Singapore Expats

Is gmail safe?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Is gmail safe?

Post by abbby » Mon, 26 Oct 2020 10:30 am

I generally receive most emails on my gmail, but recently there was an email from gmail saying someone in Japan tried to log in and gmail blocked it from accessing my email.

Can I know is gmail generally safe that gmail will block out unfamiliar IPs?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

DeepBlue80

Re: Is gmail safe?

Post by DeepBlue80 » Mon, 26 Oct 2020 11:05 am

setup 2 step authentication using google authenticator ...

makes it safer ...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 28 Oct 2020 3:57 pm

and use a strong password. Better still, get a password manager and use generated passwords. Bitwarden is an example of a good manager and it's free.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 28 Oct 2020 4:10 pm

Great idea for bitwarden...will give it a try..how frightening should emails be compromised..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

shunkwugga

Post by shunkwugga » Thu, 29 Oct 2020 12:33 am

Gmail won't block an IP unless its a known malicious one, and maybe not even then. That said, the login was probably either a rando script parsing an email/password dump, or it was someone who just got their own email wrong and typed yours instead. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

That said, check here- https://haveibeenpwned.com/ put in your email address and it tells you if that email address is involved in a known breach, and what info was released. Totally free, no BS. It's used by cyber security experts and companies around the globe. Good to check every few months or so IMO.
Who is this 'General Failure' and why is he reading my hard drive?