Long Phung at Joo Chiat.

https://g.co/kgs/87xEyc

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Vietnamese food

Post by TropicalExpat » Tue, 27 Oct 2020 5:50 pm

I have enjoyed Pho-losophy, which is a bit out of the way at Asia Square (if it's even open!)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 27 Oct 2020 6:36 pm

I second Long Phung, it is one of the most authentic Vietnamese on the island.

In a pinch, if you want something more convenient, you can try Nam Nam which has some ok dishes, but manage your expectations.

It is ironic that you can find better and more authentic Vietnamese in the USA. Same goes for dim sum, at least the ones I’ve been to in Chicago/LA/SF can beat most dim sum here!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Tue, 27 Oct 2020 7:49 pm

Long Phung, be prepared to Q and wait.

Dim sum, being Cantonese, is best eaten at HK eateries such as Imperial Treasure. I like the Orchard ION outlet best.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 27 Oct 2020 8:00 pm

When I went to Long Phung (pre-Covid), I went on the weekend but always arrived early, around 5-5:30pm to beat the queue... by 6pm at least a dozen ppl outside waiting for a table.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

lisa A

Post by lisa A » Sun, 01 Nov 2020 10:04 am

There is one authenice and inexpensive Viet eatery at Grandlink Sq level one. worth a visit if happen to be around that area.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 11 Dec 2020 11:01 pm

Can’t give a recommendation on where to go, but I can tell you where not to go. Whatever you do, don’t visit Nam Nam noodle bar. They are a Vietnamese chain selling pho noodles, banh mi, and spring rolls, among other foods. Over the many times I’ve visited, I’ve found their food to be cold, and inauthentic, definitely overpriced and overrated for the long wait times.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 11 Dec 2020 11:49 pm

I went to Nam Nam a couple of weeks ago and they have really gone downhill. They were never very authentic, but now it’s almost a joke. We can now cross that one off the list.

The one on the outside of GrandLink Square is called Little Vietnam. I’ve been there dozens of times. That would actually be my second choice after Long Phoong. I’d especially recommend their pork chop dishes, either with the com (rice) or bun (noodle). Prices seem cheap, but dishes there are small.