Singapore Expats Forum

EP is the new PR

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:50 am
WD40, your post above is exactly why Indians are having such a hard time gaining PR here. Assimilation is part of the game. This operating in a virtual commune and not integrating with the local population is a keystone of the immigration policy. Don't you think that ICA's field officers check out your habits here as well as the information you list on your application? I think I now possibly know why you have been consistently rejected over the years. Your actions speak louder than words.
It is not a deliberate thing to not integrate. Like I said, we tried. We applied for local school for my daughter and we didnt get a seat. There are enough local schools out there, but the authorities prefer to close them rather than giving the seats to foreigners. They prefer not to have more than 5% foreigners in any local school. They would rather have majority of foreigner kids go to International Schools. So I think you are giving too much weight to this integration thing.

The PR application form has nothing in it to prove integration and not everybody comes to forums like me for the authorities to know whether people are integrating or not. Basically, they have a checkbox criteria, you either meet them or you dont. There is no way to change that.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:46 am

the observer wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 5:47 pm
In honesty, its a ubiquitous profile of a white collar bloke in sg, especially those in banking and tech. Nothing to shout about whilst still residing here in sg.

If OP had gotten a citizenship, education fees would have been $16 a month. And instead of renting, it would have been for paying down the mortgage. A must would be the OCI card so that he could retire in India if he chooses to when he’s had enough.

I’d think the latter proposition would have been more desirable.
Ofcourse, it would have been desirable to get PR and citizenship. But that is now a hypothetical thing and since I didnt get it, there is no point comparing that scenario. My point is, even not getting PR, is not such a bad thing, if you made good use of your time here.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 1:40 pm

You always were my fav board pal, WD.

O:)

BigginHill
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 2:30 pm

Here's the "assimilation" distribution key:
bar_pic.png
TFR.JPG

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 4:16 pm

Even though you did not get PR, you made good use of your time in SG, WD40.

malcontent
Regular
Regular

Post by malcontent » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 9:29 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:46 am
Ofcourse, it would have been desirable to get PR and citizenship. But that is now a hypothetical thing and since I didnt get it, there is no point comparing that scenario. My point is, even not getting PR, is not such a bad thing, if you made good use of your time here.
I think continuing to reapply after rejection(s) could also be an indicator to them of how dedicated you are to sinking roots here, so if you are really serious about it, keep after it.

malcontent
Regular
Regular

Post by malcontent » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 9:35 pm

I wonder how they count the new hyphenated races... is Chinese-Something counted as Chinese, or all hyphenated goes to Others?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 10:58 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 03 Nov 2020 9:35 pm
I wonder how they count the new hyphenated races... is Chinese-Something counted as Chinese, or all hyphenated goes to Others?
I think it is the former. If you are a mixed race, you need to choose one dominant race and that will decide the category.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 1

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 11:21 pm

I'm not sure, but I think i read something where the first listed race in a hyphenated surname is considered the dominant one. Or that the Father's Race would be listed first with the mother's following. Can't remember were I read it so please don't take it as the gospel.