Singapore Expats

Vacating Apartment Early - Have to Leave Singapore - Covid19

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
beyond_wishes

Vacating Apartment Early - Have to Leave Singapore - Covid19

Post by beyond_wishes » Tue, 08 Sep 2020 12:24 am

Hi All,

I am new here. This is my first post.

We signed a TA for two years in March 2020. My role in the company has become redundant due to financial crises / pandemic. I am the sole bread earner in my family.

My company will either fire me (worst case) or try to transfer me to some other country (best case). I am unable to find any other job in Singapore so if the company decides to fire me I will have to move back to my native country (worst case) or move to some other country where my company decides to transfer me (best case).

In the tenancy agreement, there is diplomatic clause but it is applicable after 12+2 months. I am sure there will be many people going through similar situation as the pandemic has impacted many jobs and families. Would landlord be considerate of such situations? If no, is there any way to seek help from some authority/body?

I understand contract wise landlord has the right but landlord will also not keep the apartment vacant till May 2020 when we would have moved out of Singapore in October/November.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Vacating Apartment Early - Have to Leave Singapore - Covid19

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 08 Sep 2020 8:52 pm

IS the company paying the rent or willing to pick up the rent once you are terminated?

If not your options are to find another tenant, pay out the lease, convince the LL to go easy or do a bunk and forgo any deposits. You won't be pursued overseas.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!