Singapore Expats

Are Grab or taxi more used in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Are Grab or taxi more used in Singapore?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 29 Jun 2021 3:20 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:44 am
ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Mon, 28 Jun 2021 1:34 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:25 pm
I definitely use grab more. The pricing is typically cheaper than flying down a taxi off the street and it’s nice to know the exact cost before booking rather than having to guess how much the trip will cost at the end of the ride.
I'm using taxis first and grab as a back up only if I can't get a taxi or need a bigger ride with more space, grab6 then.

You can book taxis exactly the same way on comfort, the app was there already before grab and Uber made it in Singapore, initially there was no fixed price, but nowadays it's often cheaper than grab. Depending on peaks etc.
Really? My understanding was that Grab is generally much cheaper than taxi companies.
Grab has a bigger variation of the fixed prices depending on the time and day. But comfort is quite often 10-15% cheaper on the app, and especially in high peak times it doesn't go up as fast. This is of course the fixed price booking on the app. during high peaks running meter is actually almost always cheaper, it's just that many people who started using grab/uber never even used the comfort's own app.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 29 Jun 2021 8:31 pm

Tue, 29 Jun 2021 3:20 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 28 Jun 2021 1:34 pm

I'm using taxis first and grab as a back up only if I can't get a taxi or need a bigger ride with more space, grab6 then.

You can book taxis exactly the same way on comfort, the app was there already before grab and Uber made it in Singapore, initially there was no fixed price, but nowadays it's often cheaper than grab. Depending on peaks etc.
Really? My understanding was that Grab is generally much cheaper than taxi companies.
Grab has a bigger variation of the fixed prices depending on the time and day. But comfort is quite often 10-15% cheaper on the app, and especially in high peak times it doesn't go up as fast. This is of course the fixed price booking on the app. during high peaks running meter is actually almost always cheaper, it's just that many people who started using grab/uber never even used the comfort's own app.
True, I didn’t even know comfort had a an app, I thought they still were flag down/phone call only. Another reason I use grab is to earn points from every transaction (points can be used to redeem vouchers).

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:20 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 29 Jun 2021 8:31 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

True, I didn’t even know comfort had a an app, I thought they still were flag down/phone call only. Another reason I use grab is to earn points from every transaction (points can be used to redeem vouchers).
Same here. I have those grab physical cards as well so I tap that to buy groceries and pretty much anywhere I can. More points. Plus it's being topped up using a uob one card which gives me decent cash back.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Jun 2021 3:14 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:20 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 29 Jun 2021 8:31 pm

Same here. I have those grab physical cards as well so I tap that to buy groceries and pretty much anywhere I can. More points. Plus it's being topped up using a uob one card which gives me decent cash back.
Same here! I pay with Grab Pay, and top up with my UOB one card, I get 3% cashback at most grocery stores so that’s nice. I don’t use the physical card though, I pay in-app.