Singapore Expats Forum

How do you deal with a lonely and slow teenage

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Micher

How do you deal with a lonely and slow teenage

Postby Micher » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:26 pm

My niece is 15 years old. She is not the most intelligent girl in Singapore, infact she is rather slow. Unfortunately, she has been very lonely for a long time. She has not got any play mate of similar age. Her mother follows her everywhere.

She has been visiting the last few days and it makes my heart bleed to see her so lonely and quiet.

She does not take any initiative to do anything. Including making friends. Really slow (to be polite) or thick (to be rude). Infact I suspect she got learning disability.

Anyone got any bright idea of how I can help her. I am trying my best with her but it takes alot of effort to get just a few sentences from her. On one hand, she is driving me crazy, because she is hovering everything I do. On the other, I do wish to see her happier.

She mentions that she would like to learn to cook. Any idea where I can put her in a cooking class where it would be fun for her too.

foodie

cooking class

Postby foodie » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:56 pm

You may like to try sending her to classes by Cookery Magic. The teacher Ruqxana is very good. Her website is: www.cookerymagic.com

Fruit N Veg

Postby Fruit N Veg » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 1:08 am

Make her eat lots of fruit and veg....even when she is not with you.

Sad

Re: How do you deal with a lonely and slow teenage

Postby Sad » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 3:01 am

Micher wrote:My niece is 15 years old. She is not the most intelligent girl in Singapore, infact she is rather slow. Unfortunately, she has been very lonely for a long time. She has not got any play mate of similar age. Her mother follows her everywhere.

She has been visiting the last few days and it makes my heart bleed to see her so lonely and quiet.

She does not take any initiative to do anything. Including making friends. Really slow (to be polite) or thick (to be rude). Infact I suspect she got learning disability.

Anyone got any bright idea of how I can help her. I am trying my best with her but it takes alot of effort to get just a few sentences from her. On one hand, she is driving me crazy, because she is hovering everything I do. On the other, I do wish to see her happier.

She mentions that she would like to learn to cook. Any idea where I can put her in a cooking class where it would be fun for her too.

Sad!

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 2:12 pm

"How do you deal with a lonely and slow teenage"

Electro shock therapy.

Failing which get her outside and involved in sports or nature.

Take up a mountain in Malaysia and let her walk down.

Life is hard leaving in the city and we all need to get back to fundamentals sometimes

(Damn I sound like a new age grneeie now. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......)

Cleo

Re: How do you deal with a lonely and slow teenage

Postby Cleo » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:06 pm

Micher wrote:My niece is 15 years old. She is not the most intelligent girl in Singapore, infact she is rather slow. Unfortunately, she has been very lonely for a long time. She has not got any play mate of similar age. Her mother follows her everywhere.

Hi there,

I am feeling sorry for your niece after reading your ad. I am a consultant for teenagers who are troubled, lonely or in fact get into unhealthy activities. I guess, you would like to mail me and let me know when I could meet up with her and help her out to speak out. mizzycleo@yahoo.com.sg
Cleo - The Professional Bitch

try church

Postby try church » Sun, 10 Apr 2005 8:18 pm

you could send her to a large church youth group. Like city harvest for example. Let some youth leaders match her up with some like minded potential friends?