Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by the observer » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 8:46 am

Just some quick lookup via data.gov.sg.

The Indian PR stock is around 180k. [ard 440k Indian residents- ard 260k Indian citizens].
You can make a rough guess, how many of the 180k would be applying for citizenship.
My rough guesstimate is about be 2-3k of citizenships granted to Indians per year.
[20k new citizens per year, with a view to keep the Indian racial composition at around 8%]

In a year like this where there would be more applicants, you can just do a Crude calculation of the % of approvals. Still a wild guess, albeit with some methodology to it.

My take, an optimistic scenario is about 5k/50k,[applicants from the PR stock applying] around 10%
A somewhat downbeat scenario is 3k/100k, around 3%.
Unless you'd think the entire 180k PR stock will all apply for citizenships.

https://data.gov.sg/dataset/resident-po ... 5e4107ae84

https://data.gov.sg/dataset/singapore-c ... c5910ffff6

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8229
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:46 am

Observer - the local Indian TFR ratio is quite high and the last stats report shows that the gahmen is actually reducing the Indian ratio slightly (0.1%).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8229
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:11 pm

Here's an article showing the sort of people "North Indians" are: https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/husb ... 1ec0ed5066

Now OP do you see how f....g stupid and racist and bigoted you sounded?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Jayman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by Jayman » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 12:06 am

Hello,

I joined this forum because I was told by a local that it's a useful one for expats.

I'm amazed that the moderators here seem to be judgmental, racist clowns.

I know that Indians aren't particularly well-liked by large sections of Singaporean society, and yes, often with good reason, but I didn't expect to find the sort of casual racism I've seen here against Indians with no good reason.

Take this thread. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question, and PNGMK, who's supposed to be a moderator, calls him a tosser straight off, on the strength of one message. What sort of forum is this?

And you, SundayMorningStaple, I've seen a lot of your posts, because I've been reading posts on this forum for some time. And I don't care if you're married to an Indian or have an Indian son-in-law. You're a cowardly keyboard warrior, and probably the sort of bloke who used to bully kids five or more years younger at school.

Yes, I know some Indians behave badly, and I've had bad experiences with some of them too, but I've met unpleasant and obnoxious Americans and Australians and Chinese and various other nationalities too. That's no reason to tar all Indians with the same brush. There are over a billion of them. And no reason to assume that every Indian who posts here is out to game the system because he's Indian.

I wouldn't have been surprised by a few racist members here who felt it necessary to have a go at every Indian who posts here, the world being what it is, but I see the moderators are ganging up together to demean almost every Indian who posts here. What's wrong with you people?
Last edited by Jayman on Sun, 04 Apr 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jayman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by Jayman » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 12:07 am

.

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by the observer » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 2:04 am

Maybe it’s because they’ve integrated. :shock:

The harsh truth is that the public wave of discontent and antagonism gained momentum after 2016. Got pretty intense last year as a matter of fact, the most, to my recollection.

Can’t pinpoint the exact trigger, but quiet whispers have occasionally turned into shouts. I’m afraid this looks likely to persist and will be a sore point in the next election.

MOCHS
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 8:43 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 11:39 am

Mate, mods are volunteers and are not paid to do this. They are not obligated to spoon feed and be nice to everyone. If one is demanding, rude, and does not read the rules, why should they reciprocate with sunshine and rainbows? They do not owe you or anyone a living. The vast archives of more than 10 years are meant to be searched because almost all the questions have been answered before. That’s how old school forums work, you search and if you really cannot find an answer, then you make a post.

Anyway, the door is always open, you can find other resources elsewhere. No need to stay and create grief for yourself.

Jayman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by Jayman » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 3:07 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sun, 04 Apr 2021 11:39 am
If one is demanding, rude, and does not read the rules
The OP was neither demanding nor rude.

I didn't post after reading just this one thread. I've spent some time reading posts, and this is a recurring feature - a question from an Indian seems to raise mod hackles. Granted the mods aren't obliged to spoon-feed anyone, but a polite question deserves a polite answer.
MOCHS wrote:
Sun, 04 Apr 2021 11:39 am
Anyway, the door is always open, you can find other resources elsewhere. No need to stay and create grief for yourself.
Right. If you want to use this forum, you have to tolerate us. Got it, thanks.

lot286
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:56 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by lot286 » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 4:15 pm

What are you talking about? What racism? Are you referring to the responses made by to this 'thread'? --> as in the backlash of the community against OP's reference of being a 'North Indian'?

Are you insinuating that these responses are made by non-Indians? What made you say that?
Why would a non-indian care about this topic?

Jayman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by Jayman » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 6:32 pm

I'm talking about both this thread in specific and the attitude of some of the moderators towards Indians on this forum in general.

Both the mods I named are westerners by origin. They've said so on other threads. And have cut loose at other Indians too, not just the one who started this thread.

So much for your "Why would a non-Indian be interested?"

mystic_river
Regular
Regular
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by mystic_river » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 10:24 pm

Ah, I remember this thread.

To be fair, I actually understood what the OP was trying to get at and I think the flak he got from the two mods was unwarranted.

Dude probably thought he should state he is North Indian lest it actually mattered (like how it matters if one were to say they are “Indonesian Chinese” as opposed to just “Indonesian”).

Didn’t help that he listed it as his nationality and not ethnicity but yeah it didn’t come across to me as “racist” by any means

Jayman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by Jayman » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 11:44 pm

mystic_river wrote:
Sun, 04 Apr 2021 10:24 pm
Dude probably thought he should state he is North Indian lest it actually mattered (like how it matters if one were to say they are “Indonesian Chinese” as opposed to just “Indonesian”
What other explanation fits? He's Indian, English isn't his native language. I'd cut him some slack for not understanding what nationality means.

I know Indians advertise themselves as being fluent English speakers, but they aren't really. At the best, they have a good working knowledge of the language, with a few exceptions who speak it really well.

So you have to take that into account - that they aren't native English speakers.
mystic_river wrote:
Sun, 04 Apr 2021 10:24 pm
Didn’t help that he listed it as his nationality and not ethnicity but yeah it didn’t come across to me as “racist” by any means
Maybe you haven't read other posts by those two gentlemen then. They're either racists, or revelling in the power they have as moderators, or both.

Jayman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by Jayman » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:22 am

I see I have got two likes for my first post, from @smoulder and @juggernaut. Would you two like to contribute, or do you want me to fight (for you and your fellow Indians) by myself?

Indians have a bad rep already for being weaklings - as much as I don't like racist posts against you guys, I have to admit this. Don't make it worse by just staying silent when someone tries and defends you guys.

I don't have to do this, you know. I'm doing it because people like PNG whatever and SundayMorningBreakfast offend my sensibilities, but I won't keep doing it forever. Show some guts, you two (and other Indians).

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by smoulder » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:19 am

Jayman wrote:
Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:22 am
I see I have got two likes for my first post, from @smoulder and @juggernaut. Would you two like to contribute, or do you want me to fight (for you and your fellow Indians) by myself?

Indians have a bad rep already for being weaklings - as much as I don't like racist posts against you guys, I have to admit this. Don't make it worse by just staying silent when someone tries and defends you guys.

I don't have to do this, you know. I'm doing it because people like PNG whatever and SundayMorningBreakfast offend my sensibilities, but I won't keep doing it forever. Show some guts, you two (and other Indians).
Agreed with your posts. You do make some valid points. I have noticed that Indians are fair game for racist jibes /stereotypes on this forum and I don't quite recall the same treatment meted out to other races/ethnicities. Occasionally it's brought on because of a rude Indian poster. But sometimes it's not. Like in this post which wasn't originally rude until it was met with a rude response.

My personal take is that both these gentlemen in question do give out some good advice and occasionally they have a moment of madness like here in this thread. Doesn't matter whether they are married to people of Indian origin /have some other connections with Indians. Fact is that what was said was pretty obnoxious.

Having said that, the reason I'm avoiding commenting and pointing it out is simply because I no longer see the benefits of "fighting" online or proving that Indians are not "weaklings". At least that's my own viewpoint. Certainly not going to discourage you if you choose to. The only reason I am responding here is because you asked specifically.

To the point that that the original poster seemed to be trying to make. There are occasionally some anecdotes right here in the forums about how certain ethnicities within the larger Indian bucket are viewed differently from the perspective of the ICA. I guess this is the reason why he mentioned north indian, albeit under nationality. Like you said - just a matter of fluency of English. And the thread went down the toilet from there.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 1

Re: Citizenship application Outcome standing for over 2 years

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:46 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:19 am
Jayman wrote:
Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:22 am
I see I have got two likes for my first post, from @smoulder and @juggernaut. Would you two like to contribute, or do you want me to fight (for you and your fellow Indians) by myself?

Indians have a bad rep already for being weaklings - as much as I don't like racist posts against you guys, I have to admit this. Don't make it worse by just staying silent when someone tries and defends you guys.

I don't have to do this, you know. I'm doing it because people like PNG whatever and SundayMorningBreakfast offend my sensibilities, but I won't keep doing it forever. Show some guts, you two (and other Indians).
Agreed with your posts. You do make some valid points. I have noticed that Indians are fair game for racist jibes /stereotypes on this forum and I don't quite recall the same treatment meted out to other races/ethnicities. Occasionally it's brought on because of a rude Indian poster. But sometimes it's not. Like in this post which wasn't originally rude until it was met with a rude response.

My personal take is that both these gentlemen in question do give out some good advice and occasionally they have a moment of madness like here in this thread. Doesn't matter whether they are married to people of Indian origin /have some other connections with Indians. Fact is that what was said was pretty obnoxious.

Having said that, the reason I'm avoiding commenting and pointing it out is simply because I no longer see the benefits of "fighting" online or proving that Indians are not "weaklings". At least that's my own viewpoint. Certainly not going to discourage you if you choose to. The only reason I am responding here is because you asked specifically.

To the point that that the original poster seemed to be trying to make. There are occasionally some anecdotes right here in the forums about how certain ethnicities within the larger Indian bucket are viewed differently from the perspective of the ICA. I guess this is the reason why he mentioned north indian, albeit under nationality. Like you said - just a matter of fluency of English. And the thread went down the toilet from there.
Respectable post. I don’t see the point of “fighting” on an online forum. What good will that bring? I don’t think the mods meant to be racist. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. While could have worded their posts more gently, I doubt their intention was to offend anyone. Calling them racist is quite a stretch.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests