through price competition.

in conclusion, every business is not easy and need to constantly rethink their strategy to stay on top of competition.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 1:04 am

It’s really unfortunate. I miss going to the department stores like Robinsons and BHG with my family on weekends. Now, I do almost all my shopping online because most of these stores have closed for good. While I do appreciate the convenience, the experience is rather impersonal and I miss getting to try out products before buying and interacting with others.