Singapore Expats

Diabetes Awareness in Singapore

Post here for survey, questionnaire or poll for our expat members.

Did the quiz helped?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

HAICADiabetes

Diabetes Awareness in Singapore

Post by HAICADiabetes » Tue, 08 Sep 2020 3:00 pm

Hi there,

What do you know about diabetes? And do you want to learn more? We are a team of researchers from Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Centre for Population Health Sciences. Your response here can help us understand how knowledge, attitudes, and stress can affect diabetes management. Click on the link below to find out.

This survey will take 10 to 30 minutes to complete, and you will know how good your knowledge is. :wink:
Take the diabetes quiz here: http://bit.ly/lkcdiabetesquiz
It is for those 21 years or older.

If you have any questions, you can reply to this thread or contact us via [email protected].
Thank you for your participation, and stay safe amidst this unprecedented period!

Once again, this study is conducted by the Centre for Population Health Sciences from Lee Kong Chian, School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU-IRB reference no.: IRB-2020-04-011).
Attachments
Social Media Survey poster_online v8.0_compressed_Part4-page-001.jpg

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Diabetes Awareness in Singapore

Post by abbby » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 1:37 am

A lot of people assume sugar only comes from sweet drinks but carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, noodles and rice are also high in sugar.

So I'm going to cut back on my carbo intake.. 😔
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 11:22 am

This is exactly what I've been preaching for the past 12 years since I cut out 95% of my carb intake and lost 25kg in the process (also brought my HBP and cholesterol back down to normal levels).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 11:24 am

This is exactly what I've been preaching for the past 12 years since I cut out 95% of my carb intake and lost 25kg in the process (also brought my HBP and cholesterol back down to normal levels).
I am a new Man! \:D/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 11:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 06 Dec 2020 11:24 am
Your body gets used to the 'low carb/no carb' intake? Replacing carbs with eggs, meat and vegetables, is it a good way?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 12:05 pm

I'm 73 now and most cannot guess my actual age and are usually guessing around my age when I changed my lifestyle (55~60 is the normal guess). The food pyramid has been changed in recent years and carbs are no longer on the bottom of the pyramid. In fact, they are on the very top (the least needed intake). You nailed my diet. eggs, meat & veggies (meat includes seafood & poultry as well). I do not eat any veggies that grow beneath the ground. Mostly green leafy ones.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 1:47 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 06 Dec 2020 11:32 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 06 Dec 2020 11:24 am
Your body gets used to the 'low carb/no carb' intake? Replacing carbs with eggs, meat and vegetables, is it a good way?
Pretty much. You can actually carry on on almost pure protein / high fat diet for long time as long as you supplement what you missed from fruits and veggies (minerals, vitamins, fibers) and avoid red meat and you are a healthy person, especially no slightest problems with kidneys and liver. But If you are into rapid weight lost (4-6kg a month in the low metabolism stage), then at least from my experience mixed, balanced diet is more effective. And more healthy.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 1:52 pm

Great thanks for the diet advice Sundaymorningstaple and x9200.

Can I clarify a few pts:

1. Can eggs be cooked in all forms ? ie: scambled, poached, omelette or must it be hard boiled?

2. Are pork and duck considered as red meat?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 3:17 pm

For the carbs replacement it does not really matter boiled or fried. For the eggs I think it is also perfectly ok to have them fried from the more general angle - the temperature / time is clearly not that high/long to result in any substantial thermal degradation, what is the base behind the claim of cancerogenic effects of frying (e.g. grilled meat -> benzo(a)pyren and such).

Duck is white meat. Pork is red (together with beef, lamb -> longer term, increase the risk of bowel/stoach cancers).

Some useful but not that obvious ingredients for low carb diet:
- cauliflower rice -> may replace rice in some dishes
- coconut cream -> can be used with practically no impact on the weight gain
- almond and coconut flour -> combined with eggs, fibres (e.g. oat bran) you can make very low carb and pretty edible bread.
- any mushrooms
- most of the nuts (sunflower, cashew)
- pickled cucumbers and sauerkraut
- kefir (fermented milk - fermentation feeds on lactose removing that sugar)
- konjac noodles - virtually zero carb replacement for noodles.
What I liked very much in high protein/fat diet was that you don't need to think at all about the fat. What you cook may soak and swim in oil and it has no or little effects on the weight.

But again, this sort of diet (long term) takes toll on your kidneys / liver so you have to be healthy and supplement yourself.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 3:34 pm

I eat an omelette EVERY morning without fail. Have done since I started the diet 12 years ago. I cook with either no oil at all (if the pan is a good non-stick) but generally I used a light spray with Olive oil (The only thing I cook with except when deep-frying my Tksgvg & Xmas turkeys (20 ltrs of Olive oil a bit too pricy so I use Canola for that) I never use Veg Oil. My Omelette is usually two 55 gm eggs with a slice of Tomato, some Green Pepper & and either a raw Swiss brown or white button Mushroom sliced thinly and occasionally I'll add a bit of grated cheese to it as well. I also have as slice of fresh papaya and a cup of Teh O kosong (Boh, double-bagged). During my actual diet I had to forgo the grated cheese and was only allowed a single egg (usually a AAA 90~110 gm egg especially gotten from the egg seller). Now days just two 55gm Pasar eggs.

Pork is the worst meat you can eat while on a diet. It's too fatty. I rarely eat it till now. Usually ham at Tksgvg & Xmas only. I red meat (very lean eye-round steak) while on my diet but it was limited to 135gm per serving / day I still eat the same today except around 140 gm. As I am a gout sufferer as well, I only eat it 3 times a week with Toman (Snakehead) on alternate days for my evening meal. I eat the same way as i did on my diet except I now tend to snack a bit and that's where the weight gain comes from. Till today, I do NOT cook with salt or use sugar as as condiment. I don't drink anything with sugar in it. Oh, I eat to live, not live to eat. I am like a vehicle, I run till the tank gets low and I top up the tank. Same thing all the time as eating is a chore, not a pastime. (Cannot ever be a SGC for that reason) :lol: :lol:

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 5:28 pm

I think I'll give ur recipe a try.. Its sounds pretty good. Will hv to adjust to less salt and cut back on sugar.