Singapore Expats

Work permit holder pregnant

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Kkrena

Work permit holder pregnant

Post by Kkrena » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 1:26 am

Helping a friend to ask and would greatly appreciate any responses made :)

Male, 21,chinese, SC, currently studying no job
Female, 23, malaysian chinese, work permit holder
Apparently this friend of mine couldn't keep his gun in his pants well and got the girl pregnant while she is on work permit.
They applied to MOM to ask for permission to get married before they can file for ROM. I would like to ask how high are their chances of getting the approval?
I would like to think it as dim but i saw a few successful cases when i was scrolling through the forum so i am a bit confused to how it works.
Why is it that some positive cases are rejected yet cases like these are approved?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Work permit holder pregnant

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 9:25 am

I think he will get approval but it may depend on whether the MOM knows the girl is pregnant. The gahmen is generally in favour of people marrying and having kids within that marriage and a Malaysian Chinese gal fits the race profile perfectly. Now if your friend had impregnated a 40 yo Filipino maid it might be different (don't laugh - I've seen it done).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Kkrena

Post by Kkrena » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 11:37 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 9:25 am
I think he will get approval but it may depend on whether the MOM knows the girl is pregnant. The gahmen is generally in favour of people marrying and having kids within that marriage and a Malaysian Chinese gal fits the race profile perfectly. Now if your friend had impregnated a 40 yo Filipino maid it might be different (don't laugh - I've seen it done).
Hmm i was always under the impression that work permit holders are not suppose to get pregnant and would be deported once found out. Guess race and nationality makes a difference..
Would her work permit be cancelled if she is found pregnant though? She went for pregnancy check before they file for permission to get married from MOM.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 1:20 pm

https://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Late ... 81617.html

SINGAPORE - Human resources executive Q.H. Su, a Singaporean, fell in love with a plumber, a Malaysian, and became pregnant.
As the 26-year-old's fiance, Mr J.M. Lin, 30, was a work permit holder, they applied to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in September for approval to get married.

On Sept 28, the couple received a letter from the ministry rejecting their application.

The reason: Mr Lin had "infringed one of the work permit conditions as (his) relationship with the proposed spouse had resulted in her pregnancy without obtaining marriage approval from the Controller of Work Passes".

The letter said Mr Lin would also be banned from entering Singapore. His work permit was cancelled and he left Singapore on Oct 12.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 1:48 pm

therat wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 1:20 pm

SINGAPORE - Human resources executive Q.H. Su, a Singaporean, fell in love with a plumber, a Malaysian, and became pregnant.
As the 26-year-old's fiance, Mr J.M. Lin, 30, was a work permit holder, they applied to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in September for approval to get married.

On Sept 28, the couple received a letter from the ministry rejecting their application.

The reason: Mr Lin had "infringed one of the work permit conditions as (his) relationship with the proposed spouse had resulted in her pregnancy without obtaining marriage approval from the Controller of Work Passes".

The letter said Mr Lin would also be banned from entering Singapore. His work permit was cancelled and he left Singapore on Oct 12.
Of course you need to provide the additional info from the piece:
"Fortunately, Miss Su's "three weeks of hell" had a happy ending when her appeal against the rejection was successful.
She had sent an e-mail to MOM, the Prime Minister and her Member of Parliament on Oct 16 asking them to reconsider her case.
In a letter dated Oct 19, MOM said it would approve the couple's marriage application and lift Mr Lin's entry ban.
"

venton

Post by venton » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 2:07 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 1:48 pm
therat wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 1:20 pm

Of course you need to provide the additional info from the piece:
"Fortunately, Miss Su's "three weeks of hell" had a happy ending when her appeal against the rejection was successful.
She had sent an e-mail to MOM, the Prime Minister and her Member of Parliament on Oct 16 asking them to reconsider her case.
In a letter dated Oct 19, MOM said it would approve the couple's marriage application and lift Mr Lin's entry ban.
"
Maybe gahmen want to see how far you'd go and decide whether this is true love :oops:

Kkrena

Post by Kkrena » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 9:47 pm

In what cases would she be deported though? Seems like the law about pregnancy isn't really strict if the permit holder is malaysian and chinese.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Sep 2020 8:53 am

Kkrena wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 9:47 pm
In what cases would she be deported though? Seems like the law about pregnancy isn't really strict if the permit holder is malaysian and chinese.
It IS strict in all cases of WP holder's getting pregnant and surreptitiously trying to hide it or marry .... but you can be proactive by disclosing the relationship and requesting permission to marry.

Remember WP is a legalised form of slavery.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Kkrena

Post by Kkrena » Wed, 02 Sep 2020 10:19 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 02 Sep 2020 8:53 am
Kkrena wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 9:47 pm
It IS strict in all cases of WP holder's getting pregnant and surreptitiously trying to hide it or marry .... but you can be proactive by disclosing the relationship and requesting permission to marry.

Remember WP is a legalised form of slavery.
I see. What about applying for LTVP though? My friend is a student hence never worked before, no income, no cpf, family background not rich either. Is there a chance for his spouse to obtain LTVP? If it adds to his chances, WP is pregnant(though not married yet)