Why did this forum die?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Locked
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4162
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 15 Sep 2020 3:01 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Tue, 15 Sep 2020 11:15 am
Thanks WD.

That said, it looks like we're at opposite ends of the spectrum. I believe Tech is in for a mega-thrashing and it's going to drag everything else down with it. AFAIC, what we're seeing now is dotcom bubble deja-vu all over again.

Of course I can't say when it's going to happen, but it's going to happen. And I reckon the plunge will make March look like an aperitif.

Mind you, I don't blindly believe the Ray Dalios, the Jim Rogers et al, but it's just that what they're saying now makes so much sense; we're in the end game, dude.

In my opinion, it needs to get really, really ugly first, before we can have green shoots. What we're seeing now aren't green shoots; way too many zombies around. Way too much money sloshing around, creating this asset inflation scenario.

The reason I asked about SIA is because I've liked fallen angels in the past and SIA looks tantalizing. But given above, I'll just keep my powder dry for when the bottom falls out of the current madness. Once that happens, I'll go to town.

BTW, the STI looks a bit stodgy, agreed. But Singapore is in the process of a major pivot; AI, fintech, crypto, DeFi, matter of time before all of it is here. This country can turn on a dime sial.

Edit: syntax.
Reason why tech valuation is being justified is that, a lot of the trends towards digital that were already in progress, have got really fast tracked due to this new normal. Something like what would have happened in 5 years has happened in 6 months. The tech companies that have come out with results have all beaten expectations. So it is very different from 2000 dotcom bubble. This time the companies have real earnings and they have huge monopolies which cannot be easily broken.

That is the justification. Ofcourse there could be some bubble stocks in that space, but calling the whole thing a bubble is not accurate.

Regarding STI and SGX, it is just that the exchange doesnt have volume or interest from international investors. Singapore surely has and will have a lot of fintech and AI companies, but they would choose to skip SGX, as they will never get the kind of valuations like Alibaba, Tencent, Zoom, etc if they list in SGX. So they would choose to list on HKEX or Nasdaq where there a global pool of abundant liquidity.

Singapore is great wealth management centre, but unfortunately SGX doesnt have the ambition to become a leading stock exchange like HKEX or Nasdaq. They still have high listing and trading costs. Very low volumes. SGX is going the way of other ASEAN exhanges like Malaysia, Jakarta etc.

This article explains this well:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... ock-market

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:31 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:19 am

I get you, WD. On the STI issues anyway. The fact that it's been hovering around 3k-ish for yonks whilst other indeces have moved way up and down speaks "volumes".

But stodgy or not, after it's cratered, it'll bounce. It's this bounce I'm after.

BTW, FYI, I'm diversified elsewhere.

As for Tech, essentially, our opinions don't differ much. Tech will be huge. The problem is that momentum has overshot and will continue to overshoot for x days/weeks/months, until some catalyst hits and the entire thing subsequently stop-losses way back down. Most punters will ride the plunge all the way to the bottom, because timely consolidation or a buying opportunity.

So yeah, back to square 1.

Bots, retail, day-traders, especially Robin Hood millennials, are going to be the spanner in the works.

Meanwhile, see how lor.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4162
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 17 Sep 2020 9:24 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:19 am
I get you, WD. On the STI issues anyway. The fact that it's been hovering around 3k-ish for yonks whilst other indeces have moved way up and down speaks "volumes".

But stodgy or not, after it's cratered, it'll bounce. It's this bounce I'm after.

BTW, FYI, I'm diversified elsewhere.

As for Tech, essentially, our opinions don't differ much. Tech will be huge. The problem is that momentum has overshot and will continue to overshoot for x days/weeks/months, until some catalyst hits and the entire thing subsequently stop-losses way back down. Most punters will ride the plunge all the way to the bottom, because timely consolidation or a buying opportunity.

So yeah, back to square 1.

Bots, retail, day-traders, especially Robin Hood millennials, are going to be the spanner in the works.

Meanwhile, see how lor.
Yeah :) The last couple of weeks volatility in Nasdaq seems to be the start of the shake out of the newly minted robinhood options traders.

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:31 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 18 Sep 2020 1:09 pm

Standing by :)

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by Splatted » Sat, 31 Oct 2020 4:01 pm

It's mainly because of Facebook groups.

I disagree that this forum is dead, but certainly the newer generation of expats are more
familiar with Facebook as a platform and join the relevant facebook group of interest there.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38719
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Oct 2020 6:07 pm

Now that's definitely a post from the Dark Side. At least we know you are still alive and functioning! :cool: Halloween post? :mrgreen:
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by Splatted » Thu, 12 Nov 2020 10:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 6:07 pm
Now that's definitely a post from the Dark Side. At least we know you are still alive and functioning! :cool: Halloween post? :mrgreen:
I lost my password for a while, when my mobile phone died

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by the observer » Thu, 12 Nov 2020 11:29 am

Splatted wrote:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 4:01 pm
It's mainly because of Facebook groups.

I disagree that this forum is dead, but certainly the newer generation of expats are more
familiar with Facebook as a platform and join the relevant facebook group of interest there.
Facebook is a little passe.
Its telegram group chats now. Max membership of 200k users per chat.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38719
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Nov 2020 11:54 am

Parler to replace twitter?
MeWe Network to replace FB?

https://sea.mashable.com/tech/13165/wha ... ith-parler
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by nakatago » Thu, 26 Nov 2020 1:14 pm

Got tired of people asking if their PR/EP will be approved.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38719
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Nov 2020 4:00 pm

Howdy stranger!
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by malcontent » Thu, 26 Nov 2020 4:22 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Mon, 14 Sep 2020 5:59 pm
I am more of an index fund, macro person than individual stocks person.
My first 10 years of investing were wasted trying to pick stocks & time the market, which was a disaster. The next 10 years were night and day different, disciplined dollar cost averaging into nothing but broadly diversified, low-cost index ETFs, which has been great. Just wish I’d started earlier.
Wd40 wrote:
Mon, 14 Sep 2020 5:59 pm
It is better to stay away from Singapore stocks.
This is so very true. I also have some regrets there. Singapore has consistently underperformed other equity markets over the 24 years I’ve been here. Yes, there is the issue of less liquidity, but there is also less earnings growth which is the fundamental thing that drives stock price. This is why valuations appear attractive here, because investors are discounting future earnings growth prospects due to what they have seen historically.
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 26 Nov 2020 4:00 pm
Howdy stranger!
These are not the droids you are looking for... ::waves fingers::

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 2:44 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by Pal » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 1:55 pm

Splatted wrote:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 4:01 pm
It's mainly because of Facebook groups.

I disagree that this forum is dead, but certainly the newer generation of expats are more
familiar with Facebook as a platform and join the relevant facebook group of interest there.
Hello Splatted! Welcome back to the family :cool:
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Why did this forum die?

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 9:27 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 26 Nov 2020 4:22 pm
Wd40 wrote:
Mon, 14 Sep 2020 5:59 pm
I am more of an index fund, macro person than individual stocks person.
My first 10 years of investing were wasted trying to pick stocks & time the market, which was a disaster. The next 10 years were night and day different, disciplined dollar cost averaging into nothing but broadly diversified, low-cost index ETFs, which has been great. Just wish I’d started earlier.
Wd40 wrote:
Mon, 14 Sep 2020 5:59 pm
It is better to stay away from Singapore stocks.
This is so very true. I also have some regrets there. Singapore has consistently underperformed other equity markets over the 24 years I’ve been here. Yes, there is the issue of less liquidity, but there is also less earnings growth which is the fundamental thing that drives stock price. This is why valuations appear attractive here, because investors are discounting future earnings growth prospects due to what they have seen historically.
What ETFs do you like Mal?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Locked
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests