Singapore Expats

Expat moving back to home country but want kids to continue study in Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jurongwest232608

Expat moving back to home country but want kids to continue study in Singapore

Post by jurongwest232608 » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 3:31 am

hi All. Would appreciate your input on my situation.

We are an expat family been staying in Singapore for nearly 8years already (originally from PH). Kids on dependent pass and are studying in International School; wife working under her own SPass (initially she was my dependent, but successfully landed a job, and has independent pass now).
With the recent business situation, I am being asked by my company to return to home country (PH) due to budget constraints. Given that my kids are under dependent pass with me, the moment I go back and cancel my pass, they will need to go back with me also. Currently, I would want them to continue to stay here and finish their schooling, while my wife is still here working also.
Want to check with all of you if its possible for them to convert to student pass the moment their dependent pass gets cancelled. When is the best timing for me to apply and move them to Student pass if ever. We have a current PR application, but I dont think results would be out before my intended move to home country.
I would really love them to stay here first and finish their school by June 2021 before considering any options of going back to PH or somewhere else.
What are the chance that their student pass will be approved? Will it be an issue if currently all the house contract are with me? even our helpers pass is tied to me. I am afraid that the government will not grant to have it move to my wife.
Thanks for all your input.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Expat moving back to home country but want kids to continue study in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 8:59 am

You definitely have an issue but I believe you can move your kids to a student pass. You will need the school's support to do that so begin now.

As for your FDW I think that will be possible to move under your wife's name altho MOM may see it as a transfer and disallow (they are being tough on transfers for FDW at the moment).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jurongwest232608

Re: Expat moving back to home country but want kids to continue study in Singapore

Post by jurongwest232608 » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 12:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 30 Sep 2020 8:59 am
You definitely have an issue but I believe you can move your kids to a student pass. You will need the school's support to do that so begin now.

As for your FDW I think that will be possible to move under your wife's name altho MOM may see it as a transfer and disallow (they are being tough on transfers for FDW at the moment).
Thanks for your input. Yes I started checking with school and seems they can support application of student pass. I want to know if this option is typically approved or there's also a risk of being rejected.

For the FDW, my concern is that my wife's salary is not as big as what I have currently - I am getting around 10K, while she only get 4K. So I am not sure whether they will allow her to be employer of a FDW.

Honestly, we shouldnt have any problem supporting the kids financially while I move back to home country, the only issue at this point is the issuance of pass. And whether the government will allow this setup. I dont know if there is any venue to explain to MOM or MOE the situation.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 2:32 pm

Student pass is straight forward.

The salary enough for fdw i think.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Ag22

Post by Ag22 » Sat, 03 Oct 2020 10:05 pm

Need advice for similar situation -
I hold EP for more than 4.5 yrs now (annual salary SGD 150k). My wife and child (13 yrs) on DP.
Job looking at risk and HR saying passes might not renew and given current job scenario i dont think i can get job here in Singapore. But want child to continue studying here in International School to avoid interuption and my wife be guardian here and i will go back once EP gets cancelled.
With this thought we applied Student pass for child and got the in-principal approval from ICA.
Now need to apply LTVP for my wife based on student pass of my child. Can this be processed now given that child student pass is approved? Or need to wait and apply only after my EP is cancelled/ expires (and effectively linked DP of my wife is also cancelled).
Appreciate your advice

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 12:54 pm

Ag22 wrote:
Sat, 03 Oct 2020 10:05 pm
Need advice for similar situation -
I hold EP for more than 4.5 yrs now (annual salary SGD 150k). My wife and child (13 yrs) on DP.
Job looking at risk and HR saying passes might not renew and given current job scenario i dont think i can get job here in Singapore. But want child to continue studying here in International School to avoid interuption and my wife be guardian here and i will go back once EP gets cancelled.
With this thought we applied Student pass for child and got the in-principal approval from ICA.
Now need to apply LTVP for my wife based on student pass of my child. Can this be processed now given that child student pass is approved? Or need to wait and apply only after my EP is cancelled/ expires (and effectively linked DP of my wife is also cancelled).
Appreciate your advice
is your job at risk or your HR fears that MOM approval may not be easy? What do you work as? I think for 150K p.a, the chance of your Epass renewal being denied is going to be very low.

Ag22

Post by Ag22 » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 1:02 pm

Job at risk. Since pass renewal due within 3 months which is same as my notice period, looks like HR will not support renewal.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 1:08 pm

Ag22 wrote:
Sun, 04 Oct 2020 1:02 pm
Job at risk. Since pass renewal due within 3 months which is same as my notice period, looks like HR will not support renewal.
In my understanding you can proceed for the LTVP for your wife based on your child's student pass. It is almost same on how you got the student pass IPA for your child while still on DP

Ag22

Post by Ag22 » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks. This gave me confidence. :)

I just wanted to ensure that MOM doesnt view it as circumventing any rule since my wife already hold DP which is as of now still valid (but sadly i expect it to be cancelled alongwith my EP).
Thanks again for taking time and replying. Appreciate your help.

jurongwest232608

Post by jurongwest232608 » Mon, 05 Oct 2020 7:33 pm

Ag22 wrote:
Sun, 04 Oct 2020 1:12 pm
Thanks. This gave me confidence. :)

I just wanted to ensure that MOM doesnt view it as circumventing any rule since my wife already hold DP which is as of now still valid (but sadly i expect it to be cancelled alongwith my EP).
Thanks again for taking time and replying. Appreciate your help.
all the best to you mate. didnt you consider applying for other jobs here? for all you know you might be able to get something and continue to be here with your family.