Domestic helpers working in close family members' home

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Domestic helpers working in close family members' home

Post by abbby » Fri, 18 Sep 2020 9:16 am

It's hard to draw the line, but it is always good to clarify the work requirements from the start of employment and compensate the helper fairly for any extra help that one need.

I've even seen and heard helpers working at stalls and shops of employers, this I think is overboard.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/co ... e-13120432
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Domestic helpers working in close family members' home

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 08 Mar 2021 10:39 am

I’m pretty sure having them work at stalls is illegal, perpetrators can be hit with a pretty hefty fine.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Mar 2021 2:07 am

Technically you cannot have the helper work in any location except the location where she is staying which is the address of the person who engaged her. The only way they can work at a close relative's house is if she is there with her employer as a gathering and then only light housekeeping. I don't think that has changed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 09 Mar 2021 9:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 09 Mar 2021 2:07 am
Technically you cannot have the helper work in any location except the location where she is staying which is the address of the person who engaged her. The only way they can work at a close relative's house is if she is there with her employer as a gathering and then only light housekeeping. I don't think that has changed.
Also if there are children in the FDW employer's house, FDW can be with them in other locations and looking after them (which could include domestic duties).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 09 Mar 2021 12:55 pm

We used to have a FDW taking care of my mother in-law, however after she unfortunately passed we had her employment transferred to another family member who was looking for a helper. We liked her a lot, so we were glad she was able to stay with the family.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 11:38 am

This straight from my email this morning from the MOM should help to clarify. Posting it in it's entirety.

Code: Select all

Dear Sir/Madam

As an employer, you must comply with the Work Permit regulatory conditions for your 
foreign domestic worker (FDW). These include only getting your FDW to perform domestic 
chores at the  registered residential address with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

However, you may need your FDW to take care of your child or parent at a relative’s house.

If you need this arrangement, you must notify MOM before allowing the FDW to work at 
your relative’s house. For more details, please refer to our website .

If your FDW is already taking care of your child or parent at a relative’s house, you must 
notify MOM within 3 months of this email.

Enforcement action may be taken for failing to obtain MOM’s approval.

This is a computer-generated email. Please do not reply.

Yours sincerely

Penny Han

Controller of Work Passes

Ministry of Manpower
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers