Singapore Expats Forum

Anxious abt EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

anxiousEP

Anxious abt EP

Postby anxiousEP » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 6:49 pm

Hello All.

I am sorry to post yet another repetitive query on EP processing time. But anxiety is getting better off on me. Please bear with me.

Its already a month since the employer has applied for EP, but still no news about the progress. Employer's response has been that EP processing is taking more time than usual nowadays. Agreed that the application processing started during Chinese New Year time period which might be causing the delay, but I am curious to know if any one was successful in obtaining an EP having their application filed after Feb 15th or so. This wll help me to understand the current average processing time for EP.

FYI, am an IT professional, 6 yrs exp currently having an offer of around 5K.

Thanks in advance!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 8:57 pm

You understand of course, that no one here actually has any idea of what MoM is up to, how long things take, or if the criteria have changed.

Since your employer says things are taking longer than usual, they are the place to ask questions first. They know the process, they know the people they work with, and they know if your EP will be in trouble.

If someone here says, "No problem," you'll feel good, yet it means exactly as much as the next fellow who says, "You have no chance." Both are based upon pure speculation with no information, neither knows how it will actually come down.

Good luck.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:04 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You understand of course, that no one here actually has any idea of what MoM is up to, how long things take, or if the criteria have changed.

Now now... strictly speaking you are, of course, correct but the MoM isn't completely random and even us non-employees can deduce general patterns. For example, the fact that the OP's salary is $5k means that he's applying for a P2 visa, which are for the kind of people Singapore likes and are thus generally approved unless there is a reason not to.

So hang in there, anxiousEP... and if you want to be a little paranoid, double check with the MoM directly to make sure your application has indeed been filed and is being processed, and that you're not just being strung along by an unscrupulous employer.

AlsoAnxiousEP

I Share Your Feelings

Postby AlsoAnxiousEP » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:51 am

AnxiousEP, I share your feelings since I myself am waiting for the employment pass, and I thought that with a higher salary (my offer was SGD9500), and therefore a P1 pass, I thought that it would actually be faster. It's already been 2 weeks, and now they say that it normally takes 3 weeks.

I am not sure if there is any reason for me to panik, but like the above, they can tell me, no problem or you won't have a chance, but one thing for certain, we will always have our hopes to hang on!!!

Let me know how yours goes, and I'll do ditto

anxiousEP

Anxious abt EP

Postby anxiousEP » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 3:16 pm

Its true to the fact as posted above, nothing is for sure until you hear from MOM and just hangin' there is the only way out. Atlast, after a month, now I got to know that EP has been approved. But it was indeed a test of nerves waiting for EP approval all these days.

Now that the EP is approved and I will be getting a copy of the letter from MOM, will this copy suffice as a valid document to clear immigration while departing from my country? I was told that the original will be handed over to me once I land in Singapore and that will be used to stamp to my passport.

Postby Guest » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 7:37 pm

you need original In Principle Approval letter in order to clear the immigration. So, ask your company to post it to you as soon as they receive it from MOM.

it took 1 week for my company to receive letter after my ep was approved

teov

Postby teov » Fri, 25 Mar 2005 1:08 am

For what it is worth: my company applied on March 11, in principle approval letter is dated March 21, I received the approval letter today (March 24) from my company. Monthly salary S$ 12.5K

AlsoAnxiousEP

Have you gotten your EP yet?

Postby AlsoAnxiousEP » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 7:25 pm

This week is week number 3 and still no news from MOM. Tension is starting to build. I think my application was submitted on the 4th of March. Again monthly salary is 9.5K. Any news from MOM or any cause of the delay? Easter??

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”