Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR Dilemma - Help needed

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tyl80
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 2:07 pm

PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by tyl80 » Fri, 02 Oct 2020 3:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

Apologies in advance for the long post. To start with here is my profile.

Duration in Singapore: Around 10 years. Came here in end 2010.
Race: Indian
Age: 39 years
Marriage: Married to an Indian, 8 years of marriage, have a son 6 years old.
Profile: IT Consultant. Working for Global Technology MNC (not a bank). ICT and Advanced digital technologies. Total 16 years exp (14 years in the current company)
Education: Bachelor of Computer engineering degree from India. Take it as info only if this helps in your assessment, my engineering university is top 10 in India.
Current Salary: 200k+; Spouse not working

I applied for Singapore PR 2 times (2014, 2017) and didn’t get it. Started to get that being an Indian my PR Chances are dismal and I should have a plan B as a place to call home feeling started hounding.

Started preparing for Australia PR last year 2019 and applied for it under skilled migration program. Meanwhile, I still wanted to give a try to my first love Singapore - and this time we got our PR (all in family) approved this year March 2020. My assessment for the positive result is more time and significant increment in my salary.

As the luck would have it, my Australia PR (all in family) also got approved recently.

Here is my current mental set and question:

My family and I love Singapore. It's given us so much, we have built a life, got great local friends. Weather and proximity to extended family and many great tourists places a short flight away is awesome. Financially - income taxes, goods and food price, transport - all are great. Have no qualms about sending my son to NS, we are perfectly fine with it.

Australia offers many things (good and bad) but to cut the chase - as per my assessment the only motivator for us to move there is a guaranteed Citizenship in 5-6 years.

One of our biggest wish at the moment is to get a Citizenship and settle for good and grow the family, if possible. Now, Singapore citizenship process is a black box, it may happen in 3 years, 5 years or 20 years or never, but Australia provides a sure citizenship pathway and timeline.

Given my profile, what do you reckon:

Shall I hedge my bet on remaining in Singapore and expect a citizenship within 3 to 8 years?
Shall I make a move to Australia?
Am I thinking wrongly or narrowly, and I should consider more things?

Any other inputs will be really helpful.

Cheers

bgd
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 4:09 pm

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by bgd » Fri, 02 Oct 2020 4:08 pm

tyl80 wrote:
Fri, 02 Oct 2020 3:35 pm
One of our biggest wish at the moment is to get a Citizenship and settle for good and grow the family, if possible. Now, Singapore citizenship process is a black box, it may happen in 3 years, 5 years or 20 years or never, but Australia provides a sure citizenship pathway and timeline.
This sums it up. Australia. You could be here forever and never get citizenship.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by TropicalExpat » Fri, 02 Oct 2020 4:48 pm

tyl80 wrote:
Fri, 02 Oct 2020 3:35 pm
Hi Everyone,

Apologies in advance for the long post. To start with here is my profile.

Duration in Singapore: Around 10 years. Came here in end 2010.
Race: Indian
Age: 39 years
Marriage: Married to an Indian, 8 years of marriage, have a son 6 years old.
Profile: IT Consultant. Working for Global Technology MNC (not a bank). ICT and Advanced digital technologies. Total 16 years exp (14 years in the current company)
Education: Bachelor of Computer engineering degree from India. Take it as info only if this helps in your assessment, my engineering university is top 10 in India.
Current Salary: 200k+; Spouse not working

I applied for Singapore PR 2 times (2014, 2017) and didn’t get it. Started to get that being an Indian my PR Chances are dismal and I should have a plan B as a place to call home feeling started hounding.

Started preparing for Australia PR last year 2019 and applied for it under skilled migration program. Meanwhile, I still wanted to give a try to my first love Singapore - and this time we got our PR (all in family) approved this year March 2020. My assessment for the positive result is more time and significant increment in my salary.

As the luck would have it, my Australia PR (all in family) also got approved recently.

Here is my current mental set and question:

My family and I love Singapore. It's given us so much, we have built a life, got great local friends. Weather and proximity to extended family and many great tourists places a short flight away is awesome. Financially - income taxes, goods and food price, transport - all are great. Have no qualms about sending my son to NS, we are perfectly fine with it.

Australia offers many things (good and bad) but to cut the chase - as per my assessment the only motivator for us to move there is a guaranteed Citizenship in 5-6 years.

One of our biggest wish at the moment is to get a Citizenship and settle for good and grow the family, if possible. Now, Singapore citizenship process is a black box, it may happen in 3 years, 5 years or 20 years or never, but Australia provides a sure citizenship pathway and timeline.

Given my profile, what do you reckon:

Shall I hedge my bet on remaining in Singapore and expect a citizenship within 3 to 8 years?
Shall I make a move to Australia?
Am I thinking wrongly or narrowly, and I should consider more things?

Any other inputs will be really helpful.

Cheers
Cut and run while you get the chance to move to Oz. They might become stricter with immigration in the future.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2898
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 02 Oct 2020 6:47 pm

tyl80 wrote:
Fri, 02 Oct 2020 3:35 pm
Hi Everyone,

Apologies in advance for the long post. To start with here is my profile.

Duration in Singapore: Around 10 years. Came here in end 2010.
Race: Indian
Age: 39 years
Marriage: Married to an Indian, 8 years of marriage, have a son 6 years old.
Profile: IT Consultant. Working for Global Technology MNC (not a bank). ICT and Advanced digital technologies. Total 16 years exp (14 years in the current company)
Education: Bachelor of Computer engineering degree from India. Take it as info only if this helps in your assessment, my engineering university is top 10 in India.
Current Salary: 200k+; Spouse not working

I applied for Singapore PR 2 times (2014, 2017) and didn’t get it. Started to get that being an Indian my PR Chances are dismal and I should have a plan B as a place to call home feeling started hounding.

Started preparing for Australia PR last year 2019 and applied for it under skilled migration program. Meanwhile, I still wanted to give a try to my first love Singapore - and this time we got our PR (all in family) approved this year March 2020. My assessment for the positive result is more time and significant increment in my salary.

As the luck would have it, my Australia PR (all in family) also got approved recently.

Here is my current mental set and question:

My family and I love Singapore. It's given us so much, we have built a life, got great local friends. Weather and proximity to extended family and many great tourists places a short flight away is awesome. Financially - income taxes, goods and food price, transport - all are great. Have no qualms about sending my son to NS, we are perfectly fine with it.

Australia offers many things (good and bad) but to cut the chase - as per my assessment the only motivator for us to move there is a guaranteed Citizenship in 5-6 years.

One of our biggest wish at the moment is to get a Citizenship and settle for good and grow the family, if possible. Now, Singapore citizenship process is a black box, it may happen in 3 years, 5 years or 20 years or never, but Australia provides a sure citizenship pathway and timeline.

Given my profile, what do you reckon:

Shall I hedge my bet on remaining in Singapore and expect a citizenship within 3 to 8 years?
Shall I make a move to Australia?
Am I thinking wrongly or narrowly, and I should consider more things?

Any other inputs will be really helpful.

Cheers
If it was me, I will stay and live in Singapore :D

Because nothing in life is certain. What if you move to Aus and they tighten citizenship criteria in the next 1-2 years? Atleast in Singapore you have lived for 10 years and have better chances for citizenship? A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush

In my view,You may get citizenship after another 5 years in SG.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37373
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Oct 2020 9:01 pm

Have you factored in the outright racism (sometimes violent) that is in Australia just like in the US? This should be a consideration factor as well.

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by the observer » Fri, 02 Oct 2020 10:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 02 Oct 2020 9:01 pm
Have you factored in the outright racism (sometimes violent) that is in Australia just like in the US? This should be a consideration factor as well.
Asian bashing has primarily been mongoloid focused.
Marginally, it’s better for him.

tyl80
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 2:07 pm

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by tyl80 » Sat, 03 Oct 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond. Mixed opinions, defo not an easy choice but I really appreciate all your responses!

Let's say I take my chances with Singapore. May I further seek your opinion on - Based on my profile (& race)
1. Do I have good chance for getting SG citizenship in due time?
2. What would you say/guess about the estimated time for this to happen from now onwards?
3. What would help in fattening my chances or to expedite the process. Buy condo? get a job for wife? earn more salary? join/attend RN meetings? anything else?
4. In general (somewhat related to above one) - how to demonstrate real and tangible "sinking the roots in SG"?
5. Would getting a masters degree from SG help?

Final question - Is PR -> SC the same uphill battle as Foreigner -> PR OR this is going to be relatively easier? :)

Thanks again for your earlier responses and for reading this one.

Have a good weekend! Cheers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by bro75 » Sat, 03 Oct 2020 3:09 pm

Disclaimer, I do not have first hand experience of living in Australia. I was only there as a tourist but know some people and read about some people's experiences about immigrating there.

Australia provides an easier and simpler life and you will have less worry that you cannot afford healthcare, university for your children and retirement. PR to citizenship is almost guaranteed in Australia. But, depending on the industry, you may not get the salary and savings that you are getting in Singapore and for many, their career prospects are less in Australia but you do not need a high flying career to live a decent life in Australia.

Singapore is a better place if you are focused on building assets and are confident that you can provide for your own retirement, healthcare, and your children's future education. Singapore has fewer social safety nets so it is something to think about. I think your citizenship chances are higher because your PR was approved when it was very difficult to get approved but it is still not guaranteed.

Continue to ask around while you are undecided especially ask those with similar profiles as you who are now down under.

I know you can accept the Singapore PR now but I am not sure if you also accept Aussie PR when do you need to start being resident there.

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by the observer » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 6:41 pm

Regardless of where you go, if you’re a minority, expect some forms of discrimination.

Fact of life.

Nobody can tell what’s going to happen even 1 year from now, so who knows what the new world will be in years to come in Australia.
Especially when you have children.

From Hindu nationalism via Modi, to white supremacy via Trump, whatever you want to call this current sentiment, it looks like it will be here to stay.

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by the observer » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 6:50 pm

My 2cts, if I was Indian, I’d consider the UK, above other countries.

Caveat: I am not.

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by the observer » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 6:55 pm

The last part of your question re citizenship in Sg, based on current sentiment, it’s very hard.

It all boils down to the racial quota and the competition.

vig.srinivasan93
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 10:11 pm

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by vig.srinivasan93 » Mon, 05 Oct 2020 7:40 am

This is in regard to "the observer" posting on 4th Oct 2020 .... "From Hindu nationalism via Modi, to white supremacy via Trump, whatever you want to call this current sentiment, it looks like it will be here to stay." Do you know the rights of minorities in India. Without knowing anything dont comment on India. As such you r not an indian and hence dont try to bull..... here. I hope you understood the message. Who asked you (if you were an indian which country you will consider)... you know UK how they give sanctuary to all kinds of "FRAUDSTERS" in the name of Human rights... Any how you have not posted anything valuable and you are not knowing anything on this subject. So my advise is better keep your mouth shut.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 05 Oct 2020 8:23 am

vig.srinivasan93 wrote:
Mon, 05 Oct 2020 7:40 am
This is in regard to "the observer" posting on 4th Oct 2020 .... "From Hindu nationalism via Modi, to white supremacy via Trump, whatever you want to call this current sentiment, it looks like it will be here to stay." Do you know the rights of minorities in India. Without knowing anything dont comment on India. As such you r not an indian and hence dont try to bull..... here. I hope you understood the message. Who asked you (if you were an indian which country you will consider)... you know UK how they give sanctuary to all kinds of "FRAUDSTERS" in the name of Human rights... Any how you have not posted anything valuable and you are not knowing anything on this subject. So my advise is better keep your mouth shut.
"Without knowing anything don't comment" is too broad. It's like saying: if you don't understand economic theory, don't talk about the state of the economy or ... if you never studied medicine, don't talk about your medical conditions ...

You're allowed to say you disagree with the observer ... but the observer is allowed to say what he likes within reason.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7447
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 05 Oct 2020 8:55 am

Why do you need a second citizenship? Work here, build your assets and move back to India far better off when you are ready for retirement or even earlier - the long term growth potential in India is far higher than Australia or Singapore. You'll struggle every day financially in Australia, it is not like the US and is far more expensive than Singapore (I am am an Australian).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7447
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR Dilemma - Help needed

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 05 Oct 2020 8:56 am

vig.srinivasan93 wrote:
Mon, 05 Oct 2020 7:40 am
This is in regard to "the observer" posting on 4th Oct 2020 .... "From Hindu nationalism via Modi, to white supremacy via Trump, whatever you want to call this current sentiment, it looks like it will be here to stay." Do you know the rights of minorities in India. Without knowing anything dont comment on India. As such you r not an indian and hence dont try to bull..... here. I hope you understood the message. Who asked you (if you were an indian which country you will consider)... you know UK how they give sanctuary to all kinds of "FRAUDSTERS" in the name of Human rights... Any how you have not posted anything valuable and you are not knowing anything on this subject. So my advise is better keep your mouth shut.
Typical oversensitive hindi mummys boy got triggered.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SGS2020 and 6 guests